Icy Strait Point VS Juneau- opinions

bsblindab

I've been to both. I can't be unbiased because Juneau holds a special place in my heart. There's something about Juneau that calls me back again and again. I found ISP okay, but the last time we docked there we walked into Hoonah. ISP is nicely done, but it is (imho) a purpose-built place to entertain tourists, and it feels like that.

edited to add: If you haven't been to ISP, and have been to Juneau, there may be more value to you to visit a new port, than repeat Juneau.

It would depends on what interests you. Juneau has a lot more options including flights over glaciers (some with landing on the glacier for a walk or dogsled), museums, developed town with shops & restaurants, tram up Mt Roberts with the option to hike at the top, shuttle to Mendenhall (visitor's center, hikes), whale watch, kayak, if time in Juneau is long enough or your ship visits Juneau and Tracy Arm on the same day, boat trip to Tracy Arm.

On the other hand, Icy Strait Point provides the opportunity to see a real Alaska small town, Hoonah, to get a feel for life in Alaska. There is whale watching, a zip line, bear searches, cannery museum, nature trail near the dock, possibly a native dance performance. Some shops and restaurants, but not very much choice there.

The best small boat whale watching I've ever had has been in ISP/Hoonah. I really like ISP. No same-old same-old jewelry and t-shirts shop like the rest of the stops.

You got that right on both counts! Best whale watching in Alaska in seven AK cruises and multiple ports.

There are a couple small stores in the old cannery operated by local artists. The Halibut fish sandwich at the little restaurant is the best we have had anywhere in Alaska, especially with a real cold Alaskan Amber brew!

We enjoyed both ports. We had a great whale watching experience with Glacier Wind in ISP and am amazing excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord with Adventure Bound from Juneau. Juneau offers more options, but ISP / Hoonah is unique and a more traditional Alaska town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums