Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hard to keep up here with the slow internet. But we are having a great time here in Botswana. Even though it's 101° today!

Here are a few sunset pictures from Saturday evening's boat ride on a channel of the Okavango Delta. The sunsets here are so pretty.

20231111_183330.thumb.jpg.0a55f6e28c72c422a0eff08c9bfb2ec3.jpg

20231111_183501.thumb.jpg.1f783043a50f7f5d121f01d6df0b2e39.jpg

Sunday morning in Vumbura we followed a small lion pride. They were off scouting for a future hunt. 

20231112_080216.thumb.jpg.b00180aebea4862bb79cbda6c6671ab4.jpg

Sunday afternoon we flew to Linyanti and saw elephants in the river right after we arrived.

20231112_163732.thumb.jpg.a6f722a4bac670d7bc4bc9979f11d68a.jpg

More cute lion cubs on the eveninggame drive. Of course! 

20231112_180132.thumb.jpg.26c80bc34504c45394ea87ec5150a1f0.jpg

This guy looks fierce and all but he only has three canines. He's missing the top right one.

20231112_181337.thumb.jpg.4c8656f3250579d0eca7e2d8cd96b1dd.jpg

He and his brother walked up very near to our jeep for a drink. I probably could have touched them. It's crazy how close they get.

20231112_181721.thumb.jpg.ba9090996313605459318bbef05a208c.jpg

This cub is expressing my thoughts exactly. Just finished lunch and now ready for a siesta.

20231113_090459.thumb.jpg.4ed4cfd8215d466824ba64f3bfba9d9b.jpg

Once it cools off a bit we'll do a boat ride on the Linyanti River. We can see Namibia from here!

• Like 16

I'm ticking things off my to-do list in preparation for our big adventure.  Today I put a check mark next to my submission for the NYE - Wishing Wall - Times Square for the Cooler Denizens.

Here is my wish to you:

Capture.JPG.2529db2d908f6cdc7a25cf2a7d119a8e.JPG

For background......https://www.timessquarenyc.org/whats-happening/nye-wishing-wall#wish

"Your wishes will be added to the confetti that flutters down in the heart of Times Square on New Year's Eve! Each year, people from around the planet include their wishes for the new year on pieces of official Times Square New Year's Eve confetti, either digitally or in person.

Whether it's a personal goal, a dream for the future or doing something for the very first time, these wishes are added to over a ton of confetti that floats down at midnight onto the revelers gathered in Times Square in celebration of the new year. Be a part of this most magical night by making your wish in person through our mobile Wishing Wall on the plazas or by sharing your New Year's wish with us below or on Twitter and Instagram using #ConfettiWish. We will add it to the thousands of others released above Times Square at midnight on New Year's Eve for all the world to see!

Please note that all wishes submitted digitally after December 28th will be printed for the New Year's Eve celebration on December 31st of the following year.

The Wishing Wall will be closed on December 25th."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Fabulous photos, JP - it is truly amazing how close you were able to get.   

And Mysty, love the idea of the confetti wishes and many thanks for including all the coolers in your confetti wishes for 2024!

That photo of the lion with a dental issue hit close to home this week.   My own darling cat Marino is scheduled for dental surgery this Wednesday due to what we hope is only an abcess. But the vet has forewarned me that a biopsy may be needed... 

So fellow Coolers with furkids, a heartfelt request to please send some good thoughts and prayers to Marino for an easy surgery and good news this week.  

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have one kitty who we've been giving fluids to for almost 5 years for her kidney disease, she's fine otherwise, a week ago our other kitty had been acting weird and hiding all the time, so had to take her in, anal gland problem, better now, both are almost 15 yr old. We know how rough it is when a furbaby is having problems, Sassi, Skoshi & I are sending good thoughts to Marino! Let us know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

That photo of the lion with a dental issue hit close to home this week.   My own darling cat Marino is scheduled for dental surgery this Wednesday due to what we hope is only an abcess. But the vet has forewarned me that a biopsy may be needed... 

Wishing the best to both of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, jpalbny said:

Hard to keep up here with the slow internet. But we are having a great time here in Botswana. Even though it's 101° today!  Here are a few sunset pictures from Saturday evening's boat ride on a channel of the Okavango Delta. The sunsets here are so pretty.

Super appreciate these great visuals, background and follow-up from JP for your spectacular experiences in Botswana.  Loved the sunset, lion, elephant, etc., images.  Wonderful.  

In 2016, we had seven days in Botswana in three different camps.  Amazing area and history!!  Per our Columbus Zoo Director who did over 25 trips to Africa, Botswana is the "Best of the Best".  That country has had solid leadership to make tourism done and workwell there.  

Keep up the great sharing.  Love to see much more, even with the challenged Internet.  Yes, it does get hot there, especially mid-day.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 55,231 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Screenshot_20231114-1315162.thumb.png.cfaded5ede605ccec911012558ffb326.png

Speaking of loaves of bread - did any of you know there are lamps made from bread?

Delta Airlines has opened a pop-up shop at JFK and online at which you can purchase items and earn credits toward elite status in 2025.   The odd assortment of goods today included three lamps that are made with actual slices of bread.

Toast-B Bread Lamp (thewindowseatshop.com)

• Haha 4

On 11/13/2023 at 5:01 PM, silkismom said:

We have one kitty who we've been giving fluids to for almost 5 years for her kidney disease, she's fine otherwise, a week ago our other kitty had been acting weird and hiding all the time, so had to take her in, anal gland problem, better now, both are almost 15 yr old. We know how rough it is when a furbaby is having problems, Sassi, Skoshi & I are sending good thoughts to Marino! Let us know.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:07 AM, QueSeraSera said:

Best wishes to Marino.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, jpalbny said:

Wishing the best to both of you.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts. Marino is 15 1/2 and has been doing very very well for his age (active, playful, funny) despite early stage kidney disease (which, as @silkismomnoted, can be managed for years).   

Unfortunately, today's examination revealed that the swelling in Marino's jaw is not a dental issue, but cancer.   My poor dear boy.