Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

21 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Yesterday was our 41st anniversary, so we celebrated with leftovers!  I had made French potato salad the day before, so rustled up a Salad Nicoise, made a batch of garlic/dijon aioli, threw some shishitos from the garden in a very hot skillet with a little oil, then sprinkled with Maldon salt, cut up some bread, cracked open a bottle of decent wine.  I was recovering from a medical procedure, so didn't want to go out, but we'll go out to an actual restaurant this weekend, see how the pros do it.  Last year we celebrated the big 40 by making cruise reservations.  Hmmmmm.  

IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6731.jpeg

Lovely to read of your celebration of your 41st …. and to see piccies of food prepared with love and celebration.  Recipes from cook books are sometimes interesting but nothing beats seeing the dish actually lovingly made.   I’ve always felt that complex or basic you can always see the love in any food preparation. It never says it in the recipe -  but it is there or not.  That Niçoise Salad is lovely …. and in an olive wood bowl perhaps?

So please don’t stop posting piccies of your food as they encourage me to do better and be less lazy and more precise.  👍 🙂

We are back from Seaside and enjoying the deafening tranquil peace of the deep Hampshire countryside as an antidote to people enjoying the beach.  We got back to a garden with some new born baby rabbits, a squirrel and deer in the garden all at the same time.

I’d had this soup on my mind for a while and decided today was the day.  Think of a sort of kedgeree soup.  Smoked haddock, a small can of sweetcorn, some fried onion, potato, fish stock, parsley, cream and curry powder all in the soup maker and blended to a smooth’ish consistency

I made far too much but she finished it off with some toasted baguette to butter and mop.  Looks like nothing but tasted good.

Have a good day cooolers,

Jeff

IMG_6953.jpeg

IMG_6954.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

I'll leave you with this.....

You are the sum total of everything you've ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot - it's all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.

Maya Angelou

• Like 5

The great funnies and food/cooking treats keep rolling at The Cooler!!  Appreciate the excellent sharing and fun.  

To offer future travel options and/or bring back memories for those who have visited and enjoyed Athens and Greece, here is more news/insights to consider.  

From the Wall Street Journal for their weekend edition, they had this headline: Athens Just Might Be the Most Underrated Capital City in Europe"  with this sub-headline:  "The Greek capital was the cradle of Western civilization, but it has far more to offer today than its famed ancient ruins.

Here are some of the reporting highlights by author Tony Perrottet: “When I first visited over two decades ago, I found it a sprawling, gridlocked and gritty eyesore with graffiti-covered streets. Back then, most travelers allocated a day to visit the Acropolis, then fled to the glittering beaches and seafood tavernas.  Energetic Greek expats returned during the pandemic had opened restaurants, galleries, cafes and boutiques, and were joined by European bohemians flooding south in search of cheap rents and sunshine.  All of this has turned the Greek capital into one of the most livable and entertaining cities in Europe.”

Many specifics and details are offered, including for "underground dining" including at Diporto’s naturally cool cellar lined with wine barrels, doing post-Acropolis therapy such at the sandwich store Guarantee using local ingredients, rocking the Odeon of Herodes Atticus amphitheater with summer theater and concerts, art in the red-light district for contemporary-art centers at the Breeder, options at rooftops bar-restaurants such as at  the gilt-and-marble Hotel Grand Bretagne and the new Metro stop Dimotiko Theatro in the port district of Piraeus, where the Athenian fleet was constructed in the era of Pericles.  Lots of history and aspects to explore in Athens.  

Here is an interesting, different option cited: Benaki Museum of Islamic Art, considered one of the finest in Europe. People forget that ancient Athens was the trade gateway to Egypt and the Middle East and what one historian called “the first truly global city” as for more than 350 years, Athens was a key outpost of the Ottoman Empire. 

This WSJ article is behind a tight paywall, but might be obtained from a local library source.  Good to check it out if Athens is on your future to-do list.  Bring back nice Athens memories?  Any good Athens tips from those visiting there recently?  Below are two of our favorite visuals from being there during visits in 2006 and 2018.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3d5766c9bea1e426e9306ff48ef83d31.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8ce159bcea072c99596a392cf3d86f6f.jpeg

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/athens-greece-visitors-guide-e0050af2?mod=lifestyle_feat1_travel_pos3

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 69,101 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissSophia said:

Good Afternoon,

It was one gadget that will never end up in the garage and is the most important winter gadget.  I so look forward to the first winter soups and they  make the most wonderful soups with no kerfaffle at all.  It’s really for smooth soups which we love. Easy to clean.  

Make sure you get a sauté one.  

I never have followed recipes but simply make up recipes as I go with what happens to be on my mind .. and the favourite veg one is cream of curried butternut squash and sweet potato and onion witha touch of nutmeg and cream ……. using the Ocado pre-cut squash/pot bag.

Piccies of it in it’s utility room home! 🍷

Jeff

IMG_6952.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

Good Afternoon Peaceful Coolers!

I thought I was doing the right thing.  

It seemed to me that she looked like she was pining for something and it couldn’t be for me so I decided that it must be a  Krispy Kreme deficiency.   What else?!

So I devised a cunning plan.  An exceptionally cunning  plan.  

I over-nighted a delivery of two dozen mixed bestest Krispy Kreme's. 🙂 👍 😁

She of course complained and said that “there is far too many!”

How can there ever be too many Krispy Kreme's ?

😕

Jeff

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6973.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

Just to say hello; I have been away for five nights and now have not got time to catch up with you all, the Cooler is so busy. 

Jeff, I admire the way it is always your 'good lady' who wants things and for whom you cook so professionally, I guess you don't actually enjoy all of these yourself too?

Spent five days in our Lake District in my son's converted barn, with 8 acres of fell behind it.  It belongs to them, but is used by the local farmer for his Herdwick sheep who keep the grass down on the very steep land.  So it is fairly picturesque, and lovely to be there apart of course from the usual weather, which helps to explain the existence of the beautiful Lakes.  Out for a couple of meals, which I love, one of which was a Turkish mezze with Turkish wine (surprisingly good).  I love meals of what is currently known in the UK as 'picky bits' for a meal.  Of course, the weather was pretty good at home at the time, but you can't have everything.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Jeff, I admire the way it is always your 'good lady' who wants things and for whom you cook so professionally, I guess you don't actually enjoy all of these yourself too?

I’m extremely fortunate.  And you are right, but for the wrong reasons. 

I actually don’t eat much at all - partly medically  reasoned - but I gain extraordinary pleasure in making her happy.  So making her happy is certainly extremely self-indulgent. 

Thanks.

Jeff

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I’m extremely fortunate.  And you are right, but for the wrong reasons. I actually don’t eat much at all - partly medically  reasoned - but I gain extraordinary pleasure in making her happy.  So making her happy is certainly extremely self-indulgent. Thanks.   Jeff

Here in the "Colonies", we have a cute and mostly true saying that goes like this: "Happy Wife.  Happy Life".  Right?

While it is not important to most in other parts of the world, right now in the USA for many here, something super, super important is now starting.  It's the start of the college football season.  (Yes, we know that is different from the type of "football" played in the rest of globe as to what we called "soccer".  

Today at noon in Dublin, Ireland, Florida State University is playing Georgia Tech (from Atlanta).  Yes, long way to travel to Ireland, but that's sports and TV these days.  There are only a handful of games this weekend.  A week from now, they will have a full and very big schedule of games.  Then in early September, the National Football League (NFL) will commence.  The NFL teams are the "professional".  Maybe?  Good or bad, college sports has now become more and more like the pro's.  That is a much longer and confusing discussion.  Student athletes getting paid??   Below is a visual from this game now being played in Ireland: 

image.thumb.png.1df62d99fa91e847ab71259e11b4f4c0.png

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1

I am watching the game right now. It’s bringing back memories from last year when we went to Dublin to see Notre Dame (the Fighting Irish) play Navy. It was spectacular, Dublin really rolled out the red carpet for all of the fans!

I am watching the game too......not happy with my Noles right now.

Well, happier now! 59 yard field goal😀 and really happy it's football season again!!!!!

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon Peaceful Coolers!

I thought I was doing the right thing.  

It seemed to me that she looked like she was pining for something and it couldn’t be for me so I decided that it must be a  Krispy Kreme deficiency.   What else?!

So I devised a cunning plan.  An exceptionally cunning  plan.  

I over-nighted a delivery of two dozen mixed bestest Krispy Kreme's. 🙂 👍 😁

She of course complained and said that “there is far too many!”

How can there ever be too many Krispy Kreme's ?

😕

Jeff

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6973.jpeg

There can never be too many. EVER.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thankfully one minute on lowest power will revive a day-old Krispy Kreme to new-born condition.  So your ration needs to be a dozen a day there.

If that's too much, I can help...  😁

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thankfully one minute on lowest power will revive a day-old Krispy Kreme to new-born condition.  So your ration needs to be a dozen a day there.

If that's too much, I can help...  😁

You can have as many of my KK’s as you want.  We will improve the world.  We will reform the KKK.   The Krispy Kreme Klan. 

I’m awake for roughly 20 hours per day so two dozen (less hers) is an aspiration easily sated.

I have unlocked my front door for you.  Thump K three times and you are in. Other Koolers are also welcome for a KremeFest. 

😀

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

You can have as many of my KK’s as you want.  We will improve the world.  We will reform the KKK.   The Krispy Kreme Klan. 

I’m awake for roughly 20 hours per day so two dozen (less hers) is an aspiration easily sated.

I have unlocked my front door for you.  Thump K three times and you are in. Other Koolers are also welcome for a KremeFest. 

😀

Jeff

I'll come from Portsmouth with another dozen [only Original, I'm a purist!] from the truck in Gunwharf Quays.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'll come from Portsmouth with another dozen [only Original, I'm a purist!] from the truck in Gunwharf Quays.

It is discombobulating that you like  (like ‘er indoors) “original”.  Are you two ganging up on me? 

The new ones are unexpectedly filled with Kreme. Irrationally … perhaps … I thought I’d like the new ones and presumed I would have the experience and the intellect and dexterity to handle them well.  Apparently not.  On the first one (for new Kremers …. these are the fat cream filled ones) I bit into the left hand side and realised there was Kreme  inside whenit  squirted from the right hand side onto my facial hair.  “OK ….” I thought …. I’ll bite on the right hand side and all would be adjusted and sort itself out and all would be well.  

But “no”. 

It now squirted me on the left hand facial hair.  So now i was Kremed all over. 

Anyway.

Don’t go to Gunwharf Quays after dark.  Or indeed in the hours of lightness.  Or if you do, do not tarry for a KK but progress purposefully. 

Kremefully yours,

J.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I am watching the game too......not happy with my Noles right now.  Well, happier now! 59 yard field goal😀 and really happy it's football season again!!!!!

Appreciate the follow-ups from Spins, our California friend who had been in Ireland last year for Notre Dame-Navy and Lois.  

Earlier this afternoon, Lois was happy with a long, long 59-yard field goal by your Florida State.  The final ESPN headline, however, ended up being: "Georgia Tech stuns No. 10 FSU with winning FG as time expires."  

With the scored tied at 21-21, the final 44-yard field goal by Georgia Tech won the game in a thrilling, exciting manner in Dublin, Ireland.  Good luck to Lois and FSU next week when they host Boston College on Sept. 2.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 36,018 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi Terry, I watched the game.....our defense pretty much sucked the entire time.  We had NO run defense....and if we don't improve it, we are going to be awful this year.

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It is discombobulating that you like  (like ‘er indoors) “original”.  Are you two ganging up on me? 

The new ones are unexpectedly filled with Kreme.

Sorry that was unexpected to you – I knew that, which is why I avoid them.  Original KKs are already a Balanced Diet food:  you got your fat, your sugar, and ... what else do you need?  Certainly not something misspelled to hide the fact that it isn't a dairy product at all!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry that was unexpected to you – I knew that, which is why I avoid them.  Original KKs are already a Balanced Diet food:  you got your fat, your sugar, and ... what else do you need?  Certainly not something misspelled to hide the fact that it isn't a dairy product at all!

I think we all deserve to stand in wonder and awe at how our extraordinary planet has progressed from Dunkin’ Donuts to Krispy Kreme's.

It is hard to believe that in a couple of thousand years from now, our future descendants will look back and see this progressive transition as being pivotal to our development.  

Perhaps … mankind will become more clean-shaven in order to enjoy Krispy Kreme’s unmolested by premature and unintended Kremations.

Jeff

• Haha 1

Jeff you sound like Mel Brooks' 2000 year old man:  the greatest medical invention in the last 2000 years was ... liquid Prell.  Before that shampoo came in glass bottles.  You lathered up your hair, your hands got slippery, you dropped the bottle and it broke on the shower floor and you cut your foot.  Who knows how many lives have been saved by liquid Prell's plastic bottle?

And yes, becoming clean-shaven is not too much of a sacrifice to enjoy Krispy Kremes.  I already had to do it to enjoy Cotswold Cream Tea (especially the way I pile on the clotted cream – note, a real dairy product!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Jeff you sound like Mel Brooks' 2000 year old man:  the greatest medical invention in the last 2000 years was ... liquid Prell.  Before that shampoo came in glass bottles.  You lathered up your hair, your hands got slippery, you dropped the bottle and it broke on the shower floor and you cut your foot.  Who knows how many lives have been saved by liquid Prell's plastic bottle?

And yes, becoming clean-shaven is not too much of a sacrifice to enjoy Krispy Kremes.  I already had to do it to enjoy Cotswold Cream Tea (especially the way I pile on the clotted cream – note, a real dairy product!)

I’ve been watching a fair amount lately about Mel Brook’s and his work.  It is weird how genii  make their craft appear so effortless and seeing more closely stuff about their creative process makes you reconsider them and respect them more. 

On cream teas, I always obediently complied with tradition with respect to clotted cream, but I discovered that both of us thought the other preferred it, but actually we both preferred  thickly spread decent butter instead.  And we always keep emergency supplies of scones.   We love them on The Balcony.

It never occurred to me but do you live in the UK or just visit?

Jeff

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I bit into the left hand side and realised there was Kreme  inside whenit  squirted from the right hand side onto my facial hair.  “OK ….” I thought …. I’ll bite on the right hand side and all would be adjusted and sort itself out and all would be well.  

But “no”. 

It now squirted me on the left hand facial hair.  So now i was Kremed all over. 

I Think I’ve seen this video actually Jeff. 

• Haha 3