Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Cats don't 'show the love' like dogs, at least only now and again, but funnily enough it is what some of us like.  Usually the type who are not effusive in hugs and kisses with others, apart from those they are genuinely close to - that is my sort of man, and cat.  You know if they are keen on you, they are really keen, and quite choosy.   (Written after a negroni and one and a half glasses of pinot noir).  Might regret saying it tomorrow.

Lola

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Thought I would say hello. Not sure how the weather has been where some of you Coolers live but it has been raining here since last week....I am sick of it and would love to see some sunshine......no sun here since maybe last Wednesday!

• Like 4

We've just returned today from a 12 day cruise to Scandinavia. Each day was sunny with temps up to 29c. According to the locals, that weather is unprecedented at this time of year. I'm not complaining.. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Cats don't 'show the love' like dogs, at least only now and again, but funnily enough it is what some of us like.  Usually the type who are not effusive in hugs and kisses with others, apart from those they are genuinely close to - that is my sort of man, and cat.  You know if they are keen on you, they are really keen, and quite choosy.   (Written after a negroni and one and a half glasses of pinot noir).  Might regret saying it tomorrow.

Lola

Each of our cats has definitely chosen one, and only one, of us. Dora is my lap cat and Duma wants nothing to do with me. He adores his Mom. I can't blame him, since I chose her too. 🙂

We spent the weekend in NY City to meet up with some old friends (our Maid of Honor and her husband) so we took them to dinner at Eataly Saturday night. It was fun to catch up, since the last time we saw each other was for her father's funeral, during Covid. This was a much more enjoyable get-together. And since they took the train in we could share lots of wine.

We enjoyed a Bone-in veal chop that was probably big enough for the four of us (but one of us ate it), and also a delicious Osso Bucco.

20240907_190433.thumb.jpg.b6e1fee0289eeef2231343cf7ee05dc1.jpg

20240907_190438.thumb.jpg.b13ab5199c8c1f4e0f75df62a9f1c37b.jpg

Sunday we wandered the West Side and stopped into Hudson Yards which we haven't visited yet. Looks nice, and there is a José Andrés place there with lots of food counters which looked delicious. Next time! The Vessel in Hudson Yards is a striking building.

20240908_121628.thumb.jpg.53168f4ce3047f651599c72cfa2f60b7.jpg

I really like what they've done to Broadway, in the 20s. Several blocks have been pedestrianized and there's artwork, cafes with outdoor seating. It's a nice oasis to walk through to enjoy the atmosphere without dodging cars.

20240908_154348.thumb.jpg.a1c74a755b77cc1d76655bd86049b27f.jpg

We went to an afternoon show (Six, about Henry VIII's wives) then had an aperitif or two at a wine bar on Broadway before dinner. Our dinner last night was at Bazaar, a José Andrés restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Nomad (that's why we didn't stop for lunch at his place in Hudson Yards). The tasting menu is highly recommended. Will have to put those pictures together at a later date; there were 10+ courses and all were delicious.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lola

I Must say Lola that my girls are utterly devoted to me as am I to them. They follow me around everywhere and get very stressed if they don’t know where I am. Kitty (the mum, left) in particular thinks she is a dog. If anyone goes to fuss her she rolls straight onto her back to have her tummy tickled. Every time we take the dogs for a walk the cats come with us. I Think I’m just very blessed with the cats that have chosen to spend their lives with us. Rose West (the daughter, right) has an opinion on everything, murders creatures constantly, her greatest achievement was a stoat, can’t figure out how to kill hedgehogs yet and chases dogs when she doesn’t like the cut of their jib. Butter wouldn’t melt though. Rosie doesn’t even acknowledge that my Partner exists. He can walk right past her calling her name and she doesn’t hear a thing. He can spend hours getting her in at night. I Only have to call her name and she comes running. 

IMG_0265.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thought I would say hello. Not sure how the weather has been where some of you Coolers live but it has been raining here since last week....I am sick of it and would love to see some sunshine......no sun here since maybe last Wednesday!

Very similar here Lois. We’ve had days of mizzle but it was glorious today.

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

We've just returned today from a 12 day cruise to Scandinavia. Each day was sunny with temps up to 29c. According to the locals, that weather is unprecedented at this time of year. I'm not complaining.. 

where you on the Hurtigruten TTS? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Each of our cats has definitely chosen one, and only one, of us. Dora is my lap cat and Duma wants nothing to do with me. He adores his Mom. I can't blame him, since I chose her too. 🙂

We spent the weekend in NY City to meet up with some old friends (our Maid of Honor and her husband) so we took them to dinner at Eataly Saturday night. It was fun to catch up, since the last time we saw each other was for her father's funeral, during Covid. This was a much more enjoyable get-together. And since they took the train in we could share lots of wine.

We enjoyed a Bone-in veal chop that was probably big enough for the four of us (but one of us ate it), and also a delicious Osso Bucco.

20240907_190433.thumb.jpg.b6e1fee0289eeef2231343cf7ee05dc1.jpg

20240907_190438.thumb.jpg.b13ab5199c8c1f4e0f75df62a9f1c37b.jpg

Sunday we wandered the West Side and stopped into Hudson Yards which we haven't visited yet. Looks nice, and there is a José Andrés place there with lots of food counters which looked delicious. Next time! The Vessel in Hudson Yards is a striking building.

20240908_121628.thumb.jpg.53168f4ce3047f651599c72cfa2f60b7.jpg

I really like what they've done to Broadway, in the 20s. Several blocks have been pedestrianized and there's artwork, cafes with outdoor seating. It's a nice oasis to walk through to enjoy the atmosphere without dodging cars.

20240908_154348.thumb.jpg.a1c74a755b77cc1d76655bd86049b27f.jpg

We went to an afternoon show (Six, about Henry VIII's wives) then had an aperitif or two at a wine bar on Broadway before dinner. Our dinner last night was at Bazaar, a José Andrés restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Nomad (that's why we didn't stop for lunch at his place in Hudson Yards). The tasting menu is highly recommended. Will have to put those pictures together at a later date; there were 10+ courses and all were delicious.

That’s an awful lot of baby cow JP! Congratulations on finishing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amid [or Amidst, in British 😁] all the bad news in the world, it was heartwarming to see Kate Middleton getting back in action and looking so healthy.  God preserve her to serve as the Queen she was so obviously destined to be.

• Like 8

Your cats are just gorgeous, Davey, and obviously like some people  most of them choose one person  to attach to; my son's lovely Lily obviously loves him much more than her mum, who does more of the litter tray  work etc. for her, and is quite reluctant to be petted by me.  My brother's little dog loved everyone who would take an interest in her.  My DH was more of a cat type person, and so am I.  

Your trip to NYC looks great, jp, and your veal chop looks not only lovely but enough for Sunday dinner for four.  Got the munchies looking at the Osso Bucco, though; my sort of food.

It was lovely to see Kate again - and what a surprise video of them all; quite different from any previous Royal news made for the public.  I suspect some older courtiers  and staff may have been taken aback by it.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Had a glorious 2 weeks of perfect late summer weather on Sylt, rather unusual for that time, but not complaining. Weather turned just Sunday evening when I flew home. Now autumn is definitely coming, rain all day yesterday.

IMG_8812.jpeg

• Like 7

After having our fill of delicious Spanish and Italian cuisine this weekend, we moved on to Germany for tonight's dinner.

I had found some pork sirloin at the butcher shop yesterday. Lightly pounded with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Then a dusting of flour and paprika. Then slowly sautéed in butter until just cooked through. 

Mushrooms and onions were next in the skillet, then flour and pork broth from my last roast. The sauce was finished with sour cream and served over Spätzle. 

20240910_182432.thumb.jpg.2cc1e76a52adbc502ff04eda69f35d55.jpg

And a nice German wine to go with it.

20240910_185015.thumb.jpg.e0a5424a3ac97d8b16a27ee11e4da699.jpg

We eat too well. Hopefully we'll have more time to exercise and burn calories once we start working less.

• Like 10