What to Pack

Alaska Sail

Hi All,

Sailing to Alaska next week on the MS Eurodam. I have my layers packed but am debating whether or not it was necessary to pack a thinsulate jacket or if a fleece jacket and vest would be sufficient. Also have a rain jacket for wet weather. Some people I have spoken to mentioned that recently weather was warmer than expected and humid. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

I always take a lightweight fleece jacket on any cruise we go on. The ship can be cold and it feels good to wear it. Also, you just never know when you will have a cooler than usual day when you wish you would have had it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have my layers packed but am debating whether or not it was necessary to pack a thinsulate jacket or if a fleece jacket and vest would be sufficient. Also have a rain jacket

Whichever is thinner of the thinsulate or the fleece (a jacket-vest combo sounds most flexible). Along with a hat, neck-tube or scarf, and perhaps gloves. I also have wool-blend socks, YMMV. And the raingear of course. This if you are doing calm-type excursions and not kayaking or hiking up a mountain, although that kind of activity might keep you warmer!

Here we are in JUNE of 2016 on the way back from the Skagway train ShoreEx, not too bundled up at all:

1349985760_suzispic.jpg.42e1e0b863fb9acfb34ffbba5e9a44d0.jpg

Whichever is thinner of the thinsulate or the fleece (a jacket-vest combo sounds most flexible). Along with a hat, neck-tube or scarf, and perhaps gloves. I also have wool-blend socks, YMMV. And the raingear of course. This if you are doing calm-type excursions and not kayaking or hiking up a mountain, although that kind of activity might keep you warmer!

Totally in agreement. Last year I spent some time in the Faroe Islands, where weather conditions correspond to the cooler days of an Alaska cruise. On the water I added a packable down-alternative vest under my rain gear, and a hat. I would have liked gloves but I forgot to pack them.

I think it depends on where you are from. The weather app I have been looking at for next week in Juneau high 63, low of 50. Keep in mind, I only go by 3/4 days out. When they show 9 days, much can change. Skagway is showing about the same. Rain for both.:( Ketchikan is showing nice except for rain on Wed. Partly cloudy on Mon, Thurs. and Friday. High 66 low in mid 50's.

Of course if you are doing Glacier Bay or if you are out on the water for any excursion, it will be colder. Prepare for the worst! Have fun. I leave 8/15. Hoping for some sun too.