Is Cave Tubing really that good?

isladonna

We were to go cave tubing with Butts up cave tubing on our cruise back in November.  They are not a ship sponsored excursion, but are the largest independent operator for Belize (Yonney is the owner's name and is a good fellow).

We departed enroute to our destination when it was radioed in that the river level was too high due to heavy rains the day prior and the government had closed the river so we diverted and did the ATV excursion instead.

But our guide did take us to show us the river (which was running very high and swift), and we did eat lunch at the facility near the cave tubing that the company owns, so it is the same lunch that is included if you do the cave tubing excursion.  It was chicken tamales and they were fine.  No complaints.  And the price through this company is less than half the price of the ship sponsored excursion (which does not include lunch).

So if we end up in Belize again, we will try again for the cave tubing with this group.

Don

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shocker4 said:

My biggest concern was lack of food on this port day, I recommend you BYO.  I saw people eating dry cereal from boxes they brought from the ship and others had Pringles cans.

Thanks for the tip.  My boy isnt picky but his idea of Mexican is tex-mex that we eat in Oklahoma.  Not sure he would be keen on an authentic tamale and I know my mom wouldnt be.  

If you get the excursion listed as "cave tubing with lunch included" then you get a full hot meal of baked chicken, rice and beans, salad.  That is what we got and it was delicious.  There is also a food stand right there by all the picnic tables where everyone eats with food for sale as well as drinks and adult beverages for sale.  There is no reason to eat cereal boxes from ship.  

We did kayak and others did tubing, about the same time. More van riding and walking than water time. Don't do tandem, do single kayak, shallow areas and doubles drag. Best thing was the $6 coconut with rum at the end, deadlock guy across the parking lot.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, ABQrobin said:

If you get the excursion listed as "cave tubing with lunch included" then you get a full hot meal of baked chicken, rice and beans, salad.  That is what we got and it was delicious.  There is also a food stand right there by all the picnic tables where everyone eats with food for sale as well as drinks and adult beverages for sale.  There is no reason to eat cereal boxes from ship.  

Not for us!  The food stand shut down after we ordered 2 hot dogs for 4 adults to share.  The people in line behind us were told there was no more food.  Given how hangry our group got, I can only recommend you BYO just in case.  Also we were delivered back to port in time to catch the last scheduled tender which was docked & loading so also didn't have time to find food in port.  It was not a good situation to eat at 7:30 am & not again til 4:30pm.  We had a diabetic in our group that  brought one high protein bar (from home), but had to split that with another member of the group that started feeling faint at 12:30pm when we were river side, no where near food.  There was no provision or time offered for food.  So, BYO or book a lunch inclusive excursion.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2019 at 3:13 AM, o-state girl said:

Cavetubing.bz provides a Belizean lunch with their excursions.  I have used them twice and have really been impressed with their service.

No issues getting to them and back to the boat in plenty of time?  So worried to use a non-Carnival tour for this.

37 minutes ago, ccturner26 said:

No issues getting to them and back to the boat in plenty of time?  So worried to use a non-Carnival tour for this.

We had no issues. The second time we used them, the tenders from the ship were a little late to get started so we left for the tour a little later than expected. The tour guides just shortened our hike time a little bit from what it was the first time we went. The first time they had stopped a few times during the hike to explain how the Mayans used different trees for  medicine or other uses. The second time was a little more rushed, but we still had plenty of time to tube and eat lunch. They got us back to the port about 45 minutes to an hour before the last tender. 

• 1 month later...

Cavetubing dot bz is a good group.  Prices are reasonable & lunch is provided.  The tubes are by the caves so you aren't hiking with them.  I enjoyed the tour, but would only do it again if I were with friends who really wanted to do it.  It's a pretty relaxing tubing experience.  In fact, one guy slept through the whole thing when we went. The tubes had a bottom on them as well as a backrest.  No problem getting back to the ship in time - these guys take cruisers out all the time and are mindful of when to be back.  The only thing I didn't like was the long bus trip to the cave and there's not anything you can do about that.

• 4 months later...

I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed by it. If you have ever been somewhere like Carlsbad Caverns or swan in true cenotes with fish with no eyes, you will be very disappointed.