MS Eurodam Alaskan Cruise

Alaska Sail

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the MS Eurodam andwanted to share my thoughts. This wasonly my second cruise ever and my first with Holland America. The Eurodamdefinitely did not disappoint. I liked the fact that this is a mid-sized shipwith only about 2500 passengers. Theship is well decorated, clean and has many shared spaces for relaxing. We had a stateroom on the Verandah deck which wasspacious and comfortable, with a nice balcony for reading or just watching thebeautiful Alaskan landscape. Loved the fact that we could stream movies ondemand as it was a nice way to relax when returning to our room late in theevening after dinner and a show. Wefound the food served, both in the main dining room and Lido deck, to bedelicious with a great variety. Though the Lido deck was a bit overwhelmingfor lunch on our first visit the day of departure and at times could bedifficult to find seating near a window, we found it to be a convenient optionwith good food for a quick breakfast or lunch on those days when we wereentering port and had an early excursion. We only dined at one specialty restaurant,The Tamarind, and our meal there was outstanding. Their sushi was so incredibly fresh and theyoffered different Pan Asian entrees. Wewent there to celebrate a birthday and the staff could not have been moreattentive and friendly.

Speaking of staff, the entire staff on the Eurodam wasfriendly, polite and made a concerted effort to accommodate you. We were always greeted with a smile and by ourfirst name both by our room steward and our dining room waiter. We did have coupleof issues on our first day. We had beenassigned to open dining when we had requested the 8 pm main dining room seatingand our stateroom was overlooked by our steward on the first night of sailing.Both issues were rectified and addressed in a short time period, though I wouldrecommend walking to the guest services desk to speak to someone in personabout a problem rather than calling. Ifound this to be a better way of explaining any issues so as to avoid anymiscommunication.

We enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. Most shows on the main stage were verygood. Our favorite place to grab acocktail though was the billboard on board with the dueling pianos. The two musicians who performed were great. Theyhad beautiful voices and played a wide range of music. There was also the BBKing jazz club for music and dancing.

We booked all of our excursions through Holland Americawhich all worked out well. For those who are contemplating that there may notenough time for the excursion to Butchart Gardens in Victoria or that it will turn dark too quickly, that is notthe case. This was one of our bestexcursions and the gardens are spectacular. You also have a chance to see some of the city on the drive to and fromthe gardens, and we had plenty of daylight for picture taking while there.

Like most people, we arrived in Seattle a day prior to thecruise leaving. We had booked ourSeattle stay as well as our airport and ship transfers through Holland America. We stayed at the Fairmont Olympic and lovedit. The hotel has an old world charm and offers serene, spacious rooms and aluxurious bathroom. It was well located within walking distance to manyattractions. The best part was thatHolland America had representatives present at the hotel for us to check inwith on Saturday morning. They then tookus by coach bus directly to the pier. Itwas a great way to start our vacation.

For those who have a late flight on the day the ship returnsto port, the Seattle Port Valet service was a great option. We had over six hours between disembarkingthe ship and our flight leaving, so it was nice to use the Port Valet serviceso we did not have to have our suitcases with us on that last day.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Holland America andlook forward to sailing with them again. Alaska offers a spectacular landscape that I think can only beappreciated by seeing it in person.