Celebrity $ compared to Carnival and Royal

You can book Celebrity without the packages, and save money, but then you will wind up with a pretty good bill at the end of the cruise.

The cruises that I have picked from Celebrity (except for transatlantic and repo cruises) didn't give me the option of booking without the perks. I have seen a few cruises that are nearly booked up and Celebrity offers a balcony guarantee with no perks, but it happens to be the exact same price that was the rate prior to the guarantee sale.

Why is it so inexpensive and why aren't more folks jumping on board? I know that it is more upscale so it seems like a good opportunity to try it out.

Supply and demand. Also, Celebrity really as "upscale" as you might think. It is a mass market cruise line. If you want upscale, look at Oceania, Crystal, Regent etc. Go on Celebrity thinking it will be vastly different than Royal or Carnival and you are bound to be disappointed. Sure, maybe fewer kids, since there are no waterslides, rock walls etc. but there is still nightlife, there are still chair hogs, there are still complaints about food and everything else folks like/dislike about mass market lines.

So maybe Celebrity have too many ships in the Caribbean that time of year?

Or for whatever reason, other lines have higher demand at the moment.

Wow!

Why stop with tuna - when you can call me a tunahead? I don't know why folks are going after me when I don't set these prices. I have the unique situation having sailed Carnival for years to see what more folks might like to see and cross over - all you have to do is look at the prices. That's just one idea it is probably more complicated than that and more ways to compete without copying the fun ships - like others have said.

I'm going to move this topic over to a Caribbean thread where more folks hop around to different cruise lines.

Don't pay any attention to the haters. You're the Man.

I’m eyeballing some winter prices for next year and other folks have commented on this too. Maybe not the basic price but when you deduct the free perks – X is often times the cheapest with the 5 night West Caribbean. I saw a chart where some of the 7 nights do too. Most folks like balconies so I’m looking at those prices.

Celebrity Infinity Dec 16 2019

$659 with $300 spending = $509

Brilliance of the Seas Dec 14 2019

$579 with $100 spending = $529

Carnival Valor Dec 16 2019

$609 with $0 spending = $609

No Norwegian 5 nighters - the 7 day starts at $1,200! Princess is about the same - and $699 for 3 days.

Why is it so inexpensive and why aren't more folks jumping on board? I know that it is more upscale so it seems like a good opportunity to try it out. Maybe some folks want more slides and a party atmosphere but the value is why Cindy and I are trying out the X this year and maybe next.

Given those choices I also would pick Celebrity , we normally do RCCL and I like Brilliance but that does not have the cool features like ice show that larger ships have, also buffet is way better on Celebrity than the other lines.

I’m eyeballing some winter prices for next year and other folks have commented on this too. Maybe not the basic price but when you deduct the free perks – X is often times the cheapest with the 5 night West Caribbean. I saw a chart where some of the 7 nights do too. Most folks like balconies so I’m looking at those prices.

Celebrity Infinity Dec 16 2019

$659 with $300 spending = $509

Brilliance of the Seas Dec 14 2019

$579 with $100 spending = $529

Carnival Valor Dec 16 2019

$609 with $0 spending = $609

No Norwegian 5 nighters - the 7 day starts at $1,200! Princess is about the same - and $699 for 3 days.

Why is it so inexpensive and why aren't more folks jumping on board? I know that it is more upscale so it seems like a good opportunity to try it out. Maybe some folks want more slides and a party atmosphere but the value is why Cindy and I are trying out the X this year and maybe next.

OP

It is true that often X offers a better product for the same or less than say CCL. Often when adding in for specialty dining and bev package... the X cruise can be a better value (and IMHO a better ship/experience) compared to CCL

If you can secure a cabin with a bev package --all the better. I don't know if CCL ever offers their Cheers packages as a sale/incentive.

CCL does not have any perks per the stateroom you book, nor does the loyalty program offer any benefit to paying for a better stateroom/suite. All the same points whether you book an interior or a "suite"

Haven't sailed rccl (we aren't mega ship folks) so can't compare.

As X changes--we will--like you-- look at MSC/YC, NCL/Haven and RCCL (does it have ship within a ship cabins/restaurant idk)

We look for value first and often X has delivered that- pus cruise style. Time will tell if this continues.

We aren't fans of CCL

Don't pay any attention to the haters. You're the Man.

Most of the folks on here have been rocking it with Uncle Doug - especially when the thread moves along and we get into more of the details like here.

Fogfog I agree 100% (y). That is about where we're at too looking at the different cruise options and value sailing.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

Most of the folks on here have been rocking it with Uncle Doug - especially when the thread moves along and we get into more of the details like here.

Fogfog I agree 100% (y). That is about where we're at too looking at the different cruise options and value sailing.

Well, I have to admit that after the other thread with you getting called out for being the cult leader in Kansas city, there's no shortage of entertainment with you.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article46952265.html

If this is really you from the article, then why not put all your cave church members on a cruise too!

OP

It is true that often X offers a better product for the same or less than say CCL. Often when adding in for specialty dining and bev package... the X cruise can be a better value (and IMHO a better ship/experience) compared to CCL

If you can secure a cabin with a bev package --all the better. I don't know if CCL ever offers their Cheers packages as a sale/incentive.

CCL does not have any perks per the stateroom you book, nor does the loyalty program offer any benefit to paying for a better stateroom/suite. All the same points whether you book an interior or a "suite"

Haven't sailed rccl (we aren't mega ship folks) so can't compare.

As X changes--we will--like you-- look at MSC/YC, NCL/Haven and RCCL (does it have ship within a ship cabins/restaurant idk)

We look for value first and often X has delivered that- pus cruise style. Time will tell if this continues.

We aren't fans of CCL

We have done 10 Celebrity, 6 NCL and 1 Royal C.

Our last was on Royal, we were a bit surprised to find the service and food quality to be pretty much on par with Celebrity (although the buffet on Royal was not as good). The Diamond Happy Hour was even better than Celebrity Elite's.

We like longer cruises and find Royal is usually cheaper, especially since on our Royal cruise we spent nothing on booze due to the great Diamond Benefits.