Mediterranean Mosaic- 2019

cruising_Bif

I've been hesitating and uncertain whether I should pull the trigger on this cruise. Does anyone have any insight on the itinerary and/or ship (Pinnacle Class).

Rome

Dubrovnik

Kotor

Kerkyra (Corfu)

Katakolon

Athens

Santorini

Naples

Rome

Thanks!

Wonderful itinerary....have done it twice with the exception of Kotor which was beautiful! Why are you hesitating? Loved the Koningsdam,as well! Go....and enjoy! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I've been hesitating and uncertain whether I should pull the trigger on this cruise. Does anyone have any insight on the itinerary and/or ship (Pinnacle Class).

Rome My favorite city in the world. Plan to spend time there pre-cruise; at least 3 days if possible. Pre-reserve everything you can, stay in the historic center, and walk your feet off!

Dubrovnik Charming walled city, easy to do on your own if you want. Can get crowded in peak tourist months although there's been some talk of limiting the # of cruise ships in port on any given day.

Kotor Beautiful sail-in through Kotor Bay that is a must-see (either coming or going, depending on your timing)

Kerkyra (Corfu) Not my favorite Greek island, but nice. The town has a very European feel in some places and in others is like a charming medieval city with narrow streets. Very interesting icon museum (I think it's called the Byzantine museum)

Katakolon Main reason for stopping here is to visit Olympia, site of the original Olympics; trip is about a half hour from Katakolon, which is a VERY sleepy town with not much on offer. Olympia has a wonderful museum in addition to the site.

Athens Obviously another major port; get to the Acropolis as early as possible, then visit the Greek Agora, Acropolis museum or (if you really like classical antiquity) the National Archaeological Museum.

Santorini The iconic Greek isle with white houses and blue roofs. Get over to Oia and bring your camera. If you like ancient ruins, visit the recently reopened Akrotiri site.

Naples Fabulous port with too much to choose from. Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi Coast, Herculaneum, Naples itself! You can't do it all.....

Rome

Thanks!

Well, I've given my thoughts above. It's a nice sampler itinerary with more of a focus on the Eastern Med and Adriatic.

We are booked on this itinerary, on the Nieuw Statandam.

We have the $1.00 deposit flash deal, and Explore4. So, no risks ventured.

For us, this is a great itinerary, and is why we will give HAL a try. That, along with the new ship.

There used to be some even better itineraries... included ports like Venice and Turkey.

Would love to have been able to do the Regal Princess a few years ago.

But, from what I am seeing right now... This is the one we are looking forward to!

Rome, and Athens, and Santorini... Along with the other ports like Dubrovnik.

Like the above poster mentions, there are a couple of less than stellar stops.

But, for a first visit to this area, for us, it covers many of our 'musts'!

There used to be some even better itineraries... included ports like Venice and Turkey.

Would love to have been able to do the Regal Princess a few years ago.

But, from what I am seeing right now... This is the one we are looking forward to!

Yes, Princess used to have a couple of the best 'first Med cruise' itineraries. My first Med cruise on Princess was a stunner -- Rome, Naples, Alexandria, Port Said, Ephesus, Istanbul, Athens, Mykonos and back to Rome. Wow, talk about hitting a lot of highlights! :cool:

With Egypt and Turkey more or less off the table, and with the uncertainty regarding the allowable size of ships into Venice, I'm sure planning itineraries is a challenge.

Great itinerary - NAPLES, let me also add the one hour ferry trip to tiny "lemon island" of Procida that you can take from where the ship docks. Movie-set gorgeous (which it has been) and far less impacted by tourists. https://www.visitprocida.com/en/what-to-visit/marina-corricella

Rick Steves has an excellent walking tour of Naples in his Mediterranean Cruise Ports guide - an under-appreciated and quite gorgeous historic core city. Simply head to the left when you leave the dock area and let this remarkable city unfold for you.

Plenty of historic areas now pedestrian only so no worries about its former motor scooter gang drive-by swiping shoulder bags. Continue to use all due caution when in crowded areas as in any large city, but do not miss the quiet intimate charms of this city in its somewhat genteel decay once it lost its luster mid 1800's when it had been a required stop on any European Grand Tour and the equivalent of Paris. Plus no one does pizza or gelato better than Naples - choices on almost every corner.

The Archeological Museum in Naples is how you really see Pompeii - fabulous collections - not just a visit to the site itself.

'Rowdy'.... on HAL...

OMG!!!!!

We are fairly young according to the usual HAL demographics...

So, bring on the party!!!!

Hahaha!!!

Yeah, I would say we are in general younger than the average HAL passengers. A few of us in our 30s, but several in their 60s as well. I still need to negotiate some of the group perks, but HAL seems willing to accommodate.

lastlook, can you give me ideas on what to do, or a private tour guide. Especially for Santorini.

Thanks!

Hello,

This is the private tour description that we took in 2011, so it is rather dated. Someone on our Roll Call arranged it so I don't have the tour's contact name but can try to find it in the material that I brought home if you're interested. It was a husband & wife team who also own lodging on the island. They met us at the top of the funicular and they each drove a van as we were a group of about 8 couples. Heading to Oia first thing was great as we arrived before the crowds and could enjoy the fabulous views of the caldera while it was still quiet. At the end of the tour, we found the line for the funicular and it was very long, winding, and not well controlled. We decided to walk down, and it was interesting to see the donkeys trotting up as we walked down. You have to be careful walking down - we saw several people fall and you have to dodge the donkey droppings too. Be sure to allow enough time to get back down to meet the tenders back to your ship.

"We will start our tour with the famous Blue Dome Church - the one from the post cards and travel guides build at the edge of the cliffs in Firostefani with the great views of the Volcano, here we should take a few photos.

On the way to Oia (IA) we will stop at some point to have again the opportunity to photograph the Village from distance.

The village of Oia will be our next stop at the northern tip of the island featuring spectacular views, great sightseeing and shopping. This is a very cultural area with many arts and crafts, we will also drive down by the water to the small fishing village "Amoudi" known from the films "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants".

After Oia we will drive south and stop at the highest point on the cliffs for more views of the caldera, the new port where the ferries and hydrofoils from the mainland or other islands arrive and a closer look of the Volcano, this is another place for photo taking.

Next we will drive along the famous Black sandy beach and have lunch at a traditional tavern. (Optional not included in the price)

Our tour will end in Fira where you can spent your remaining time before getting back to the ship.

The above tour is approximately 5 hours where you will see the whole island from the one end to the other.

The cost for 8 persons is 450 Euros with an air-conditioned minivan and professional English speaking driver who will share his vast knowledge of the island with you."

lastlook, can you give me ideas on what to do, or a private tour guide. Especially for Santorini.

Thanks!

If you don't want to take a tour, Santorini is easy to get around. Once you tender from the ship, you can take a boat from near the tender dock to take you around to Oia, which is the more scenic town. This service also includes a bus back to Fira, which is the other major town at the top of the cliff where you tender.

I suggest getting to Oia as early as you can, before it is mobbed with tourists. Then go back to Fira and enjoy a visit to the Archaeological museum there, which has lovely frescoes from the ancient site of Akrotiri, and other objects.

To go back to the ship you will have to queue up for the cable car or walk down the steps (which isn't as bad as it sounds...)

Thanks!

I am still hoping to find somebody who will do a private tour, who can meet us at the docks below Oia.

I believe I found one local tour company who can do this.

It is probably fairly easy to get around! But it might be nice to have somebody who knows all the best spots, foods, and who an save us a lot of time!

With excursions at Rome, Athens, Naples, and Santorini - we will be spending a fortune!!!!

Thanks!

I am still hoping to find somebody who will do a private tour, who can meet us at the docks below Oia.

I believe I found one local tour company who can do this.

It is probably fairly easy to get around! But it might be nice to have somebody who knows all the best spots, foods, and who an save us a lot of time!

With excursions at Rome, Athens, Naples, and Santorini - we will be spending a fortune!!!!

Gotcha. :D

Well, if you add it all up and want to reconsider, Santorini is a pretty easy one to DIY.

As much as I love the idea of visiting Greece, I think I'm even more excited about Dubrovnik and Kotor. I wish the cruise left out of Venice, but beggars can't be choosers.

Memory lane here - in the late 1960's I first visited Dubrovnik on a Greek Chandris line cruise, when it was securely under the thumb of Tito's Yugoslavia.

I remember thinking as we visited this crumbling walled city with no amenities that it would be a really great tourist draw, if they just fixed it up a bit, cleared the rubble on the broken ramparts and opened a few cafes. We ordered one item in a little bakery and concluded they did not even have sugar or butter available in this Warsaw Pact country back then. Fast forward to today - they obviously listened!

Kotor is my home town's sister city so we got a very indepth tour as a reciprocal perk. Pays to check any sister city status before you go, and see if you have any surprising connections already in place.

As much as I love the idea of visiting Greece, I think I'm even more excited about Dubrovnik and Kotor. I wish the cruise left out of Venice, but beggars can't be choosers.

Well....if you can add a few extra days to your pre or post cruise stay in Rome, you can take the train to Venice! We did just that....pre cruise....left our big suitcases at the apt we rented in Rome and took a carry-on to Venice....stayed overnight and returned late the following night. Train ride was about 3 hours.