Gone with the Wind, War & Peace, What Time is the Midnight Buffet??

Danno

I got it, I got it, I got it...I read it :D !!!

What a great evening...got home after a tough day at work and found an eagerly awaited parcel in the mailbox. COULD IT BE??? I couldn't even open it, lest I be disappointed...so after a nice dinner, a glass of good red wine (Jackson Triggs Meritage 2001)...I retired to the library (the one with plumbing :o ) to absorb this classic. The 110 odd pages flew by and my evening was complete...not as good as a cruise, but on a cold night in Northern Ontario, it was close!!

All silliness aside...Chesterh's book "What time is the Midnight Buffet" took me back in time to our past cruises and even re-introduced us to some old friends...like Mike, my favorite wine steward (I can't spell solmon....??).

For those of us who have cruised X this book is an wallow in deja-vu...for new cruisers this book should help keep expectations as an attainable level while driving home the point that with a good attitude, and the ability to adjust to unexpected events and changes...cruising is a vacation second to few. We bought a second copy to give to our travel companions on our Feb cruise...I'm sure it'll help make their first cruise, a better cruise.

Hopefully they are sold in the gift shops on X ships...there are so few travel books that don't seem to be bought and paid for by the industry, this was a nice change.

(Oh...and before it comes up...I am not an agent (shill :eek: ) of chester, just a fan...I bought and paid for both copies directly from the author himself...he even signed them!!)

For anyone who enjoys this board, this book is a great fit...it goes way beyond the glossy X brochure and puts into words what many experienced cruisers already know to be true...good and bad.

The book can be ordered from Amazon.com too. Danno, I see you wrote a review. There have been 4 reviews so far and all of them got 5 stars.:D

Way to go Chester!

Garry

I tried Amazon and they said 4-6 weeks :( ...I went to chester's web sight because we wanted to give it to Dale and Dave (our newbies in tow) a while before we left...and ordered from chester...had it in less than 4 working days, price was the same...the review on Amazon, I did after re-reading the thread here...I thought chester might enjoy the plug...after all he's CrCr family...after reading the hard copy, my thoughts are the same.

I also like books signed by the author...I think it's a nice touch for any book.

.....and wasn't backordered then. I agree, it's an excellent read. DH and I are taking our first pleasure cruise in a Sky Suite this fall, so the book was particularly interesting to me.

Not sure why Amazon ran out.....maybe all the good reviews and buzz here have spiked sales! Good for Chester! His website has lots more stuff that's not in the book, and is worth looking at too.

I ordered Chesters book last week on Amazon. I got it on Wednesday and read it last night.

It's a quick easy read that makes me want to retire right now so I can cruise more often.

Chester, I see the same twinkle in my wifes eye when I tux up.

I'm going to get a few copies for my friends and relatives who just can't quite get themselves to take a cruise.

I ordered Chesters book last week on Amazon. I got it on Wednesday and read it last night.

Maybe the 4-6 weeks was because we're in Canada...I don't see why, the dog sleds come this way weekly ;) .

I purchased two copies just prior to our recent cruise. Like you, we were taking along two for whom this would be their first cruise and thought they would enjoy a preview of sorts with a good dose of ChesterH humor. It didn't hurt that the book was written from the Galaxy, since that was our ship out of Galveston.

As to seeing these sold on Celebrity ships -- it's hard to imagine, but it's certainly a grand idea. There's no doubt in my mind that both Celebrity and "Chester" would benefit handsomely from the partnership.

Perhaps they should send one copy to every CC member...it would be nice to get something in the mail that wasn't an advertisement disguised as a magazine...that arrived so late it wasn't worthwhile as either...at least the book made me laugh!!

I ordered from Amazon on Jan 4th, it shipped Jan 6th. I have no idea when it will get to me since I went with the free super saver shipping. I hope it gets here before the cruise, Amazon says Jan 30 - Feb 1st.

OUCH! Next time I might just pay for it hehehehhee

...at least the book made me laugh!!

In all honesty the CC magazine also makes me laugh :D ...especially the "if you booked early and paid in full...here's a coupon you can't use". That one makes me giggle...maybe that's why I hate coupon "come ons".

Chester also has coupons in his book that give you 50% all future bookings for cruises in 2004 ;) .

In all honesty the CC magazine also makes me laugh :D ...especially the "if you booked early and paid in full...here's a coupon you can't use". That one makes me giggle...maybe that's why I hate coupon "come ons".

Chester also has coupons in his book that give you 50% all future bookings for cruises in 2004 ;) .

*jumps in her time machine and goes back to 2004* :D

The book is available in paperback and an electronic download version on Amazon.com. It is in stock on the USA site as of 3:28PM and will ship today. Here are the links:

Paperback Version $12.95US

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595364276/ref=ord_1cl_log_ydet/103-0009452-8422236?n=283155

Online Download Version $6.00US

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B95W4E/qid=1136579421/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-0009452-8422236?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I got my books (2) from Amazon yesterday (I ordered it Sunday and it came in just 4 days using the free shipping). Of course I had to read it as soon as I got it and loved it. We're going on our first Celebrity cruise (Zenith) in Feb (have sailed RCCL and Carnival) so this was a nice introduction to Celebrity. Now I have to decide who should get the other copy :)

Danno, just ordered two copies myself- guess what mom's getting in her stocking next year!:D

Thanks for the link, and maybe you SHOULD get a commission. I'm sure you'd apply it to buying fellow CrCr's drinks when you meet them!

A pat to Jib.

Andrew

Andrew

Commission :eek: ?? GEEZ!! Don't start any rumours!!

(Ot...Jib has been on antibiotics for 5 weeks and seems fine now. He came off them this week, so we're watching him close.)

Woof to Hubble :D

Hi Dan !

Boy, do I agree with you on that. One thing Celebrity needs to do regarding the Coupons.... is they should be less difficult in accepting them.

A couple of years ago, Celebrity was very accomodating. They took just about any coupon at any time, even though the same language was on the coupons back then. Today, if you dont meet every criteria to the letter, they get rejected.

I truly wish Celebrity would come up with a new Coupon and/or Discount plan that would benefit ALL Captains Club Members, and not a small percentage of those who can use the Coupon, simply by being at the right place at the right time.

Picture this...8 MBAs around a table....

"I've got an idea. Lets send out coupons that are virtually unredeemable and see how many loyal customers we can lose"

"Good idea...you keep thinking like that and you may own this cruise line someday" !!

Archived