tipping tour guides

Defarge

I've heard that Europe isn't as tip happy as we are in the states. So my question is, is it appropriate to tip tour guides and if so how much is customary oh heck how about tipping in general in Europe.

I have a little bit different question. I am taking a tour that is listed as "free." I certainly know that I will tip the guide at the end of the tour. In this case it is totally expected.

It is a 3 hr walking tour in Valencia. Others on my cruise have taken the tour and give it high praise. Another cruiser asked how much was given as a tip and they did not get an answer.

Can anyone tell me what they have given, heard about or seen someone else give?

Sorry to ask a Spain question on the Italy forum. :eek:

Thank in advance!!

Since this can be a contentious subject, I'd suggest you read through a recent thread (don't be put off by the title, it mostly has to do with tipping), and then come back and post any specific questions about tipping.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642825&highlight=tipping

Thank you,

Having not been to Europe before I guess my question was is it customary to tip or not. Since we are taking several excursions I wasn't sure if we should tip the guide or driver, I know we did tip on several Caribbean excursions but I wanted to make sure I didn't offend someone either way. I'm trying to be a good tourist :)

The link you posted had a great idea about asking for their business card so we could leave a review, I like that( I'm bad at remembering names so that tip will help). but as you said it is contentious with some tipping and others not.

I've heard that Europe isn't as tip happy as we are in the states. So my question is, is it appropriate to tip tour guides and if so how much is customary oh heck how about tipping in general in Europe.

We took tours in Vatican, Colosseum, Santorini and France , did not tip and did not feel like any of them expect any. Its not like Caribbean