Uber surge pricing

suekay

Uber seems to be the recommended form of transport so I've installed the app and registered my credit card. I started to wonder about disembarkation as it will be during morning rush hour and I believe they operate surge pricing. Has anybody any idea of the surge pricing supplement at around 8.30am from Port Everglades to Miami Brickell, or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

You never know. I would also set up Lyft on your phone - try them if Uber has surge pricing in effect. Or wait 10+ minutes and see if it has changed. Take your time leaving the ship since you are not trying to make a flight - enjoy breakfast in the MDR and then stroll off after 9:00

If the taxis have a flat rate -- I think that would be the better way to go (I think in Miami its $28).

There is such flat rate from MIA airport to PortMiami.

OP is headed to or from neither. From Port Everglades to Brickell the meter would be a good $90. Uber or Lyft will substantially undercut that. And not keep going up if stuck in traffic.

Hard to know when there is surge pricing. Sometimes we get it when an event is going on, when it’s pouring rain, rush hour, etc.

Any reason why you need to leave Port Everglades at 8:30 to get to the Brickell area? The traffic will be terrible and can take you much longer than if you leave the port area even 1/2 hour later. IF you are getting off of a cruise ship, can’t you request to leave later off the ship?

Hard to know when there is surge pricing. Sometimes we get it when an event is going on, when it’s pouring rain, rush hour, etc.

Any reason why you need to leave Port Everglades at 8:30 to get to the Brickell area? The traffic will be terrible and can take you much longer than if you leave the port area even 1/2 hour later. IF you are getting off of a cruise ship, can’t you request to leave later off the ship?

I'd read that rush hour is 7-10am, so it wouldn't make any difference when we left. We can certainly leave the ship later than 8.30am if that helps reduce the price

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I don’t have free roaming on my phone and unless I have free WiFi, Uber is very expensive to use when in Florida.
That's why I just bought a Worldsim card. It can be used all over the world for cheap calls home and cheap data, plus you get a UK and a US number. I'll test it in Mexico in November then hopefully be able to use it to book Uber in Florida in March.

suekay.......Host CJSKIDS (Carolyn) has it right.

Unless you are in a rush, you could disembark around 9:30 AM, face less traffic and from my own experience using Uber likely get better pricing. At that hour you might have some surge pricing but there are different levels of the surge pricing and that would not be peak time.

Keith

That's why I just bought a Worldsim card. It can be used all over the world for cheap calls home and cheap data, plus you get a UK and a US number. I'll test it in Mexico in November then hopefully be able to use it to book Uber in Florida in March.

Good idea!

Surge pricing is more often seen during big events and in the evenings on Friday and Saturday nights.

I have used Uber in the morning often and have rarely been given surge pricing. Also, while rush hour is from 7-10am. It is by far the worst from 7:30-9:00am. From Port Everglades you will certainly save time getting off the ship as late as possible. At least save time not sitting in the worst of traffic.

Surge pricing is more often seen during big events and in the evenings on Friday and Saturday nights.

I have used Uber in the morning often and have rarely been given surge pricing. Also, while rush hour is from 7-10am. It is by far the worst from 7:30-9:00am. From Port Everglades you will certainly save time getting off the ship as late as possible. At least save time not sitting in the worst of traffic.

I have gotten surge pricing when we have our bouts of very heavy rain on quite a few occasions during the week as well as weekend afternoons.