Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I once saw a shirt that read:  "Beer - Its not just a breakfast drink anymore!"

My brunch favorite is of course a well mixed Bloody Mary - perfect for washing down all those brunch foods.  

Or, if you're in Canada,  a Bloody Caesar.  😁 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(cocktail)

48 minutes ago, drron29 said:

A good day for a young fellow from Colorado today @Stumblefoot.

Sepp Kuss has won the Spanish Grand Tour for cycling the Vuelta.

Thx Dr. Ron. It’s good to see a mountain kid, who only started riding a few years ago in college, achieve some early success.  He certainly has a bright future in front of him.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx Dr. Ron. It’s good to see a mountain kid, who only started riding a few years ago in college, achieve some early success.  He certainly has a bright future in front of him.

I like cycling and I follow the great Giro, Tour and Vueta! I always dream that when we are retired I would love to follow the stages in a camper van all around Europe......Sepp did a great job!

• Like 4

On 9/17/2023 at 8:19 AM, Grand Duchess said:

Breakfast is not really part of my daily life, but on holidays it is a must, especially when I am visiting Northern Gemany or the UK. Then it can get a bit over the top, think A.A. Gill's "Breakfast at the Wolseley"... Best breakfast ever was in a country hotel near Edinburgh. Kedgeree and white and black pudding and eggs any imaginable way, just heaven.

In Switzerland, breakfast tends to be on the sweet side, which is not to my taste so much. Apart from a really fresh well made Birchermüesli, of course. Yes it's "müesli"  not "müsli", which translates as "little mouse". "Müsli" however is a fixed term in the German language now, since the correct Swissgerman word seems to be difficult to pronounce, so dishes of small mice (also a term of endearment) are ordered every day😊

GD, I loved your post.  

It has always seemed to me that A. A. Gill understood life at the very least because he was  a confident contrarian and drank almost always whilst he thought and when he could remember to write.    It’s possible to  feel a degree of affinity with him if you are unencumbered by continuous sobriety and are happy to live oddly and think a little differently. 

I don’t like breakfast or dinner much largely because of it’s timing as to me lunch seems  such a perfect time anywhere in the world or whatever the circumstance.  You can prepare a bit earlier and stop a bit (or a considerable time later) and  the rest or the day can stretch around lunch.  breakfast and dinner seem so much more  stiffy to me. I have so many memoeries of lunch with people but can’t recall any breakfasts and very few dinners.  Lunch is king. 

The art is to take the very best from breakfast  or the very best form dinner but have it at all at lunch time and linger at it forever. And drink more because you can doze afterwards. 

The thing that can be improved on the great British Breakfast is to stop thinking of it as a morning meal - who on earth wants to get up early if you went to bed at 3am? ) and wouldn’t want to substitute the mug of tea with a well frozen bottle of decent champagne and after a late rise make your way to the kitchen and have an early morning Electric Tomato (OK ….  a Bloody Mary …) whilst you fry up a great British Lunch Brekky.

This to me seems civilised. 

A big shout for each and every and  all Coolers  …. great to see it aging gracefully. 

jeff

• Like 5

Good to hear from you, Jeff.  I guess the difference for meals between us is we are in  different groups, larks and owls.  So for me a bit of breakfast, a 'smackerel' of something for lunch, and early dinner and bed -  don't laugh, 10 or 11).  But on lazy holiday days, brunch is lovely, with later Spanish hours dinner.

Lola

• Like 3

Hi Jeff, nice to see you😃

Lola, I love breakfast for dinner...well, here in the states what I call dinner comes around 6-7pm.

There are plenty of times I make bacon and eggs with toast and that is my dinner🙂 I don't always feel like eating a "big meal".  Lunch? Usually a sandwich or a salad.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lirio said:

I like cycling and I follow the great Giro, Tour and Vueta! I always dream that when we are retired I would love to follow the stages in a camper van all around Europe......Sepp did a great job!

Like you I follow the big tours, what a team Jumbo Visma are, I'm already looking forward to next years Giro

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

I'm definitely in the lunch camp. Some of our most memorable times together with friends are the long boozy lunches. 

The thing is, that breakfast is always in the mornings and dinner is always in the evenings but lunch can start whenever you decide and end at any time and can end whenever you decide.  And what is the point of the rest of the day that isn’t lunch.  If your circumstances permit then lunch everyday can be almost all day.

And for the sake of forum continuity lunch on a ship is when everyone else has got off to explore a boring place with thousands of other ants. 

So far as boozy or unboozy is concerned then lunch at home or on land anywhere with it’s timely  elasticity allows you to siesta and wake up and fill the rest of what is left of the day with something worthwhile like thinking of tomorrows lunch. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The art is to take the very best from breakfast  or the very best form dinner but have it at all at lunch time and linger at it forever. And drink more because you can doze afterwards. 

A big shout for each and every and  all Coolers  …. great to see it aging gracefully. jeff

YES, super appreciate Jeff's dropping by and providing lively insights, thoughts and comments.  As always!!  Personally, I am not a big breakfast person, but do enjoy it when time for dining in the am.  Also, like lunch and dinner, too.  But, I can adjust accordingly.  

From past posts, I remember Jeff as being a super fan and skilled traveler to Singapore.  We are planning our first visit to Singapore in late February 2024 at the end of a Silver Moon sailing from Mumbai.  Will have three days in Singapore.  Among my questions for Jeff (or others experienced with this location) would be: What are the less well-known locations that offer insights as to the "real life" for people who live day-to-day in Singapore? Any special favorite dining locations that are fun, very tasty and interesting?  No interested in the over-priced "designer food" locations that get the media fawning.  Real places with good food!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

40 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, super appreciate Jeff's dropping by and providing lively insights, thoughts and comments.  As always!!  Personally, I am not a big breakfast person, but do enjoy it when time for dining in the am.  Also, like lunch and dinner, too.  But, I can adjust accordingly.  

From past posts, I remember Jeff as being a super fan and skilled traveler to Singapore.  We are planning our first visit to Singapore in late February 2024 at the end of a Silver Moon sailing from Mumbai.  Will have three days in Singapore.  Among my questions for Jeff (or others experienced with this location) would be: What are the less well-known locations that offer insights as to the "real life" for people who live day-to-day in Singapore? Any special favorite dining locations that are fun, very tasty and interesting?  No interested in the over-priced "designer food" locations that get the media fawning.  Real places with good food!!

Thanks Terry.

1.  Botanical Gardens and the Orchid Garden.

2.  Satay street at Lau Pa Sat EVERY evening for 40 mixed sticks and a jug of Tiger from a Tiger “Aunty”.

3.  Gardens By the Bat at niight for  the two light shows. 

4.  Tiong Bahru hosing estate and the hawker center.  Don’t over think.  It’s all cheap simply try everything and in particular stuff you thin you should never eat.  You will be suprised. 

5.  Chinatown food complex.  Hundreds of stalls missed by almost all tourists.  Try anything but if in doubt join a queue.

Enjoy

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Ive think you've just invented a new meal Jeff.

Drunch.

Fabulous.

Hope you are well xxx

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Drunch.

Fabulous.

Hope you are well xxx

Thanks Muchly. 

Counted all my bits and all present and correct with some needing oiling. 

Druch is a goodish word for a meal unsullied by work or other tedious obligations. 

Often think of you and your partner and your flamboyant travels! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Drunch.

Fabulous.

Hope you are well xxx

When we travel in places where restaurants are open throughout the day we have our 1 meal at 1430 to 1500 each day. We call it Lunner.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Thanks Terry.

1.  Botanical Gardens and the Orchid Garden.

2.  Satay street at Lau Pa Sat EVERY evening for 40 mixed sticks and a jug of Tiger from a Tiger “Aunty”.

3.  Gardens By the Bat at niight for  the two light shows. 

4.  Tiong Bahru hosing estate and the hawker center.  Don’t over think.  It’s all cheap simply try everything and in particular stuff you thin you should never eat.  You will be suprised. 

5.  Chinatown food complex.  Hundreds of stalls missed by almost all tourists.  Try anything but if in doubt join a queue.  Enjoy     Jeff

Super appreciate these helpful follow-ups and suggestions from Jeff in the UK.  

I already had the Botanical and Orchid Gardens on the priority list, plus the night light shows.  The others are very interesting and helpful.  Will share these tips and ideas on a Singapore thread on the Asian CC Board that has attracted a decent amount of interest and comments.  

For any others with Singapore experiences, don't be shy in sharing more insights and potentials.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 54,814 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

On 9/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, zqtchas said:

miles -j.jpg

in the 70s and 80s here in Queensland there was a very well known State politician who loved to go fishing. He had a small boat to go out on Moreton Bay frequently. He called his boat The Electorate so that if a constituent rang whilst he was fishing his secretary could honestly reply that he was unavailable as he was out in The Electorate.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, drron29 said:

in the 70s and 80s here in Queensland there was a very well known State politician who loved to go fishing. He had a small boat to go out on Moreton Bay frequently. He called his boat The Electorate so that if a constituent rang whilst he was fishing his secretary could honestly reply that he was unavailable as he was out in The Electorate.

That’s similar to the tale of Walter Cronkite, the CBS anchor. It is said that he had a boat named Assignment so when he didn’t show up for work they could say that he was on 

Assignment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4