Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

So, one picture from our recent Chicago visit with 3 granddaughters (and parents of course).  This is at the Color Factory underneath the Willis tower (Sears tower), dear wife playing with the girls in the ball pit, just plain fun

colorfactorykaren2.jpg.b95995505939a09bb9689cd1e80206ad.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry for Lois with last night's Florida State game. As the ESPN headline noted: "Boston College stuns No. 10 Florida State, making Noles 0-2."   Their story detailed: "The Seminoles, viewed as a contender for a spot in the 12-team College Football Playoff, dropped to 0-2 for the first time since 2021."  

Boston College has a new, savvy coach, Bill O'Brien, with past Penn State and NFL head coaching experience.  College football always has its upsets, surprises and thrills.  Good luck for the rest of this new season.  

For this coming weekend, the "biggie" game appears to be for Saturday, September 7, #4 Texas, 1-0, versus #9 Michigan, 1-0, at 12:00 noon on FOX from Ann Arbor.  Any other major games of strong interest upcoming for next weekend?  Plus, later this week, the original "professionals" start with the NFL commencing its season.  

Full story at:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41102199/boston-college-stuns-no-10-florida-state-making-noles-0-2

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Hi Terry, the one thing I know for sure, after watching that game, is......WE SUCK.....qb is terrible, defense can't stop anyone and our schedule? We may lose 10 games.

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, the one thing I know for sure, after watching that game, is......WE SUCK.....qb is terrible, defense can't stop anyone and our schedule? We may lose 10 games.

Hang in, Lois!!  Your coach is a good, solid leader.  Things will get better for FSU. Hopefully!  Good news?  The 'Noles will not lose this coming weekend.  They have a bye week.  However this is tough to accept and understand as ESPN noted today: "Florida State came into the season not only as the defending ACC champion but as the preseason choice to again win the conference." 

39 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Hang in, Lois!!  Your coach is a good, solid leader.  Things will get better for FSU. Hopefully!  Good news?  The 'Noles will not lose this coming weekend.  They have a bye week.  However this is tough to accept and understand as ESPN noted today: "Florida State came into the season not only as the defending ACC champion but as the preseason choice to again win the conference." 

Hi Terry, I know what I have seen with my own 2 eyes......bad coaching  as well.

2 days to go to my annual visit to US to attend a conference and meetings related to my work. This is the excuse.

The reality is that I will visit Seattle for few days (and work from there) to attend an NFL game, visit Chihuly Garden and Glass (visited 2x in Atlanta), Beneath The Streets Underground History Tour, Boing visit, etc.

Then drive to Portland (where the conference and meetings will be held) and if possible, do some tours around.

It is not a cruise, but I will keep the coolers posted. Any last-minute recommendation will be appreciated.

I love business trips.....

• Like 9

Built in the ninth century, Prambanan Temple is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia.

9249.jpg.92b6e9a39a23f52e426d81ba0ba96067.jpg

On our grand adventure earlier this year we had the distinct privilege of an evening on the grounds of this beautiful place with dinner and entertainment.    On our arrival we were greeted with this spectacular.....

IMG_2358.JPG.bb6f09a1edd42fb4004c20728689680d.JPG

It was amazing!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You may see lots of ocean ships in Seattle, and Portland is also a big cruise port – for river cruises!

Jazz, I didnt know about the river cruises, just saw it now! Unfortunately it is too late. I would love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Built in the ninth century, Prambanan Temple is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia.

9249.jpg.92b6e9a39a23f52e426d81ba0ba96067.jpg

On our grand adventure earlier this year we had the distinct privilege of an evening on the grounds of this beautiful place with dinner and entertainment.    On our arrival we were greeted with this spectacular.....

It was amazing!

Sorry for the duplicate photo.  Here is what I intended to post.....

IMG_2360.JPG.2ff333c105b3d16d05a85e1ef90d3d79.JPG

• Like 6

Lirio, Well, if coming to Portland and have some time (& maybe a rental car), a few suggestions.  First, it is a beautiful setting.  Obvious nearby destinations are:

Drive up Columbia River Gorge (I-84 east), fun to stop at Vista House at Crown Point (on Oregon bank of the river), featuring the definitive view up the gorge.  Could go a ways further and see Multnomah Falls, a short walk to the famous bridge between upper & lower falls.  (But secure your car when parking.)  If had more time, drive to Cascade Locks, cross the Bridge of the Gods to Washington side, turn right, and either have lunch at Skamania Lodge, or book a whitewater trip on the White Salmon River.  Or visit the excellent Columbia Gorge Museum.  

Drive up the flank of Mt Hood, but only if you have more time on hand; or up to the south side of Mt St Helens, in Washington.  

Drive to the coast, down the Columbia River to Astoria, a lovely and historic town.  Eat some seafood.

Closer in, go to www.oregonwine.org site and look at their Itinerary: Northern Willamette Valley, to  visit just a few of the fabulous wineries in the area.

Portland is one of the premier dining places in US, if not the world.  Go to the Portland Monthly's website, and search for 50 Best Restaurants.  For my money, I'd try to get an early seat at Kann (for world class Haitian food), or go to the downstairs bar, when you can order much of the same food in a more casual setting, and without waiting three months to get in.  But, lotsa other good food to be had all over town.  Portland is known for food cart pods, which always have something interesting on offer.  Hope this helps, enjoy!  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Portland is a nice place to visit - we've been there twice for long weekends. And we've done the drive to Multnomah Falls and from there to Washington.

I can't attest to the fantastic view from the Vista House at Crown Point, however!

20190608_091809.thumb.jpg.486bc627c2652165dac96b75f1a88e7f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well it’s a bit complicated but I’ve been monitoring the MPox situation closely because of my upcoming South Africa extravaganza in January. Vaccines are still making their way through the 😉 African system and have yet to arrive, meanwhile Clade II seems to be running rife and seems to be a lot more contagious. If My tour operator cancels after I’ve paid for my flights (separate booking due to processes) I’ll lose £5k on flights not covered by insurance. Plan B that I’ve spent today figuring is becoming quite appealing. Fly to Mahe FC Emirates (Book BC but ^ on points) 13 night cruise on Crystal Symphony Mahe - Maldives - Sri Lanka - Sabang - Port Klang - Singapore. Quite an unusual cruise but one that ticks several off the list including Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and enjoying the Symphony again. One night at the Marina Bay Sands and then a couple of nights at https://echoresorts.com/gayana-marine-resort in an over water villa before joining  a great 10 night tour of Borneo and then returning on BC^FC on Emirates. Oh what to do? 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Well it’s a bit complicated but I’ve been monitoring the MPox situation closely because of my upcoming South Africa extravaganza in January. Vaccines are still making their way through the 😉 African system and have yet to arrive, meanwhile Clade II seems to be running rife and seems to be a lot more contagious. If My tour operator cancels after I’ve paid for my flights (separate booking due to processes) I’ll lose £5k on flights not covered by insurance. Plan B that I’ve spent today figuring is becoming quite appealing. Fly to Mahe FC Emirates (Book BC but ^ on points) 13 night cruise on Crystal Symphony Mahe - Maldives - Sri Lanka - Sabang - Port Klang - Singapore. Quite an unusual cruise but one that ticks several off the list including Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and enjoying the Symphony again. One night at the Marina Bay Sands and then a couple of nights at https://echoresorts.com/gayana-marine-resort in an over water villa before joining  a great 10 night tour of Borneo and then returning on BC^FC on Emirates. Oh what to do? 

Plan B sounds amazing DW! Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Malaysia are awesome! Go with your gut!  🥰

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I can't attest to the fantastic view from the Vista House at Crown Point, however!

My pictures from our visit to Iceland to see the Northern Lights would be similar JP, though a bit darker.  Still, we loved the country.

2 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Oh what to do? 

I expect you'll have a great trip regardless DW.

@mysty I'm on to Book 4 of Louise Penny & Inspector Gamache.  Quebec beckons as a land trip destination.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Fly to Mahe FC Emirates (Book BC but ^ on points) 13 night cruise on Crystal Symphony Mahe - Maldives - Sri Lanka - Sabang - Port Klang - Singapore. Quite an unusual cruise but one that ticks several off the list including Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and enjoying the Symphony again. One night at the Marina Bay Sands

But if you do that, you'll miss us in Singapore by two weeks! We'll be there on Feb 7/8th after our WC segment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Even for someone that doesn’t like sun, sand, beaches or coconut M? 

Yes DW!!!!!  We really enjoyed that part of the world!  I can give you links to the blog if you're interested.  😁

15 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

My pictures from our visit to Iceland to see the Northern Lights would be similar JP, though a bit darker.  Still, we loved the country.

I expect you'll have a great trip regardless DW.

@mysty I'm on to Book 4 of Louise Penny & Inspector Gamache.  Quebec beckons as a land trip destination.

I think you would enjoy it!  😁

• Thanks 1