EZair Madness

rbslos18

There is something a bit confusing with EZair fares. The flights I wanted were listed as $786.37. The airline website had the fare at $463.00 for the exact same flight. When I called Princess and was connected to the Air Department they said the airfare they were showing was $489.91, which I booked. Currently the website is still showing the $786.37.

I am perplexed! Can anyone explain what's going on?

Confused RB

EZAir website works the same as airline websites: the more you keep searching the same flight schedule without finalizing the booking, the more the price goes up. And the matrix will block you from any price reductions it finds.

Same thing happened to me flying to my Alaska B2B in May/June: went to change my two day post cruise stay in Vancouver to a pre-cruise instead; the airfare would pop up wildly different numbers every time I searched my new dates as EZAir knew I already had other flights (two days later on each end) on hold. One phone call to Princess got me more or less the equivalent of the best rate that had popped up.

This almost sounds like conspiracy theories :). Booking engines simply do not work that way. Those that have been involved in systems design understand that in a simple way its about front end and back end. With the EZAIR booking engine you can log-on and look at flight options or you can do it anonymously by simple doing it without logging on. If you are truly one of the conspiracy types you could use a different computer or device so there is no way they know who you are. If you are really paranoid use a friends device :). Fares are changing all the time and most of what happens with Princess is linked through their Polar System (this is what the EZAIR clerks see on their screens).

EZAIR only pulls up a selected group of flight options based on contracts and agreements between the airlines and cruise lines. Fares and availability are always changing based on contractual deals, availability, capacity controls, etc. So its true that you can look for a flight now, find a deal...and 5 minutes later it could be gone...or there could be a better deal. One nice thing about EZAIR Flex flights are that if there is later a better deal, and you find it, you can change your booking.

There is no guarantee that EZAIR will have the best deals when compared to other normal booking engines. We seldom use EZAIR for domestic flights since we can often find equal or better deals elsewhere...and EZAIR does not work with some airlines such as Southwest and Jetblue (because they do not give special deals to cruise lines).

We find EZAIR fantastic when it comes to booking International Business Class....especially one way. With International Coach and Premium Economy it seems to be a mixed bag. Airfares are constantly adjusted by sophisticated algorithms which drives frequent travelers nutz. If you see it now you may not see it a minute from now! With Flexair you probably should immediately book a good deal since you can cancel it up to 45 days before your trip. Otherwise, you roll the dice..you take your chances.

Hank

Hank,

I was taken aback by the $320 price differential. I would have assumed EZair would have the same price as the airline if not lower. I don’t believe there is a conspiracy, just a noticeable discrepancy

RB

When we booked Norway on the Sapphire this year, I had used Expedia to get a feel for air prices (Ft Lauderdale to London). This was about 9 months out, prices were quite high. I knew that they should go down as the cruise drew closer. When the prices got close to my desired price range I started to use EZAir to compare. Then at about 70 days out there was a big drop on EZAir and Expedia came down some. I contacted my niece to see if she was ready to bite and she was. So back to EZAir in the evening and the price took another decent drop (only 4 hrs later) and one connecting flight back popped up that allowed us to get home on the same day. So, from start to finish the price went from $1100 (economy RT) to $560 (economy RT) each. Flew Delta (FLL to Atlanta) then Virgin Atlantic to London. Love Virgin Atlantic. Return was London to JFK (never use JFK again) great flight. Then JFK to FLL (coldest flight ever)

It pays to keep checking through various sites for prices

Hank,

I was taken aback by the $320 price differential. I would have assumed EZair would have the same price as the airline if not lower. I don’t believe there is a conspiracy, just a noticeable discrepancy

RB

I have never seen the same price as the airline.

From what I have seen EZ Air prices are at least $5-$10 higher and up.

When we booked Norway on the Sapphire this year, I had used Expedia to get a feel for air prices (Ft Lauderdale to London). This was about 9 months out, prices were quite high. I knew that they should go down as the cruise drew closer. When the prices got close to my desired price range I started to use EZAir to compare. Then at about 70 days out there was a big drop on EZAir and Expedia came down some. I contacted my niece to see if she was ready to bite and she was. So back to EZAir in the evening and the price took another decent drop (only 4 hrs later) and one connecting flight back popped up that allowed us to get home on the same day. So, from start to finish the price went from $1100 (economy RT) to $560 (economy RT) each. Flew Delta (FLL to Atlanta) then Virgin Atlantic to London. Love Virgin Atlantic. Return was London to JFK (never use JFK again) great flight. Then JFK to FLL (coldest flight ever)

It pays to keep checking through various sites for prices

I agree. I am always checking and rechecking. :)

This sounds exactly like Royal Caribbean's Air2Sea. It is great for those one way flights overseas to fill the transatlantics. $400PP Rome to New Orleans, $350PP from Barcelona, etc., etc. It's usually less than this if you fly into a major airport like NYC, Boston, Orlando, Chicago, etc.

The domestic flights however are the same price or more than you can find yourself by shopping around.

Twice for our upcoming oct. cruise I've needed to call princess with a flight question. Both times I learned our flight fare had dropped. It was not visible on princess ezair site. I would not have known had I not called. DH & I are now flying round trip for our TA cruise cruise, Dallas to Barcelona, then Ft. Lauderdale back to Dallas at cruise end for an unbelievable $182 each!

We are doing a cruise/land tour in June 2019 on the Coral Princess and last week we purchased air through EZAir form Albany, NY to Vancouver and from Fairbanks to Albany, both on Delta for a total of $1577 for two people, $750 less than offered via the Delta website. Lots of time before the trip so we will keep watching to see if fares decrease via EZAir or Delta.

Hank,

RB

We have noticed all kinds of price differences between EZAIR and the airline sites, but that is simply the nature of "bulk air" contractual arrangements. Princess gets their air fares through direct links into their Polar System (a computerized reservation system used by employees) and the airlines are constantly changing their fares. That is why many frequent crusiers/travelers will advise always checking several booking engines (including EZAIR and the airlines own site) before booking. I have previously posted that the EZAIR savings on International Business Class and Premium Economy can be spectacular. But when it comes to domestic its often not such a good deal. We did notice that EZAIR now will sometimes have JetBlue offerings which is helpful....but you will not see Southwest flights on the EZAIR system. For the many Princess cruisers who use FLL....Southwest is often the best way to go...especially with their no-fee luggage policy.

Hank

We've only used EZ Air 2 or 3 times ... but each time the airfare was a significant discount from what I found on commercial sites. I always look for a price online first ... and then check EZ Air. If I book EZ Air, before I pay, I go online to see what the exact same flights would cost if I purchased them myself. On our upcoming transatlantic on the Regal, we're flying from Phoenix to Copenhagen ... and then NYC to Phoenix ... for $400 each. I had a travel agent friend of ours check the price of the seats and she couldn't come anywhere close to that price.

We have used EZair multiple times. The overseas flights are always impressive. The upcoming trip the gap between EZair and the airlines is much larger then we have ever seen. A $300+ difference seems way out of line!

We've only used EZ Air 2 or 3 times ... but each time the airfare was a significant discount from what I found on commercial sites. I always look for a price online first ... and then check EZ Air. If I book EZ Air, before I pay, I go online to see what the exact same flights would cost if I purchased them myself. On our upcoming transatlantic on the Regal, we're flying from Phoenix to Copenhagen ... and then NYC to Phoenix ... for $400 each. I had a travel agent friend of ours check the price of the seats and she couldn't come anywhere close to that price.

• 4 weeks later...

My EZair flight is on steroids. We paid $489.00 a month ago. Currently, United wants $486.00 for this domestic flight. EZair is weighing in at $1729.30 [sIC] for the exact same flight. EZair gone wild! Note Princess EZair webpage: “We've negotiated new, lower competitive air fares.”

Edited by rbslos18