How can the Eclipse cruise to Antarctica using heavy fuel?

ghstudio

Thank you both...I found some info on scrubbers being added to celebrity ships...but no ship names. I also found a reference that celebrity ships can power with low sulfur fuels....so great answers to my question

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the behind the scenes on the Eclipse yesterday. They said they carry both types of fuel. In environmental protection areas they burn the low sulphur diesel. When they are allowed they burn the much cheaper heavy fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Solstice class ships carry both - heavy fuel and MGO. For Antarctica they have to emtpy the heavy fuel tanks completely and are allowed to run on MGO only (international laws).

In the Baltic Sea they can carry heavy fuel but have to run on MGO unless they do have functional scrubbers. In 2016 the scrubbers on the Silhouette were built in but not operating yet. So I specifically asked the environmental officer and he confirmed that they were using MGO (marine diesel).

steamboats

Thank you both...I found some info on scrubbers being added to celebrity ships...but no ship names. I also found a reference that celebrity ships can power with low sulfur fuels....so great answers to my question

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having cruised on the Eclipse a fair number of times (11) since 2012 I can confirm that the work on the scrubbers was done while we being done while we were on the ship because I remember the loud noises that started every day in the afternoon.