Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

Welcome back Jimbo..

Looking forward to reading your review and seeing the pictures. Noting differences between the Vista and the Horizon, especially in the Havana area will be especially helpful.

I realize you sailed out of NYC, so boarding there is different from Miami, but still interesting information.

Best,

Welcome back Jimbo..

Looking forward to reading your review and seeing the pictures. Noting differences between the Vista and the Horizon, especially in the Havana area will be especially helpful.

I realize you sailed out of NYC, so boarding there is different from Miami, but still interesting information.

Best,

Thanks for the welcome, I will be discussing some of the differences between the two ships. If I forget as we make this journey, please bring it up! I will be downloading pics this morning (from 2 cameras and my phone). I always have intentions of taking pics of everything and then disappointing when I review them. If not enough, I will just have to go back and do it again.

As time between booking the group space and the cruise itself lessened, we noticed two distinct cabin groupings. The first is what we were part of, the Havana cabin area, and the second was family harbor, we also had some regular ole balconies as well.

We had six of the Havana Cabana rooms on the port side (there was another large group who had the rest (on our side). We also had 2 family harbor suites and anther 3 cabins in the family harbor area and a few balconies. Much more to come on both of these specialty areas.

As we booked when they opened up space (almost everyone in our group booked early saver) there was a couple of price decreases along the way for most of these cabins (except ours, as there are only two Havana suites on each side,and they all were booked) that ended up getting about $500 OBC for price decreases. With getting off on a tangent, I really think Early Saver has been to everyones benefit (Carnival and the cruiser) and has gone a ways to stabilize cabin pricing.

We picked this date to cruise based on what we thought was sound logic, the 4th would be a "free" vacation day for some of the group. We had sailed over the 4th a couple of times, the latest being our last cruise last year on the Pride and thought it would work well, and it did....sort of.

Early springtime, we met with some extended family (and their friends) to answer their questions and see if they wanted to join us. They did, but as time went on some conflicts came up on some of them not being able to take time off during that week (so much or my great idea) and in the end, they fractured off and are doing the 7/23 sailing (we are not sailing again, although not a bad idea), so our 34 cabin group became two groups.

We have our first carnival cruise booked on the Horizon in the Havana for next year. Your information and videos have been so very helpful. When we where looking at NCL Haven your video of noise to quiet made it clear we should do it. I know the Havana is far from the Haven but I look forward to hearing your honest and clear opinions on your cruise.

Thank You for all the time work and attention you put into these.

We have our first carnival cruise booked on the Horizon in the Havana for next year. Your information and videos have been so very helpful. When we where looking at NCL Haven your video of noise to quiet made it clear we should do it. I know the Havana is far from the Haven but I look forward to hearing your honest and clear opinions on your cruise.

Thank You for all the time work and attention you put into these.

I have nothing bad to say about the Haven...other than the price. Glad I could help in selecting a Havana room, I do not think you will be disappointed. I will much more to say on the Havana area as we go along. Reviews are a labor of love, I love doing them as it helps keep the memories fresh and front and center.

We have five grown children and LOVE it when they (and their families) cruise with us. All but one was cruising with us on this cruise. One of our youngest (we had twins to end our brood) had a baby, our youngest (I have nicknames for all of our grandkids,, some easy, some harder, he was easy as he was the last...hence his is caboose), who was one and they were not ready to join in :(.

This contingent was staying in Family Harbor balconies and Family Harbor suites, while having seen and toured these rooms on both the Vista and Horizon earlier, this was the first time we had people staying them. This is a flat out home run by Carnival. Located on floor two, the balconies and suites are on the same floor as cove balconies (close to the action - waves and sea) and the amenities in the Family Harbor Lounge was outstanding, both food and games. The access to this area is controlled by sign an sail (tied to people staying in the Family Harbor cabins). They had nothing but raves about the rooms and the lounge.

Absolutely agree, that's why we looked at other options and decided to give Carnival and Horizon a try. I looked at MSC Yacht club but your review and others made it clear that wasn't a good fit for us.

Following.

We’re sailing on the Horizon on July 31. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for following along. I think you will enjoy your cruise on the Horizon. I hope to download all the pics today, and get to the actual cruise later today as well.

We're on the 8/28 out of NYC too! Thanks for reviewing Jimbo!

Thanks for following along, doing the review is a labor of love. It helps keep the memories front and center.

Looking forward to your review. We are on the 10/28 sailing out of Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope to get it in full gear tomorrow, been a little crazy, good stuff to follow.

I'm looking forward to this as I always enjoy your reviews. I'm sailing Horizon in October after 4 years away from Carnival! :D

Heather

4 years is a long time, do not think you will be disappointed in what Horizon offers, thanks for the kind words.