Fan For Cabin?

I always bring a small 5 inch desk fan...must have air flow with hot flashes! Otherwise, I wouldn't need a fan...the cabins get cool enough. Hot flashes happen whether it's 30 degrees or 100! Air blowing on your is the only cure!

On the modern ships we have never taken a fan or found a need for one.

I'm sailing on the Island Princess which was built in 2003. It just had a little refurbishment done but that probably wouldn't affect the cabins which weren't just added. Would you consider this ship modern or one of the older models?

I always bring a small 5 inch desk fan...must have air flow with hot flashes! Otherwise, I wouldn't need a fan...the cabins get cool enough. Hot flashes happen whether it's 30 degrees or 100! Air blowing on your is the only cure!

I'm hot natured so a fan might be good for me since I feel like I'm having a constant hot flash:D

I totally understand what you are talking about.

It depends on the cruise line. I've found the air-con too warm, even when on the coldest setting, on some Princess ships - Golden, Diamond and Royal. Never had a problem on the older Sun class ships. I always ask to it to be fixed but it seems to make no difference. I think part of the problem is the location and style of the vents. On our last cruise, on Diamond, I ended up buying a fan at our first port stop.

Edit - Island was built after Golden so may have similar problems.

My last cruise was at the beginning of me hot flashing, and I swore I would bring a fan with me next cruise, glad to see I'm not the only one with this idea! Is yours battery operated or plug in? I can't decide which one I want.

I'm sailing on the Island Princess which was built in 2003. It just had a little refurbishment done but that probably wouldn't affect the cabins which weren't just added. Would you consider this ship modern or one of the older models?

Before answering, I should provide some background info.

We used Princess for almost 40 years, until 2015, with Island and Coral being our 2 favourite ships (about 60 days on IP/CP). The pax/space ratio on those ships was way better than the other ships. I believe the additional cabins were added in 2015, at her scheduled drydocking. While we haven't sailed on them since adding the extra cabins, unfortunately, in our opinion, the extra cabins eliminated the benefit of these 2 ships.

Her next scheduled drydocking should have been 2020, so any recent refurbishment would have been minor and would probably not affect the A/C.

The Island & Coral were built in France, with the Island entering service in 2003. When I walked around, noting the quality of construction, especially the upper deck welding, I would describe it as below exemplary industry standards.

While I would normally consider a 15 year old ship, fairly modern. Based on the quality of welding and finishing I observed on these ships, I question what other issues the ship's build crew missed, so would probably consider them not old ships, but definitely in the transition between modern & older.

I suggest that you look at buying a battery operated fan as some ports they will take electrical fans. I'm always in need of a fan. My favorite cruise fan is O2Cool which comes in many sizes including a small personal fan. (they have them on Amazon)

There are some with ac adapters, too