What changes could make the Maasdam HAL's new "Elegant Explorer"

OlsSalt

Sink the ship in shallow water and use it for a scuba tour.

CHPurser: Care to explain why the last VSP report on the Maasdam failed to find your claim of a rusted floor-mounted bread mixer? What is your personal vendetta against this ship and its ......(gasp) ....... fresh baked bread?

The tent city takes formerly public space and makes it private. Most cruisers have less public space than before. I have the same gripe about lanai cabins.

Totally agree with you on the tents. I’m assuming Maasdam has lots of lovely outdoor real estate and nooks and crannies like her sister Veendam. I’d hate to have Veendam tented and those areas taken away.

Totally agree with you on the tents. I’m assuming Maasdam has lots of lovely outdoor real estate and nooks and crannies like her sister Veendam. I’d hate to have Veendam tented and those areas taken away.

I don't really care about the retreat cabanas on Vista/Signature ships as I wouldn't go up there anyway. I do wish they would lose the Lido cabanas on Signature though. Seating up there is tough already- I see many complain about no Lido seating at lunch on Signature ships.

Easy.

Retire Masdam (and Veendam for that matter).

Then buy or build a purpose built ship of the desired size that incorporates the latest technologies and offers the desired itineraries.

Don't bother with a substitute ship/cruise ship that simply 'pretends' to be in that market when it really is not.

Failing that, shop the market for the ship/cruise line that meets the criteria instead patronizing a very tired one that has some slight modifications in order to capture an higher per diem rate prior to it's retirement.

Edited by iancal

CHPurser: Care to explain why the last VSP report on the Maasdam failed to find your claim of a rusted floor-mounted bread mixer? What is your personal vendetta against this ship and its ......(gasp) ....... fresh baked bread?

*backs out of thread slowly* if you need any more proof of how defensive people get...:eek:

Easy.

Retire Masdam (and Veendam for that matter).

Then buy or build a purpose built ship of the desired size that incorporates the latest technologies and offers the desired itineraries.

Don't bother with a substitute ship/cruise ship that simply 'pretends' to be in that market when it really is not.

Failing that, shop the market for the ship/cruise line that meets the criteria instead patronizing a very tired one that has some slight modifications in order to capture an higher per diem rate prior to it's retirement.

+1 Well said and the common sense thing to do. Now if HAL follows that strategy is another question.;)

My guess it that HAL is out of that market.

They simply do not want some of their most loyal customers to fully realize it yet in the belief that that there is still a few more years left in this 'sweet spot' until the penny drops so to speak. No doubt they are anticipating higher per diems, higher revenues and profit from an aging ship prior to withdrawing it from the market.

This reminds me very much of when Cadillac introduced the ill fated Cimarron. They took a low end Chevy Cavalier, jazzed it up a little, and attempted to flog it to loyal Cadillac customers as an alternative to competing luxury import models. The market was not as dumb and as label driven as GM thought. The Cimarron was a complete flop as buyers flocked to the high end import product.

If HAL attempts to position Masdam, or any other of their older ships, in this manner it will be nothing short of a blatant attempt to take advantage of their most loyal customer base. Perhaps HAL thinks that this segment of their loyal base is aging out so there is little downside for them

Edited by iancal