Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

So I will not try to bore you with a lot of the last two sea days, but hot some highlights before wrapping up. Two sea days at the end of a cruise is a wonderful way to relax, enjoy and take in as much as the Horizon had to offer. During the first day we had a shared cocktail party for our group. They have toned down the bar service on these but it is till a good opportunity for the group to reflect back on the cruise and enjoy some quality time to do so. Here are some pics from that.

The last sea day.... we were expecting rough seas, but just the opposite occurred. The Atlantic was smooth as glass. I hate last sea days....so I won't spend a bunch of time on it here. Two things. In the afternoon, we went down to the Plat/Diamond return guest party. For those who do not know about these , it is 45 minutes to enjoy some time with the senior staff, have a cocktail or two and some snacks and get the chance to participate in some guessing games.

Low and behold one of our grand daughters won the guess the candy jar with a guess of 260 (there were 262). Here is a couple of pics with her and the other award winners posing with the captain and staff.

2ef2ihi.jpg

15mldtk.jpg

Cruise sunsets.... I love them. We usually have late dining but had taken early to eat with our grand kids. That seriously cut into my opportunity to get some sunset pics and had to settle for the these on the last night. Not bad.....

This was also the 2nd cruise elegant night. We tried for a 2nd time to gather grand kids sailing with us for another pic, this time on the atrium stairway. Here was the best of the bunch...

10mvvo0.jpg

What an amazing bunch! But that cutie in the middle-she must be spunky!

On the subject of teens in the MDR, our kids enjoy eating in the MDR and specialty restaurants. For lunch sometimes we will go to the buffet after the pool because they get a kick out of it. We allow them to read books during dinner in the MDR or any sit down establishment but no electronics. I can't tell you how many people we've met from neighboring tables or conversations we've struck up with wait staff over the books our kids are reading. They seem to enjoy that experience of meeting new people as well.

Looking forward to the rest of the review!

On the subject of teens in the MDR, our kids enjoy eating in the MDR and specialty restaurants. For lunch sometimes we will go to the buffet after the pool because they get a kick out of it. We allow them to read books during dinner in the MDR or any sit down establishment but no electronics. I can't tell you how many people we've met from neighboring tables or conversations we've struck up with wait staff over the books our kids are reading. They seem to enjoy that experience of meeting new people as well.

Looking forward to the rest of the review!

When our kids were growing up (on Carnival), they always ate with us. Pretty much rue for the grand kids as well. Only the Steakhouse and one other dinner some of them did not and that was due to Camp Ocean stuff they wanted to attend. Thanks for the kind words.

Sailing into New York at the crack of dawn can be as exciting as sailing out on the beginning of a cruise adventure. Seeing the sunrise against that absolutely beautiful city backdrop is a true site to behold. Sad part is I have no pics.... Take me at my word, it was great. If someone wants to see I can drag one out from a previous cruise, but it is a wonder.

Soon enough we were docking, said goodbye to our room steward and went up to breakfast. We usually do self debarkation but this time chose regular. Carnival has changed the process for bag zone tickets. I did not go to the meeting or watch it so I cannot comment. We had enough zone 1's after checking in with the room steward so it was not a big deal.

The debarkation went ever so smoothly and before we knew it we were off the ship and waiting for our bus for the ride home.

The last sea day.... we were expecting rough seas, but just the opposite occurred. The Atlantic was smooth as glass. I hate last sea days....so I won't spend a bunch of time on it here. Two things. In the afternoon, we went down to the Plat/Diamond return guest party. For those who do not know about these , it is 45 minutes to enjoy some time with the senior staff, have a cocktail or two and some snacks and get the chance to participate in some guessing games.

Low and behold one of our grand daughters won the guess the candy jar with a guess of 260 (there were 262). Here is a couple of pics with her and the other award winners posing with the captain and staff.

2ef2ihi.jpg

15mldtk.jpg

We were sitting nearby and she did look thrilled. We did wonder, though, how her parents felt.:D

BTW, we just booked the QM2 Transatlantic for next summer.:)

We were sitting nearby and she did look thrilled. We did wonder, though, how her parents felt.:D

BTW, we just booked the QM2 Transatlantic for next summer.:)

I do remember you sitting there, they were actually OK with it, she shared with all of her cousins and friends after Camp Ocean that last night.

This picture on the stairs with all the grand children brings tear to my eyes. It is absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful family, congratulations!

Thanks, thesis another daughter and her family who could not come in the trip. The picture was right before dinner and a couple of them had a pretty short fuse. Kudos to the photographer for getting anything at all.

Final thoughts: The Horizon gets ripped here a lot. The main show lounge has some lousy site lines, especially from the upper level. The room for he comedy club is probably to small. I actually sent a couple of emails to some management friends suggesting that at least for the G rated shows for the popular comedians they move it to the big show room. They both laughed said sure, we will et right on it. They mentioned that it had been brought up before and the reason they do not do it is the comedians fear it would look empty and people would not come to it.

Dining: We sail Carnival a lot and openly discussed on this cruise that maybe there are to many choices. Options are a good thing however, and for the most part, I think their clientele appreciate having the options. More and more (and it seems more so in some home ports than others...) that people like having options. We have seen Lido busier at dinner time than in the past on ships where it was pretty much the only other option. The Steakhouse continues to be our most favorite option, It is a really good meal and dining experience for a good price. The others fall somewhere back in the pack. I sometimes worry that the MDR dining is in jeopardy. Wr really enjoy it, and hope that is not so. The fact that YTD is assigned to the multi level dining room in the aft of the ship says something about its popularity (although there are assigned diners in that room. Guy's burger bar is the best burger at sea, and Blue Iguana's is a fan fav as well.

Entertainment: Carnival's is different than most of it's main competitors, of that there is no denial. The entertainment spread around the ship is good and varied. The main shows are different and entertaining. The shows on the Horizon are not lacking for quality and there are live musicians.

Rooms: Two home runs for the Havana area rooms and the Family Harbor area. The Havana rooms are different enough and the experience is as close to being on a cruise within a cruise as you can get, If you can afford it and cherish the ability to be by a pool with far fewer people, I would def recommend it. The Family harbor rooms are nothing short of great. A lunge area just for these cabins stocked with food and snacks that kids like with games and entertainment. Seems like a common sense thing that is way past its prime, Kudos to Carnival for jumping on it.

Next up for us is med cruise on Azamara that we are leaving today for. After that a land based trip in Turks at Beaches and Club Med and then another Carnival cruise in November aboard the Breeze on a Journeys 14 day cruise. Thanks for following along....happy cruising,

Thanks for the review! What an exciting life you lead! I can't wait for my family Harbor Suite in December.

One more question... I suspect my kids are older than typical families in the family Harbor area (16, 14, 11). Will the benefit of the big room and the lounge outweigh the feeling that they are surrounded by children?

Thanks for the review! What an exciting life you lead! I can't wait for my family Harbor Suite in December.

One more question... I suspect my kids are older than typical families in the family Harbor area (16, 14, 11). Will the benefit of the big room and the lounge outweigh the feeling that they are surrounded by children?

Good question, my guess is the two older would feel out of place. Most were younger but we did not spend a lot of time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for another great review Jimbo! Enjoy your Med cruise. :cool:

Thanks Jeff! Just got to get the flight out of the way, not a bog fam of red eyes, but it is the only way to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums