Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

The second thing I noticed was one of my biggest pet peeves. People coming in late to the MDR. I do not mean a couple of minutes, but 20 to 30 minutes late consistently. I cannot think of a more rude thing to do. It affects everyone in the MDR and the service that the staff can provide. At every opportunity I get (and I do get a fair amount), I give my 2 cents to the management team. Close the darn doors at 15 minutes after the posted time. The arrogance of people.....ARRRRGGGHHHHH

Could agree with you more! Unfortunately in today's world some people took a wrong turn and they feel such a sense of entitlement because they paid for something that they can do whatever they want whenever they want......so wrong and RUDE!

Could agree with you more! Unfortunately in today's world some people took a wrong turn and they feel such a sense of entitlement because they paid for something that they can do whatever they want whenever they want......so wrong and RUDE!

I really think it is getting worse, so much so that it is affecting the server performance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The second thing I noticed was one of my biggest pet peeves. People coming in late to the MDR. I do not mean a couple of minutes, but 20 to 30 minutes late consistently. I cannot think of a more rude thing to do. It affects everyone in the MDR and the service that the staff can provide. At every opportunity I get (and I do get a fair amount), I give my 2 cents to the management team. Close the darn doors at 15 minutes after the posted time. The arrogance of people.....ARRRRGGGHHHHH
I've noticed an increase in this with the advent of YTD and wonder whether some of these folks wanted YTD but got shut out and decided to make their own YTD. I remember on a 2009 cruise on Carnival Miracle on formal night two very nicely dressed couples showed up a half hour late and were asked by the maitre'd to enjoy dinner at the Lido buffet.

I've noticed an increase in this with the advent of YTD and wonder whether some of these folks wanted YTD but got shut out and decided to make their own YTD. I remember on a 2009 cruise on Carnival Miracle on formal night two very nicely dressed couples showed up a half hour late and were asked by the maitre'd to enjoy dinner at the Lido buffet.

Agree, and it should go back to the way it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are so right about the family aspect. We're going on Vista on an 8 day in a week and it will be our third family cruise in three years with just our immediate family. You don't need to go on vacation to have quality family time but it certainly does "force" you to spend time with one another and just enjoy each other's company and have conversations you wouldn't normally have in "the real world." It looks like you are blessed with a wonderful family. Enjoy this and many more times with them to come. P.S., it's a great cruise review too. Can't wait to try Carnival for the first time and have booked the Panorama (Havana Cabana suite/inside room across hall) for spring break 2020 as my daughter will be 12 by then!

The second thing I noticed was one of my biggest pet peeves. People coming in late to the MDR. I do not mean a couple of minutes, but 20 to 30 minutes late consistently. I cannot think of a more rude thing to do.[/quote]

These people are card carrying members of the Me Generation. They paid X amount for their vacation and they feel that they are entitled to bend the rules as far as possible. Besides being tardy for set dining they will stretch the rules about smoking, smuggling, attire in the MDR and letting their little angels run amok. This is pervasive across multiple lines, not only on Carnival.

You are so right about the family aspect. We're going on Vista on an 8 day in a week and it will be our third family cruise in three years with just our immediate family. You don't need to go on vacation to have quality family time but it certainly does "force" you to spend time with one another and just enjoy each other's company and have conversations you wouldn't normally have in "the real world." It looks like you are blessed with a wonderful family. Enjoy this and many more times with them to come. P.S., it's a great cruise review too. Can't wait to try Carnival for the first time and have booked the Panorama (Havana Cabana suite/inside room across hall) for spring break 2020 as my daughter will be 12 by then!

Thanks for the kind words. Echo the comments on family, my advice to you is enjoy every minute, they pass very quickly. I do not think you will be disappointed with the Havana room.

The second thing I noticed was one of my biggest pet peeves. People coming in late to the MDR. I do not mean a couple of minutes, but 20 to 30 minutes late consistently. I cannot think of a more rude thing to do.[/quote]

These people are card carrying members of the Me Generation. They paid X amount for their vacation and they feel that they are entitled to bend the rules as far as possible. Besides being tardy for set dining they will stretch the rules about smoking, smuggling, attire in the MDR and letting their little angels run amok. This is pervasive across multiple lines, not only on Carnival.

You are correct. Most of the time, looking the other way, or just addressing it is fine. In all of our cruises, only twice did I have to really address something with the Carnival team. I have actually seen a mother defend her 15 year old son first throwing up on an excursion bus in Mexico coming back from a beach excursion. Her reason stated was “it is part of growing up” and when he did it again into the main pool later on the ship made him chug his fathers beer.

The MDR thing is actually significantly more pervasive, when they strolled in 35 minutes late (early seating btw) it not only affected their servers but all the people that those servers had. I actually have brought it up several times and you are correct it is getting worse. I hope it gets bad enough that they have to address it, or abandon regular MDR (I hope not). Our server on this cruise had a table that consistently came in at least 20 minutes late. It affected the teams service to us which he apologized for to us several times. Sorry for the long winded reply.

So we got to watch the pull into the pier at Amber Cove the next morning. It is fairly tight and I could def imagine if it were really windy the potential to miss this port (not sure if it has already happened or even will, just my thoughts). We had reserved a pool side cabana (actually two) for our group. The pier there is fairly long but they had those bike carts that would transport for a fee. The port area is bigger and more spread out than I would have thought for one designed from the bottom up. Once off the pier, the shopping the way out of the Carnival area is to the left and the large free form pool, all the cabanas, the zip lines, and the water sports are to the right.

A couple of thoughts about Amber Cove..... first is that we were pleasantly surprised overall with the port. The layout is nice, and there is plenty to do around the area without leaving (I will not get into whether staying on property is the way to enjoy a port). The cabanas were nice, they came around frequent enough for bar and food service, included were zip line tickets. The zip line is fun (it runs from the mountain side down over and past the pools. There is a flaw with these, once your get the equipment yo can continue going as much as you want. There is a separate line to wait for equipment. There were greedy souls who went for hours without turning in the equipment so no one new could go. They need to fix this. The second thing was the water slides were not open yet. I understand they are now open. Next up...an evening of fine dining at the Steakhouse....

The shopping at Amber Cove looks similar to Mahogany Bay.

Great looking pool! We missed Amber Cove port on our Vista sailing due to high winds, great finally getting to see it!

It was done by the same developer, but you are correct. As a side note, we were flying somewhere and got into a conversation with the guy across the aisle and talking about travel and low and behold, he was the developer for Carnival for these sites. It was an enlightening conversation to say the least.

A couple of thoughts about Amber Cove..... first is that we were pleasantly surprised overall with the port. The layout is nice, and there is plenty to do around the area without leaving (I will not get into whether staying on property is the way to enjoy a port). The cabanas were nice, they came around frequent enough for bar and food service, included were zip line tickets. The zip line is fun (it runs from the mountain side down over and past the pools. There is a flaw with these, once your get the equipment yo can continue going as much as you want. There is a separate line to wait for equipment. There were greedy souls who went for hours without turning in the equipment so no one new could go. They need to fix this. The second thing was the water slides were not open yet. I understand they are now open. Next up...an evening of fine dining at the Steakhouse....

We sail next week and also have a poolside cabana reserved in Amber Cove. It looks really nice.

We sail next week and also have a poolside cabana reserved in Amber Cove. It looks really nice.

It was nice, you will need to check in at a hut to the right of the pool and they will walk you over.

Thank you for the Amber Cove pictures. We will be there Christmas week. I was really glad to see the pricelist, so I could see my options there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Your welcome, I took that pic for future cruisers, hope it helps.