What fits in HAL laundry bag

TandPfromDE

We recently returned from a cruise on the Koningsdam. Prior to departure, I had looked through Cruise Critic to try and determine if the "by the bag" laundry service offered by HAL was worthwhile. A key question was how much laundry would fit in the laundry bag. It turned out to be quite a bit. In the interests of social media, I will share my laundry list:

• 2 shirts
  • 1 pr shorts
  • 5 T-shirts
  • 3 undershirts
  • 7 pr underwear
  • 8 pr socks

There was room for about 20% more clothing in the bag. The secret to the bag's capacity is that it is made out of stout cloth, with a drawstring closure. You can stuff things into it long after it appears to be full.

HAL will launder a bag for $30 in Europe and $20 in the Caribbean. We were in the midst of an extended trip and found the service to be very worthwhile. As others are noted, the laundry is returned within 48 hours (ours was 24 hours). Everything except underwear and socks comes back with a tiny cloth number strip stuck on the waistband or hem. The strip is about 1/4" tall by 1.25" long. It can be peeled off. Anything that will fit on a clothes hanger will be brought back on a hanger, including undershirts. The two dress shirts in my load were permanent press. They came back without wrinkles, but I don't think they had been pressed. I don't know how harsh the washing conditions were - we did not take chances with delicate items.

A lot fits in the bag. We were lucky to get the free laundry in a Neptune recently and blatantly took advantage of it. We stuffed our bag with coats, both sport coats as well as a fleece. And we stuffed lots of pants. Worked for us.

I'd say a lot depends on ones size. A 6'4" person who weighs 300lbs will not get as much in as someone who is 5'2" and weighs only 110lbs :D

Thankfully HAL still use cloth bags, unlike the paper ones on other lines (I'm grumping at you Celebrity!) that rip with even the gentlest of touches :eek:

I'm actually planning on the unlimited laundry for mom and I next year to Alaska. We can pack far less and each avoid a second checked bag fee! The unlimited laundry will actually end up saving us money that we can spend elsewhere :wine-glass::cocktail::tropical-drink::beer-mug:

We recently returned from a cruise on the Koningsdam. Prior to departure, I had looked through Cruise Critic to try and determine if the "by the bag" laundry service offered by HAL was worthwhile. A key question was how much laundry would fit in the laundry bag. It turned out to be quite a bit. In the interests of social media, I will share my laundry list:

• 2 shirts
  • 1 pr shorts
  • 5 T-shirts
  • 3 undershirts
  • 7 pr underwear
  • 8 pr socks

There was room for about 20% more clothing in the bag. The secret to the bag's capacity is that it is made out of stout cloth, with a drawstring closure. You can stuff things into it long after it appears to be full.

HAL will launder a bag for $30 in Europe and $20 in the Caribbean. We were in the midst of an extended trip and found the service to be very worthwhile. As others are noted, the laundry is returned within 48 hours (ours was 24 hours). Everything except underwear and socks comes back with a tiny cloth number strip stuck on the waistband or hem. The strip is about 1/4" tall by 1.25" long. It can be peeled off. Anything that will fit on a clothes hanger will be brought back on a hanger, including undershirts. The two dress shirts in my load were permanent press. They came back without wrinkles, but I don't think they had been pressed. I don't know how harsh the washing conditions were - we did not take chances with delicate items.

Seems about right based upon our own experiences. But, and there always is a but, throw in a pair or two of men's jeans and you will loose a lot of space. Men's jeans and sweatshirts just seem to fill that bag quickly. We take less clothes, opt for the unlimited package and send off a bag a day. At the end of the cruise we had a suitcase mostly full of clean clothes. They do cut it off on the last day prior to embarkation.

You know if you have free or buy the unlimited laundry package you can request a second laundry bag from your room steward. We did since then we only had to go thru the process of counting the items and stuffing the bags every 4th. day instead of every other day on a 14 day cruise.

This is a little bit like asking, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?"

It really depends how motivated you are, and how much time you have!

My DW and I make a sport out seeing how much we can fit in the bag to save money!!! I don't know how those poor people in the laundry room get all of our stuff out of the bags because they are stuffed so tightly!!!