Epic out of Barcelona - bars open on embarkation day

kokopelli-az

• 2 weeks later...
you are charged tax while in port/ once at to sea no tax

Is this your experience on this itinerary, or are you talking generally?

On this specific itinerary, tax is charged all through the cruise as it doesn’t leave the EU VAT area. Unless something has changed recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On this specific itinerary, tax is charged all through the cruise as it doesn’t leave the EU VAT area. Unless something has changed recently.

This is still correct I’m sure which is why I questioned it. Unless the cruise has an non Europe port, tax is charged on all purchases onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is still correct I’m sure which is why I questioned it. Unless the cruise has an non Europe port, tax is charged on all purchases onboard.

Yes, you would think if it had changed then someone would have mentioned it on here.

However, it would be a positive, so probably not actually worth posting it here. The general rule is that positive things get one comment and negatives get a thousand threads.

Cruise the EBTA last year, and the WBTA this Oct.....do looking forward to it.

Before you order a drink, just ask about the port tax on the drinks

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D"

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D"

The transatlantics are different itineraries to the Barcelona/Rome round trips. On the round trips, tax is charged all the way.

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D"

The transatlantics don’t count as they have non eu ports in them. Any cruise that is a round trip with no non eu ports will have tax charged the entire cruise.

The transatlantics don’t count as they have non eu ports in them. Any cruise that is a round trip with no non eu ports will have tax charged the entire cruise.

Wow, thanks for this information. I was completely unaware the this itinerary will charge tax the entire cruise. Would you know what the rate is???

It varies depending on what you purchase. For drinks it is 10%, from memory, but it is higher for some other things.

I’ve not done the itinerary for a couple of years, so my information may be out of date.

So Keith.. I don't recall having to pay tax on my drink package in the past. This time I have booked through UK so I have gratuities included on everything. I was thinking that basically I have paid in advance for everything. Would you expect me to have a tax bill at the end of the trip???

So Keith.. I don't recall having to pay tax on my drink package in the past. This time I have booked through UK so I have gratuities included on everything. I was thinking that basically I have paid in advance for everything. Would you expect me to have a tax bill at the end of the trip???

Yes, you shouldn't have to pay any tax on your drinks.

For the past couple of years, tax hasn't been charged on drinks purchased using the beverage package on this itinerary.

At the start of this summer season there was a bit of debate about this, as people were being charged whilst in port on the Spirit, which hadn't been the case previously. However, they stopped doing that back in April (a couple of days before I got onboard at Easter), and I haven't seen any mention of any problems on the Epic, so I can only assume that they haven't been charging the tax on this itinerary if you have the package.

Just be aware that this has changed in the past, so nothing is guaranteed.