Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

37 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hope you like it - I am cooking just for one, and there is a bit less incentive to do a meal with lots of ingredients.  Still try to find things which taste good and are (reasonably) nourishing and healthy.  The odd glass of wine helps it all down, of course.

Lola

my wife is allergic to cheese ( the bacteria in the sour process). so I have to get my fix on a cruise🥺

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I hope you like it - I am cooking just for one, and there is a bit less incentive to do a meal with lots of ingredients.  Still try to find things which taste good and are (reasonably) nourishing and healthy.  The odd glass of wine helps it all down, of course.

Lola

Well, if you insist ...😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lola

Try a glass of Madeira with it Lola. It’s just the best with cheese. 

• Like 3

Hi all

My turn to twitter on now, hope you don’t mind Lola 😀

I lost my husband in April this year and he did ALL the cooking, so I too am having to learn a few things:

1.   How to cook.

2.   How much (or little) food you need for one - not the whole pack of pasta or meat.

3.   How to use our fancy steam oven.

4.   How to put the lid on the bottle of wine so I don’t drink the lot in one night.

I don’t post often but drop by everyday to catch up on the gossip. Thanks everyone for providing a great place to visit.

I have booked a cruise next May, so very  excited about that.  Taking my daughter on her first SS cruise for her 30th.

Take care, Karin

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, V8Babe said:

Hi all

I lost my husband in April this year and he did ALL the cooking, so I too am having to learn a few things:

1.   How to cook.

2.   How much (or little) food you need for one - not the whole pack of pasta or meat.

4.   How to put the lid on the bottle of wine so I don’t drink the lot in one night.

I don’t post often but drop by everyday to catch up on the gossip. Thanks everyone for providing a great place to visit.

I have booked a cruise next May, so very  excited about that.  Taking my daughter on her first SS cruise for her 30th.

Take care, Karin

Thanks Karin,  for your post!  Hope you feel free to post whenever the spirit moves you! 🥰

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, V8Babe said:

Hi all

1.   How to cook.

Take care, Karin

Is that a mustang convertible? I had one just like it. It was wonderful!

• Like 1

Hi Karin - I could have written almost all of that myself!  So pleased that maybe I inspired you to  post.  ('Reach out' is the current woke phrase to use, I guess - what Meghan would say).

So far I have managed to avoid the slippery slope of getting through a whole bottle of wine in the evening too - about my only bit of self-discipline when I am on my own at home, but the fairly ordinary stuff I drink seems to come to no harm being reclosed, as it mostly comes with a screwcap.  The good stuff with a cork gets opened when family or friends visit, so no need for a Coravin then - but they are good.

It is great  to get encouragement on here from the good people who cheer you up when you are down,   or  awake at 3 a.m., as I am now.

Keep posting,

Lola

• Like 5

Mr Luxury perhaps you could advise? I Would dearly love an old fashioned detached collar, side pocketed,  bibbed evening shirt. I’ve got a good supply of collars and studs but I Need a new shirt. I Always used Harvie and Hudson in the past  but they seem to have been devoured by some sort of “corporation” are any of the old tailors still there in Jermyn St . I Never feel like I’ve made the effort without  the rigmarole of a proper bow tie and collar studs.

• Like 1

Lola - Wow, I could have written your words too, thanks for the encouragement.

I leave the corked bottles for when I know someone is visiting  too.  Also understand what you’re saying about waking.  Thanks again.

Daveywavey - my husband loved T M Lewin and Harvie and Hudson.  Hope you find what you want.  Is there a special occasion coming up?

Best wishes, Karin

• Like 1

Daveywavey - I so agreed with your mention of going to London to shop.  I shop online mainly, the worst problem being sizing for a woman, as one company's 14 is another's 10. And US sizes are completely different.   Hopefully this is easier for a chap - essentially collar sizes should be pretty accurate, and I think they do different lengths of body and sleeve.  I know this from my son, who has a very long back.   (I seem to remember that you are very tall?)

I will bet Mr. L will point you in the right direction; I feel sure he is extremely elegant.😉

Lola

• Like 2

14 hours ago, V8Babe said:

Hi all

1.   How to cook.

Take care, Karin

And that is why we cruise: so we don't have to cook!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Not my main reason - but certainly one of them; not so much not cooking, but having so much choice at each meal, including different cuisines, and things I have never been able to master, like perfectly risen souffles.  There are quite a few Coolers who would make excellent chefs, if they so wished, but yours truly is certainly not one of them.

• Like 1

Hi Lola, I love goat cheese but never thought about eating it warm.......I may try it too.🙂

Hi Karin, also sending you my condolences and welcome. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Mr Luxury perhaps you could advise? I Would dearly love an old fashioned detached collar, side pocketed,  bibbed evening shirt. I’ve got a good supply of collars and studs but I Need a new shirt. I Always used Harvie and Hudson in the past  but they seem to have been devoured by some sort of “corporation” are any of the old tailors still there in Jermyn St . I Never feel like I’ve made the effort without  the rigmarole of a proper bow tie and collar studs.

Budd

3 Piccadilly arcade is the traditional evening shirt maker that I would go to for this.

They have a good website

Ede and Ravenscroft the legal outfitters could also be an option 

Edited by Mr Luxury

And now that we have introduced fashion into Cooler topics (thank you @Daveywavey70) I can tell the lovely women on the Cooler bar stools about KALIYANA.  It is a store in Ottawa with an online presence.  The designer is Canadian.  I have supported this shop for many moons.  Here is one of my outfits ( I guess I haven't yet started dressing my age 😅) .......

TRBP001_07_800x1200.jpg.c7f413a9d84215851376403b5b316139.jpg

Please note that this is NOT me modeling the outfit.  

https://kaliyana.com/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2