Where Do We Eat With a 7pm Sailing

PeeBee2

We are sailing on the 19th October on the NOS from Southampton in a J3 suite and we are not experienced sailors, are both in our mid 70’s and my wife has a mobility issue where she uses a scooter. Accordingly I wonder if the more experienced RCI travellers might be able to offer us some advice please.

The ship is shown as departing at 7pm, we have elected 1st sitting. As there will be a ‘muster drill’ just prior to sailing I assume there wont be a 1st sitting meal time in the MDR available on the day ?.

I am concerned about this because my wife is insulin dependent and as a result of travelling that day to join the ship, the 6pm meal time would have been her main meal. In an effort to avoid likely consequences of her missing this meal resulting in it disturbing her insulin injection regime I need to be planning now on how and where we will be able to obtain a meal. Could we just turn up in the MDR after muster drill and try and get a meal I wonder ?.

We are sailing on the 19th October on the NOS from Southampton in a J3 suite and we are not experienced sailors, are both in our mid 70’s and my wife has a mobility issue where she uses a scooter. Accordingly I wonder if the more experienced RCI travellers might be able to offer us some advice please.

The ship is shown as departing at 7pm, we have elected 1st sitting. As there will be a ‘muster drill’ just prior to sailing I assume there wont be a 1st sitting meal time in the MDR available on the day ?.

I am concerned about this because my wife is insulin dependent and as a result of travelling that day to join the ship, the 6pm meal time would have been her main meal. In an effort to avoid likely consequences of her missing this meal resulting in it disturbing her insulin injection regime I need to be planning now on how and where we will be able to obtain a meal. Could we just turn up in the MDR after muster drill and try and get a meal I wonder ?.

There is always the Windjammer buffet.... grab a bite there before muster.

There likely will be a traditional first seating at 6pm as the muster likely be at 4:30 to 5:30pm when most embarking passengers will be onboard. In 57 cruises, mostly on RCCL ships, I can't recall a traditional first dining seating on embarkation day cancelled because of muster.

They will schedule the muster to allow that seating to happen. This includes having a make up muster for guests who embark late when the ship is sailing later in the evening as has happen with us a few times out of San Juan, PR.

There likely will be a traditional first seating at 6pm as the muster likely be at 4:30 to 5:30pm when most embarking passengers will be onboard. In 57 cruises, mostly on RCCL ships, I can't recall a traditional first dining seating on embarkation day cancelled because of muster.

They will schedule the muster to allow that seating to happen. This includes having a make up muster for guests who embark late when the ship is sailing later in the evening as has happen with us a few times out of San Juan, PR.

I agree - main dining will be as scheduled.

To original poster, you will be required to attend the muster drill, however, you will be able to do this at a special location. Handicapped, people who are unable to stand for long periods, wheelchair, scooter users can ask where to go for the muster drill. Crew are very accommodating and helpful.

There will be a first seating. Worst case scenario, it will be a little later (6:30 or 7), with the second seating starting later as well. Most likely, muster will be early; probably 4:30, allowing a timely dinner.

On our last cruise (FOS in April), there was an embarkation problem. As a result, most passengers could not embark until almost 3. Our 5 PM departure turned into a 7 PM departure. Our 4 PM muster was at 5:15. 5:30 dining was moved to 6:30, and 8 PM dining was moved to 9.

Don’t worry. Everyone will eat.

Thank you all for your very re-assuring replies. We have only ever sailed with RCI once before (IOS) in 2011. I was aware of the WJ but wasnt sure whether it is open for meals on a sail day. However, as has been pointed out, as the WJ is open then we could use it in the absence of the MDR being available. We are really looking forward to this now, our first suite !

Your meal time will be as scheduled and won't be affected. Muster drill will be before early dining. If you wife needs to eat something - Windjammer on deck 11 opens for dinner at 6pm and there is always Café Promenade on deck 5 which is open 24 hours a day.

Thanks Livylotte, as the general consensus is that there will be a 1st sitting, even if its re-scheduled slightly, answers my question with the WJ as a fall back.

Thanks also Grandma Dazzles, I didnt know that passengers with mobility issues are catered for at a separate Muster if necessary. I dont think though that it will cause us a problem as my wife will have her scooter to sit on and could walk a short distance before having to sit down.