Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

5 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Thanks Host JB, going swimmingly so far. Train was a straightforward 2 hour journey with very pleasant scenery. Uber from Central station to the Hotel. It really is a lovely Hotel, everything works and nothing has fallen on me/ trapped me on a balcony yet. I’ve a stunning view across the harbour. Shame it’s only for 1 night but I’ve got the same room type after the cruise for 2 nights. Had a potter around The Rocks and took a ferry round to Darling Harbour and back. The really helpful ferry man told me not to buy a ticket, just tap the phone and it’s $8.50AUD for unlimited public transport all day at weekends. Very helpful. Had a bit more fruit at the bar and couldn’t resist an Ice Cream. Dinner on the roof tonight! 

Thanks DW for the tip about the ferries.  I'll be in Sydney in mid-February, but mid-week so probably have to pony up the big bucks for actual ferry tickets!

14 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks DW for the tip about the ferries.  I'll be in Sydney in mid-February, but mid-week so probably have to pony up the big bucks for actual ferry tickets!

Best start saving now! Just watched the Disney Wonder sail away under the Bridge. Ovation looks late leaving. Busy day in the harbour! If I can I’ll try and get footage of the lovely lady whisper arriving in the morning. Edge is due in at 6.00, Whisper @7.00. There were lots on the Indian Pacific going on the Whisper. Mostly first timers booked on a package with a large UK firm. Anyone on her or the Edge have a wonderful cruise. 

IMG_4166.jpeg

• Like 4

What an incredible evening. If you get the chance to have Dinner at Altititude (Shangri-la 36th floor) then do. 5 course tasting menu $195AUD.  If you want a window table you have to commit to a min spend of $250 pp, book online. The Scallop and Prawn Roulade was an absolute highlight. The Kangaroo was a first and last attempt. Watch the sun set over Sydney harbour with the most delightful staff. Sara is a Gem.  A Glass of Veuve Clicquot to begin, a beautiful bottle of Ye-Ye throughout and then an incredible glass of Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling was perfection with the Desert. Celebrity Edge tomorrow. Let’s see what that brings! 

DFAA2633-311D-44DD-AF68-91B42196CBC2.jpeg

915F4AD8-8DF5-4861-90E9-DC4B788517DF.jpeg

4155FCA6-F9CC-452B-8EA8-6FC01B3AFAC6.jpeg

EB0BD1E5-C811-428D-BB84-C5AAA1CA2088.jpeg

C067C19B-0FD6-4413-B148-F3FDC4F5C16A.jpeg

BD22F542-78DD-45B6-BFF1-DCE3B4A14293.jpeg

B7340551-0E1F-4856-B9BC-DB280E5C70F9.jpeg

889AC609-E8E6-4736-A30C-1F5926247190.jpeg

37DADAFA-F420-4982-971C-B2C79BF4CA5F.jpeg

B8605B0D-E039-40A9-9258-DC76A8D8E47A.jpeg

12CD13C0-CB36-467A-AB1A-742A40D64380.jpeg

2ED13646-E343-4102-99B7-0A4D418E6BF3.jpeg

• Like 11

DW mentions a person called Sara at his restaurant last night. Which reminds me of the folliwing true story:

In 2006 we handed a hire car back in at Launceston, Tasmania and asked the man at the desk if he could recommend a good restaurant for dinner.

"Yes," he said. "Try Stillwater and ask for Sarah and tell her that her father sent you."

So we went to Stillwater (which is a mighty fine restaurant, by the way) and asked for Sarah

" Hi, I'm Sarah"

"Hello Sarah, good to meet you. Can we have a table for two? Incidentally, your father

recommended you." 

She went very quiet and rather sad. 

"When did you meet my Dad?" 

"Just earlier today at the hire car place." 

"My Dad died 2 years ago."

Of course, this was an altogether different Sarah. Well, we felt about 2-feet tall. 

I mean, it's not our fault they had 2 Sarahs, is it? 

44 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

DW mentions a person called Sara at his restaurant last night. Which reminds me of the folliwing true story:

In 2006 we handed a hire car back in at Launceston, Tasmania and asked the man at the desk if he could recommend a good restaurant for dinner.

"Yes," he said. "Try Stillwater and ask for Sarah and tell her that her father sent you."

So we went to Stillwater (which is a mighty fine restaurant, by the way) and asked for Sarah

" Hi, I'm Sarah"

"Hello Sarah, good to meet you. Can we have a table for two? Incidentally, your father

recommended you." 

She went very quiet and rather sad. 

"When did you meet my Dad?" 

"Just earlier today at the hire car place." 

"My Dad died 2 years ago."

Of course, this was an altogether different Sarah. Well, we felt about 2-feet tall. 

I mean, it's not our fault they had 2 Sarahs, is it? 

Ouch!

Que Sarah Sarah!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Drron, i cant imagine you working in a restaurant, unless you were the chef…

Way back in my uni days I worked in an upmarket Sydney hotel as a cleaner. One night I was cleaning the toilets when the manager came down and says come upstairs have a shower and we have a suit for you. Two of our waiters didn't turn up tonight.

So 15 minutes after going upstairs I was serving Hors D'oeuvres to the American Ambassador.

But that's not all. Rojaan's sister owned a cafe and every couple of weeks we took over for a night or 2. Rojaan being perfect out front and I was the sous chef. My job was mainly making sure the cook didn't get totally drunk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

What a lovely evening - that view, sunset and the meal.  Looks marvellous,  Davey.  And you look suitably replete.  In the view across to the North shore I can see the lowish block of apartments on the left where we stayed for four weeks way back in 1987.  DH  was working, and I used to get the ferry from McMahon's point into town and shop in the basement food hall of the (think it was called David Jones) big department store.  A wonderful assortment of things to cook and to eat on the spot.

Your next adventure will be very very interesting to read about.

Lola

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

What a lovely evening - that view, sunset and the meal.  Looks marvellous,  Davey.  And you look suitably replete.  In the view across to the North shore I can see the lowish block of apartments on the left where we stayed for four weeks way back in 1987.  DH  was working, and I used to get the ferry from McMahon's point into town and shop in the basement food hall of the (think it was called David Jones) big department store.  A wonderful assortment of things to cook and to eat on the spot.

Your next adventure will be very very interesting to read about.

Lola

I Passed David Jones just before reaching the Hotel. Sweet dreams my fellow coolers. I Finally found the kill switch only a 5 minute walk away by the front door.  

987DADF5-BAAE-45FE-BFEB-3FD5214B4779.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Passed David Jones just before reaching the Hotel. Sweet dreams my fellow coolers. I Finally found the kill switch only a 5 minute walk away by the front door.  

A bit of late night exercise before sleep.

With that view I would have trouble sleeping though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Way back in my uni days I worked in an upmarket Sydney hotel as a cleaner. One night I was cleaning the toilets when the manager came down and says come upstairs have a shower and we have a suit for you. Two of our waiters didn't turn up tonight.

So 15 minutes after going upstairs I was serving Hors D'oeuvres to the American Ambassador.

But that's not all. Rojaan's sister owned a cafe and every couple of weeks we took over for a night or 2. Rojaan being perfect out front and I was the sous chef. My job was mainly making sure the cook didn't get totally drunk.

Who knew!!! Great stories we have to tell! Thanks for sharing!

I arrived at an RAF mess late one evening for my very first posting as a shiny new Flight Lieutenant. I unpacked and went to the bar where the only other occupant was a middle-aged chap sitting alone at the bar. We had quite a conversation and he seemed an affable old stick. 

Next day I happened to mention this to the boss who looked shocked. Apparently I had been gossiping away with Marshall of the Royal Air Force Sir Michael Beatham, Chief of the Defence Staff. Gulp. 

God knows what I said but maybe that's why I never got beyond Wing Commander! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

asked the man at the desk if he could recommend a good restaurant for dinner.

TTS, your embarrassment was the fault of the man at the desk.

Daveywavey, the photos & comments have been glorious fun.  Good to know that I'm not the only one to have been stumped by how the lights work in a hotel room.  Ruined a potential romantic evening in my distant past 

10 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Finally found the kill switch only a 5 minute walk away by the front door.  

Did you also find the switch for the blackout shades?  Or did you have to sleep facing the wall???  :classic_ohmy:

Great funnies from Dr. Ron and other interesting updates/sharing from DavyWavey70, etc.  

In case some are not aware, Silversea and current/upcoming Silver Moon passengers/crew are going through certain changes and chaos right now.  Late January and early February Silver Moon cruises in the Middle East are being scrubbed.  The Silver Moon is reversing course to go back up the Suez Canal and return to Athens, dump all passengers and maybe some crew.  

Then, in my opinion and speculation, the Silver Moon will need to sail west in the Med, go down the western coast of Africa, circle South Africa and then head strait to Mumbai to let passengers (including us) be able to board this ship in India.  Stay tune!!!  Silversea staff on the ship, in the US and UK, etc., are dealing with many changes and adjustments during to the warfare in the Middle East, including lack of safety for in and around Yemen right now.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2