How to get to Citzvecchia (Rome) cruise port?

bromorg

Hi all-

My family of four booked the Jewel of the Seas going out of Rome over Labor Day. I was curious as to if anyone could recommend a reliable shuttle service from the city of Rome to the port? We will be coming in to Rome one day before the cruise and staying in the city.

Thank you!

Here is the Link to the Italy Ports of Call where you can ask your question. Anytime you need assistance when leaving from certain Ports, best place is the Ports of Call for the area your visiting, located 1/2 way on the main CC Page ( East, West Coast, FL, etc. Under Europe it is further broken down to where your embarking from. ( Italy, Spain, ETC )

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Hi all-

My family of four booked the Jewel of the Seas going out of Rome over Labor Day. I was curious as to if anyone could recommend a reliable shuttle service from the city of Rome to the port? We will be coming in to Rome one day before the cruise and staying in the city.

Thank you!

Back in 2015 we used Romecabs for transport from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport. We were very pleased. But check the Port of Call section for suggestions.

My friend is on a Greece Princess Cruise right now (July 12) They left out of Rome. I will ask her when she gets back in a day or two. I do know that they flew in a couple of days before the cruise and spent some time in Rome and got adjusted to time change and all.

There is always the trains. they run every 30 minutes or so. Then a quick cab ride to the port from the train station in Civitavecchia. If you buy the train tickets in advance they could be as low as 5 euro per person.

We just got back from our cruise out of Civitavecchia. We took the train from Rome Termini station to Civitavecchia for 5 Euros. At the train station you can get a port shuttle bus for 2 Euros (buy tickets in the store at the station). This brings you to the port where there are free shuttles to bring you to your cruise ship. The trains from Rome to Civit. run quite frequently. Just remember to validate your ticket in the machines before you get on the train.

Hi all-

Thank you!

We were on the Jewel in July out of Civitavecchia. We used Stefano's Rome Cabs for our 3 transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to port & port to airport) . Booked online at their website, confirmed via email, and we payed after transfer. They were very prompt and reliable.

We took train from Roma termini station to Civi.. Got off train along with lots of other cruisers. There were taxis waiting at station. We shared a taxi van with 4 others and paid him 5 euros each to drop us right at the ship terminal. Very easy except stairs were a hassle.

What Housusan is probably referring to are the stairs at Civi station. Rome's Termini station features level boarding (just note that there's express train service to Civi, as well as the cheaper regional train).

As this video shows, there are four train platforms at Civi station, connected by an underground concourse/passageway. If you're arriving by train, you'll need to be able to tote your luggage down a set of stairs and back up another. Then you can buy a 2 Euro bus ticket at the cigarette/snack shop inside the station for a 5 min. ride to the cruise port station, and then transfer to a cruise port shuttle.

The video shows a luxury coach that lists the cruise port but we were put onto one of those orange buses instead, so don't be afraid to ask once you arrive!

Hello....I have a question...does anyone know if the Freccebianca train from Rome to Civitivecchia has racks for storing large suitcases? We are taking the Frecce high speed from Venice to Rome, which has storage in each car for large luggage, and would like to take the Frecce train from Rome to Civitivecchia but can not find any info on whether this train has luggage racks for large pieces. TIA for any help. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

is a great document prepared by the port of Civitavecchia. It, and other documents on the cititavecchia.portmobility.it website cover things like how to get from the train station to the port, port to Rome, quickest way to get to Colosseum from Civitavecchia, cruise ship schedules, port map, newish Largo Della Pace service center for cruisers, etc. I found a wealth of information on there.

Hello....I have a question...does anyone know if the Freccebianca train from Rome to Civitivecchia has racks for storing large suitcases? We are taking the Frecce high speed from Venice to Rome, which has storage in each car for large luggage, and would like to take the Frecce train from Rome to Civitivecchia but can not find any info on whether this train has luggage racks for large pieces. TIA for any help. [emoji4]

There were luggage racks at the end of each car, and limited storage space directly above your seat. But be warned -- there will be a sizable number of cruise ship passengers taking the train to the port, and some may not have learned to travel lightly! So if your ship is a large one, or if multiple ships will be in port the same day, you might have to move from one car to another until you find space for your bags.

We didn't think about security at the time, but another passenger was concerned that somebody could make off with his suitcases since the racks were unmonitored at the end of the car, so he brought a bicycle chain to secure them.

There were luggage racks at the end of each car, and limited storage space directly above your seat. But be warned -- there will be a sizable number of cruise ship passengers taking the train to the port, and some may not have learned to travel lightly! So if your ship is a large one, or if multiple ships will be in port the same day, you might have to move from one car to another until you find space for your bags.

We didn't think about security at the time, but another passenger was concerned that somebody could make off with his suitcases since the racks were unmonitored at the end of the car, so he brought a bicycle chain to secure them.

Thank you drwong. It is hard to travel light sometimes when going on longer cruises. Especially if you have never had to train yourself to do so in the past. I am so guilty of that myself. Lol Yes, I have read suggestions of taking a retractable luggage lock but have also read that security of large luggage on the high speed trains are not as worrisome. And I am not sure this train makes any stops between the two stations. Thanks again for the info [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

You're right - the Frecciabianca is a non-stop between Termini and CV. The Regionale makes all the local stops - which provides more opportunities for luggage theft.

I hope you were able watch the video to see where to buy tickets for the local shuttle bus to take you to the cruise port stop, where you'll transfer to a second bus that takes you past the security gates to your ship's berth.

You're right - the Frecciabianca is a non-stop between Termini and CV. The Regionale makes all the local stops - which provides more opportunities for luggage theft.

I hope you were able watch the video to see where to buy tickets for the local shuttle bus to take you to the cruise port stop, where you'll transfer to a second bus that takes you past the security gates to your ship's berth.

Thank you for that. We were hoping that was true of no stops. We will be staying at a hotel the day we arrive and sail the next day so we are hoping yo get a taxi from the train station to the hotel. I would assume that is possible?

Thank you for that. We were hoping that was true of no stops. We will be staying at a hotel the day we arrive and sail the next day so we are hoping yo get a taxi from the train station to the hotel. I would assume that is possible?

There's a taxi stand outside the train station, but if there are cruise ships in port (not just for sailaways but for day trips), taxis may be scarce and very expensive. There are a couple of lodgings across the street from the cruise ship transfer lot - on the map, look for the police station and fire station (marked by the tall hose tower with "vigili del fuoco" emblazoned on its side). You can take an orange bus to the lot for only 2E (buy the tickets in the train station's snack shop) and then take a free shuttle to the ship the next morning.

There's a taxi stand outside the train station, but if there are cruise ships in port (not just for sailaways but for day trips), taxis may be scarce and very expensive. There are a couple of lodgings across the street from the cruise ship transfer lot - on the map, look for the police station and fire station (marked by the tall hose tower with "vigili del fuoco" emblazoned on its side). You can take an orange bus to the lot for only 2E (buy the tickets in the train station's snack shop) and then take a free shuttle to the ship the next morning.

Thank you once again for all your very helpful information. I am going to try and locate our hotel on a map and see how far it is from the train station. I know we are a 5 min walk to a cruise ship shuttle from the hotel. :)