Roller Bags in Venice?

gogispu

Hi All,

Am wondering if what I am hearing is true,that Venice is not allowing roller bags due to noise. I am sure there is a post here but am in slight panic mode as we are to leave in 2 weeks for cruise and now may have to rethink luggage. Thanks in advance

Anne

It was, for a short time, something more than a rumor. It was proposed by their mayor/city council but never went any further than to generate a lot of headlines. Unfortunately it now lives on with the half life of rumors and negative stuff. (I wonder why positive stuff doesn't live on when it isn't true, or am I just in a cynical mood this morning?)

I would hire a porter to transport your bags (and ensure that you don't get lost); Venice is a beautiful, wonderful and confusing city.

There are two issues with your plan. The first is that you must find a porter and they are not always around when you need them. and the 2nd issue is that porters in Venice do not work cheap. Make sure you settle on a price before you hire a porter. Oh...and the other issue is one should be sure they are getting a real Porter...and not just a luggage thief :). After all, you are in Italy!

Hank

I will add this- if you have never wheeled a roller bag across uneven cobblestone streets for a good period of time, you may want to do that first and see how your shoulders feel after. Take your bag to your local park, go off-road, and wheel that thing over the tree stumps, etc. for a good half hour, dodge the kids and dogs by the playground and try not to hit anyone with it, and judge if that's really something you want to do or if you might choose to pay someone to handle that for you.

• 5 weeks later...