Halibut Recommendation

Rode Warrior

Going on a cruise next summer, and plan on staying over a few days at the end of the cruise (disembarking in Seward) to do some fishing and sight seeing. What is the best port/area for halibut? I am willing to "go the extra mile" to find the best fishing. That being said, I can't go out to Dutch Harbor, which is what I would really like to do. :-)

Going on a cruise next summer, and plan on staying over a few days at the end of the cruise (disembarking in Seward) to do some fishing and sight seeing. What is the best port/area for halibut? I am willing to "go the extra mile" to find the best fishing. That being said, I can't go out to Dutch Harbor, which is what I would really like to do. :-)

While I personally haven't fished for halibut, I have heard that Ketchikan is good for halibut fishing. If your cruise stops in Ketchikan, you might want to check it out.

Have used Alaska Northern Outfitters out of Seward numerous times. Over the 20+ years of fishing in Alaska I've found halibut is getting harder to find. Just a wonderful day on the seas is worthwile.

We just returned last week from our Alaska cruise and my husband went fishing for halibut in Ketchikan. Seward and Homer were not an option for him. He was one of four on the fishing boat and they all caught halibut. My husband's was a pretty small one, which meant less shipping charges to get it home, so I was fine with that. It was very tasty fish and my husband had a blast.

We just returned 2 weeks ago and went halibut fishing in Ketchikan. It was awesome. Highly recommend Baranof fishing. It's expensive, but I caught the biggie - 24 pounds and 34 inches long. I needed help reeling it in at 230 feet down. We caught about 10 but can only keep 1 per person so 4 but threw back smaller ones. We also caught 4 cod and rockfish we could keep. Good eating for a few months. It was a blast.

Homer is really the Halibut fishing capital. You can walk up and down the Spit and look at all the weighing's on the boardwalk. They have the "real" biggies hanging from hooks and it's quite interesting.

Halibut fishing is about the most boring form of fishing ever. They do t have much fight to them, just dead weight. Sort of like hooking the barn door and dragging it up from the bottom. Of course they do taste good so there you go. But yeah, Homer is the big port and if you go down the spit, you won’t be able to spit without hitting a halibut charter operation. Seward also has some good options for halibut I hear, but I’ve never gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums