Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

Sea days, Some hate, some like em, I love em. Of course there are ports that I love, especially new ones (this cruise had one, Amber Cove was a first for us). When the every day world sucks you in (my old life, not so much anymore) these days were special to us. To be able to relax, enjoy the Havana area, sneak back at times for food an return. We wanted to make the absolute most of the Havana experience, and we did,

We got to know to know the bar people (Israel and Casandra) in the area really well (and I do mean really well). We were out there from the crack of dawn till dinner and sometimes at night. Because these days were more or less mirror images, I am talking about them in one place here and with pics.

We got to friends with our neighbors. It was amazing how easy that was. Morning and evenings, at the pool, at the Alchemy bar all over, much more so than other people near our rooms on other ships.

Next up first formal night and the ship singing the Star Spangled Banner (A first for us....)

One of my biggest gripes about Carnival is that they seem to have the fewest international passengers yet don’t do as many patriotic themed activities or entertainment as the other lines. Despite what the media is telling us, there’s been so much patriotism lately and I’m glad CCL is jumping on the bandwagon.

I will hop on my soapbox (but for only a second), I was mentioning to one of my grand kids something about the Freedom tower. They asked me why it was called that and I then explained about the Word Trade Center and the cowards that attached our wonderful country. A family near us was obviously not happy with what I was saying and said "17 years, let it go" I told him what I thought about his comments as he hustled his family away. Did not see him the rest of the cruise.

We haven't forgotten either. And we have told our kids what happened because they are no longer teaching it in our public schools. Haven't shown our 8 year old the videos yet, but our older children have seen them. I used to teach at a local university and was shocked the first time I encountered students who were not aware of the Holocaust. More common than you would believe. Yes, college students in the USA. History is important.

One of my biggest gripes about Carnival is that they seem to have the fewest international passengers yet don’t do as many patriotic themed activities or entertainment as the other lines. Despite what the media is telling us, there’s been so much patriotism lately and I’m glad CCL is jumping on the bandwagon.

I will speak more of it later. But I was very surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We haven't forgotten either. And we have told our kids what happened because they are no longer teaching it in our public schools. Haven't shown our 8 year old the videos yet, but our older children have seen them. I used to teach at a local university and was shocked the first time I encountered students who were not aware of the Holocaust. More common than you would believe. Yes, college students in the USA. History is important.

My wide said she has rarely seen me get this agitated so quickly....

Absolutely ADORABLE youngin family members! Bundles of energy for sure and so much fun to be around I am sure.

Susan

Love traveling with them, wish the last family could have gone as well. Next time and thanks.

Following along, thinking of cruising on the Horizon in March. We've previously only sailed on the Breeze. My family wants to go back on her, but I'm trying to change their minds!

I believe you would be happy on the Horizon.

Thanks for doing this review! We sail Horizon in March!!

Question if you dont mind: Can you access your Havana Cabana from the lanai? Can it be locked/entered with your ss card?

On the Vista the answer is yes, on the Horizon the answer is no

Sent from my iPad using Forums