Anthem of the Seas with Manual Wheelchair

DH and I are booked on Anthem to Bermuda departing September 1st 2018. One month ago DH had a bad ladder fall at work, and is now recovering with a broken wrist and a broken knee. He is progressing rapidly, and we have not decided whether to cancel the cruise. We have insurance, so we'll get our money back if we can't go.

Our cabin won't accommodate a scooter, so DH would be in a manual wheelchair for moving longer distances around the ship. (In the cabin he will be able to move around with a walker, like he does at home). At home on hard surfaces he is quite nimble in the chair, moving around with one foot and the opposite arm for propulsion. I am concerned about dealing with carpeting (is it hard and easy to roll on, or soft and the chair will bog down), high transition strips at doorways, and convoluted routes necessitated by crowds and/or obstacles like decorative steps to get into a particular area. Research so far appears to show that the Royal Esplanade is to be avoided at all costs :-). We'll bring the chair with us, so boarding should be easy enough.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences with a manual chair on this ship. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I would contact the special needs department and order a shower stool so he will be safe in the shower. If he is still icing anything, I would ask your cabin steward for a large bucket of ice each day. We cruised 6 weeks after my DH had surgery for a ruptured quad and was in a full leg brace. Bringing an old fashion, screw top ice bag was a lifesaver since they don't sweat. We spent a lot of time with him icing his leg, out of the balcony and just chilled. Getting around was tough at times since stairs were not an option, but we made it work. We did not have a wheelchair, so can't help there.

i can offer this one piece of advice:

If possible, get a cabin near the FORWARD elevators. They carry less traffic in general.

You will have to go the length of the ship to the Windjammer or dining rooms, but not to the pool deck, Solarium or Solarium bistro.

Royal Esplanade is fine during “off hours” when there is no Giant.LifeAltering.SALE. 😉

Royal Esplanade is fine during “off hours” when there is no Giant.LifeAltering.SALE. 😉

I agree with the above comment.

My DS is confined to a manual wheelchair and we have not had problems with carpets on any of the ships. On embarkations day get one of the wheelchair helper to push your DH on to the ship, it will make life easier for you. During muster drill we are always told that if we help getting to the lifeboats let the CS deck know and they will make a note on their system.

Our cabin won't accommodate a scooter' date=' [/quote']

What makes you say this? If it is because of the width of the cabin door, I believe you can rent scooters that can fit through standard cabin door.

I agree with the above comment.

My DS is confined to a manual wheelchair and we have not had problems with carpets on any of the ships. On embarkations day get one of the wheelchair helper to push your DH on to the ship, it will make life easier for you. During muster drill we are always told that if we help getting to the lifeboats let the CS deck know and they will make a note on their system.

What makes you say this? If it is because of the width of the cabin door, I believe you can rent scooters that can fit through standard cabin door.

Thank you for your input on the carpet - that's great to hear. For the scooter, we are in a D6 Cabin on Deck 9 (near the forward elevators!), and the bed is near the door. I called our Travel Agent, and switching to a cabin with the bed by the balcony will cost another $1000 at this point. It looks like with the bed by the door, the space available to come into the cabin and get around the bed will just be too small for a scooter. The only accessible cabins available are insides, and I want to keep a balcony so he can chill out there.

It looks like with the bed by the door' date=' the space available to come into the cabin and get around the bed will just be too small for a scooter. The only accessible cabins available are insides, and I want to keep a balcony so he can chill out there.[/quote']

Have you thought of posting your thread on https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=190. As the scooter user that read the Disabled Cruise Travel board will have a better idea if you can get a scooter into your cabin.

My wife is a stroke survivor and we never had problems getting her around. Like others have said, stay away from deck 5 during the Bush times. Some words of advice.... Call RCCL and ask to be seated at the entrance to the dining rooms, it is very difficult to get to the rear areas in a wheelchair. In the Windjammer, look for the handicapped tables. If none are available, ask the manager to find one for you. For the shows, there are handicapped reserved for those in wheelchairs. Most staff to out of their way to help.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife is a stroke survivor and we never had problems getting her around. Like others have said, stay away from deck 5 during the Bush times. Some words of advice.... Call RCCL and ask to be seated at the entrance to the dining rooms, it is very difficult to get to the rear areas in a wheelchair. In the Windjammer, look for the handicapped tables. If none are available, ask the manager to find one for you. For the shows, there are handicapped reserved for those in wheelchairs. Most staff to out of their way to help.

This is VERY good advice -- DD is in a wheelchair for distances (Cerebral Palsy, can walk but slowly, & not safe in crowds) & I was using a cane this past May (severe knee pain, very slow walking). DH went to dining room to see our table, but did NOT tell me it was ALL THE WAY in the rear of the dining room, which made it 1) difficult to push the chair through all the tables, & 2) a longer, UNNECESSARY walk for me :(

DH and I are booked on Anthem to Bermuda departing September 1st 2018. One month ago DH had a bad ladder fall at work' date=' and is now recovering with a broken wrist and a broken knee. He is progressing rapidly, and we have not decided whether to cancel the cruise. We have insurance, so we'll get our money back if we can't go.

Our cabin won't accommodate a scooter, so DH would be in a manual wheelchair for moving longer distances around the ship. (In the cabin he will be able to move around with a walker, like he does at home). At home on hard surfaces he is quite nimble in the chair, moving around with one foot and the opposite arm for propulsion. I am concerned about dealing with carpeting (is it hard and easy to roll on, or soft and the chair will bog down), high transition strips at doorways, and convoluted routes necessitated by crowds and/or obstacles like decorative steps to get into a particular area. Research so far appears to show that the Royal Esplanade is to be avoided at all costs :-). We'll bring the chair with us, so boarding should be easy enough.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences with a manual chair on this ship. Thanks for any insight you can give me.[/quote']

I can answer your question about carpet as my son is disabled and in a manual wheelchair. If the carpet has a tight pile with little underlay it’s a little harder to wheel than a hard floor but if it’s got a thick quality underlay it’s much harder going especially one arm isn’t fully functioning.

This is VERY good advice -- DD is in a wheelchair for distances (Cerebral Palsy, can walk but slowly, & not safe in crowds) & I was using a cane this past May (severe knee pain, very slow walking). DH went to dining room to see our table, but did NOT tell me it was ALL THE WAY in the rear of the dining room, which made it 1) difficult to push the chair through all the tables, & 2) a longer, UNNECESSARY walk for me :(

Hope you refused to use the assigned table? We do, my DS is confined to a wheelchair, and we refuse any table that is not suitable for us. This normally means we sit near the entrance of the dining room.

Hope you refused to use the assigned table? We do, my DS is confined to a wheelchair, and we refuse any table that is not suitable for us. This normally means we sit near the entrance of the dining room.
Unfortunately,as DH has no trouble walking, or pushing the wheelchair, it didn't occur to him that it was a problem, or think it was that far, and I didn't realize it till we were there for dinner. Will definitely be making the request on our next cruise!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately,as DH has no trouble walking, or pushing the wheelchair, it didn't occur to him that it was a problem, or think it was that far, and I didn't realize it till we were there for dinner. Will definitely be making the request on our next cruise!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Glad to hear. :)