Quick question regarding Driver's License (sorry if this has been answered before)

My BF and I just booked a last minute cruise to Mexico. We aren't planning on getting off the ship, but his passport is expired and he only has a REGULAR driver's license, not the real ID one. His birth certificate is nowhere to be found. Do we really need to have a REAL ID compliant DL to board the ship? We are from California.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

You need a Birth Certificate with Driver's license, or valid passport, or State Enhanced Driver's License (which I don't think California has, according to my friend Google). Not sure how long you have until your cruise, but I'd be expediting a new passport or birth certificate right now.

It does not matter if you plan to get off the ship or stay on the whole time!

You will NOT be allowed to board the ship in the first place unless you have a birth certificate + normal driver's license OR a passport.

Get one or the other as fast as you can or you are not going on that cruise!

Where was your boyfriend born? In San Bernardino County we can get BC as a walk in.

Hopefully you’re not leaving tomorrow.

Don’t think a RealID takes the place of a BC and DL. Took Hubby week to get his.

California has Read ID driver's licenses, but are only good for entry to federal buildings and domestic air travel. Enhanced ID's are not currently available in California. Enhanced ID's have a chip inside (like your passport does) and can be scanned at ports or border crossings.

Get a passport. It is the gold standard for international travel. You cannot be held up whilst they verify your driver's license or birth certificate. You will also have a much easier time recovering from being stranded in a foreign country, like if you miss the ship.

Add a Global Entry Card to your wallet and you will sail through airports, get TSA precheck, and Sentri line for US land border crossings.