Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

From earlier this week, here is a little "wildlife sampling" from our back ravine yard area.   Below is a young deer at the fence "up close and personal".  Notice the eye?  The name of "Buckeye" comes from the Native American term for "Eye of the Buck".  Lots of Buckeye tree here that gave off Buckeye nuts that looked like the "Eye of the Buck" associated with the native deer.  Notice in the third picture, three deer in the lower wooded area with a daffodil in the foreground?  Also, below is a hawk up in the trees with the wide wing span.  By the way, our back fences mean nothing to these deer.  They just quickly jump over without any hesitation.  Quick and easy for them.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.jpeg.7483164487d44e7e9520e2315adf58b0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4a8654e3206b36f21b359c3ed055cd11.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f14a010a3e62e9c750a5c5032f143a2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4a0367718b3ff1e5025931695129c550.jpeg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

From WAPO regarding the rain yesterday:

2EA06E0A-1FD6-48AC-B21C-22A350B667E4.thumb.jpeg.8b6315fe8a0d5dcb3c8a1d7e2b09b7e9.jpeg

WOW!!!  88 Billion gallons is totally amazing.  Are things in that area now getting back to somewhat normal?  Airport re-opened and operating near 100% by this afternoon?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

31 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Do you have cherry blossoms there as well?

Not like what they have in DC - that was a gift from the people of Japan if I have my history right.  But folks do plant cherry trees as has our Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond - they are also in glorious bloom this year.  Maybe a portent of better times to come 😇?

Edited by QueSeraSera
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Not like what they have in DC - that was a gift from the people of Japan if I have my history right.  But folks do plant cherry trees as has our Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond - they are also in glorious bloom this year.  Maybe a portent of better times to come 😇?

I miss the cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin in DC

• Like 2

And its the season for black racers. However this one was trapped in our pool enclosure.

The male cardinal apparently found it intriguing. Or thought it a large worm.  I tried to help the snake out, they are protected here and not venomous.  They eat pests too.  But, they will bite if cornered and I didn’t want it in the pool. Eventually it found the way out  under the door. I have now placed a snake barrier there.

859789AB-B0F1-44E7-B57C-F65AF8D0DA5A.thumb.jpeg.5d3cb02d79c99364f76b1806c982b328.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Preparing my next cruise. Any recomendation for the ports of call: Trieste, Zadar, HVAR, Dubrovnik, Split, Opatija?

Any recomendation is wellcomed.

Just have to wait. In May we are doing all of those except Opatija but also Sarande, Bari, Kotor, Ravenna and Piran. All on the Moon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

Just have to wait. In May we are doing all of those except Opatija but also Sarande, Bari, Kotor, Ravenna and Piran. All on the Moon.

I am on the Spirit. Waiting for your comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lirio said:

Preparing my next cruise. Any recomendation for the ports of call: Trieste, Zadar, HVAR, Dubrovnik, Split, Opatija?

Any recomendation is welcomed.

• Opatjia was one of my favorite ports. I took the Tastes and Scents of Istria tour and also spent time walking around in a park near the Kvarner Bay hotel.  
  • In Trieste, I took the Castles, Gardens and Wine tour, then wandered around the lovely town. Some friends took the Borgo Grotta tour. Their photos were breathtaking, but even though this couple was in their 40s and very fit, they would not do it again. There were numerous slippery stairs unto the grotto (almost 500 step).  On your way out of Trieste, if it is still there, you will see Sailing Yacht A, which is the largest sailing yacht in the world and valued at 600 million Euros. It was seized from Russian oligarch Andrey Melnichenko as part of the sanctions against the war against Ukraine and was moored off the coast of Trieste. The hull is unpainted steel and it looks like something out of a James Bond movie.
  • Dubrovnik - I have been there before, so this time I took the excursion to Cavtat, which is a charming town. On my last trip there, we did our own thing walking around town and going up to the fort. I'm sure others can chime in here regarding their favorite tours in Dubrovnik. 
  • Either in Split or Zadar, highly recommend the tour to KRKA waterfalls. That tour is available from both ports, so you can choose based on your other activities.

• Hope this helps.  And be sure to try some Croatian wine!
Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 4

Well I can't really believe it but I've accidentally gone and booked myself on a cruise for Jan 24, on Celebrity Edge! Fortunately there are 2 dear friends on the same cruise but I've never been on such a big ship (2900) but she does look a beauty. Usually I do a ton of research first but this has been minimal this time and as it is, most of the places at the top of the list (Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Thailand, Brazil and Argentina) make it illegal to use a vape so Australia and New Zealand have been bumped up to the top of the list! (Aus is ok with a doctors prescription and NZ no problem). Initial plans are to fly into Perth for a few days, cross the continent on the Indian Pacific train to Sydney, backtrack a little on an indulgent pilgrimage to Broken Hill, Fly back to Sydney, Cruise over to New Zealand and then back to Sydney, a few days stay, a couple of nights trip to Uluru and then home. I Think I can stretch to 28 nights. So with much excitement about the trip along with a smattering of apprehension re sailing my first mainstream line in nearly 20 years the planning commences! My actual point of antipode is somewhere off the coast of South Island in the vicinity of Dunedin which I'll be visiting on the 17th Jan, so let the journey, quite literally, to the other side of the world commence!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Well I can't really believe it but I've accidentally gone and booked myself on a cruise for Jan 24, on Celebrity Edge! Fortunately there are 2 dear friends on the same cruise but I've never been on such a big ship (2900) but she does look a beauty. Usually I do a ton of research first but this has been minimal this time and as it is, most of the places at the top of the list (Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Thailand, Brazil and Argentina) make it illegal to use a vape so Australia and New Zealand have been bumped up to the top of the list! (Aus is ok with a doctors prescription and NZ no problem). Initial plans are to fly into Perth for a few days, cross the continent on the Indian Pacific train to Sydney, backtrack a little on an indulgent pilgrimage to Broken Hill, Fly back to Sydney, Cruise over to New Zealand and then back to Sydney, a few days stay, a couple of nights trip to Uluru and then home. I Think I can stretch to 28 nights. So with much excitement about the trip along with a smattering of apprehension re sailing my first mainstream line in nearly 20 years the planning commences! My actual point of antipode is somewhere off the coast of South Island in the vicinity of Dunedin which I'll be visiting on the 17th Jan, so let the journey, quite literally, to the other side of the world commence!

Awesome DW!!!  We may end up being in close proximity to you.   😁