Travel Insurance

ShipShapely

GeezerCouple - it sounds like you are happy with your arrangements. Just as an FYI - check out The Points Guy with excellent information about cards, points, etc with great analysis and comparisons of different cards & programs.

buggins0402 - you have to sign up to Singapore Airline FF program and then you can see availability & transfer points to their program as needed.

The transfer is not instantenious so you have to get a good feel ahead of time for availability for your flights. You can also waitlist for preferred flights if you do not get your first choice.

My problem with AA is the awful availability of awards since their merger with US Airways (though CX & JL are still decent for Asia; Europe is the problem).

In addition to losing points after 18 or 24 months inactivity with Singapore they close your account so you have to rejoin with a new ff number.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct flyer however Chase has 9 airline partners and from those 9 you have the ability to transfer to each of those partners plus 4 hotel transfer partners and using 1.5x virtually unlimited airlines and hotels by buying the flights. And the 3x is good with all travel and restaurants.

For our next cruise we transferred to Singapore which was 20% less expensive than UAL and better flights on one of the worlds best airlines.

Again, not arguing against Sapphire. Nonetheless, United points are good for 28 airlines (including Singapore) - spending or earning; those EARNED (not transferred) miles count to higher UA/Star Alliance status, blah blah blah.

Nonetheless, United points are good for 28 airlines (including Singapore) .

(Highlighting mine)

This is only true if you want economy awards on Singapore - maybe OK for short flights in Asia.

However, Singapore does NOT make premium awards available for UA miles. If they did, there would be none left for their own FFs with the number of UA FFs. Even if they did - which they do not - as Singapore releases their awards at T-350, by the time you can use UA miles at T-335 there are no premium awards left.

The above is true unless things have changed recently, which I doubt. Even CX has now made their F awards essentially unavailable for AA FFs - for the same reason.

Edited by Paulchili

This is only true if you want economy awards on Singapore - maybe OK for short flights in Asia.

However, Singapore does NOT make premium awards available for UA miles. If they did, there would be none left for their own FFs with the number of UA FFs.

Unless things have changed recently, which I doubt. Even CX has now made their F awards essentially unavailable for AA FFs - for the same reason.

Oh dear... CX F? When did this change?

It was our favorite flight EVER.

And we were hoping someday to have a chance to try the Singapore Suites "double".

We "need" a photo of that :)

GC

Oh dear... CX F? When did this change?

It was our favorite flight EVER.

It’s been a while now. You might get lucky but don’t count on it. That said, J awards are still available.

Also, CX FFs can get those a lot earlier than AA FFs due to when CX releases awards vs AA awards.

That said, I’ve been away from AA forum for some time - however, bad news are seldom reversed :)

And we were hoping someday to have a chance to try the Singapore Suites "double".

We "need" a photo of that :)

GC

You can book those Singapore Suites with UR points converted into Singapore miles - not that hard with advanced planning. We flew in those from LAX to TYO - WOW!

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/flying-withus/cabins/suites-class/