Router/Wifi extender

Has anyone used the above to get past the one device rule ?

I use one in hotels and campsites sometimes when you have a one device package the router connects and counts as your one device then you connect your other devices to the router. I wonder if it would work on the ship for the VOOM package ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use one in hotels and campsites sometimes when you have a one device package the router connects and counts as your one device then you connect your other devices to the router. I wonder if it would work on the ship for the VOOM package ?

Each device on the network has it's own unique MAC address that is hard coded into the device. That could be a show stopper.

Technically you could with a router, you would bet NATed so MAC addresses won't be an issue, and I doubt they will have any traffic monitoring sophisticated enough to pickup odd simultaneous behaviour. Not sure I've ever seen an off the shelf router that would allow you to use wifi as the external network, and you'd need to log in to the web portal thing, so you might have to use a raspberry pi or something similar and configure it yourself.

Technically you could with a router, you would bet NATed so MAC addresses won't be an issue, and I doubt they will have any traffic monitoring sophisticated enough to pickup odd simultaneous behaviour. Not sure I've ever seen an off the shelf router that would allow you to use wifi as the external network, and you'd need to log in to the web portal thing, so you might have to use a raspberry pi or something similar and configure it yourself.

i have done it many times, its a little travel router I have, your device connects directly to the router then through the router you connect to the internet and log in, the internet sees the router as the one device and then all your other devices connect to the router, its basically like a wifi extender. Used it many hotels while on holiday but wondered if anyone had actually done this on a ship.

Sure, you could get it to work, changing the MAC address of the router to match your device. However, it would only work within the stateroom, or very close.

Bob is correct, if you clone your mac address it will work fine. The problem is that not all range extenders will allow you to clone or change the mac address.

In a related note, the issue has been fixed now, but I remember when the royal Caribbean app 1st came out, if you had the wifi package and you signed into the app, you could get on the internet without issue. I think it just passed your info (package details) along to the network and off you went. Well my wife also had the app on her phone and used my login pre-cruise to check the program out. Long story short, we found out that as long as you opened the app on your phone and logged in with an account that had the internet package you could get on the internet as long as you kept the app running. It did not matter how many devices were being used at once, it would work...I could surf on my android, my wife on her iphone, my kids on the ipad, all at the same time. I know it had to do with the app because 1) tried it from a laptop, no-go 2) if I signed in with the laptop it would drop all the other devices, and a reboot of the app was needed.

This was on Oasis, and I know (tried in November, lol) they have fixed the bug in the app/system.

Isn’t this similar to sharing drinks using the drink package?

• Like 1

I remember the good old days when people would talk about sharing drinks openly like when a bank robber takes a selfie, while holding up the bank. Than one day, they took it away from us that really only want, and need one drink package because the spouse does not drink. The bank robber also had their rights taken away.

If you want to do something that is considered stealing, you really should just publically say it so that others will do it, and then BAM!, it will be taken away.

Can we start a thread about rum runners now?

I remember the good old days when people would talk about sharing drinks openly like when a bank robber takes a selfie, while holding up the bank. Than one day, they took it away from us that really only want, and need one drink package because the spouse does not drink. The bank robber also had their rights taken away.

If you want to do something that is considered stealing, you really should just publically say it so that others will do it, and then BAM!, it will be taken away.

Can we start a thread about rum runners now?

I have tried with vain to find a rule that prohibits me doing what I propose and therefore I do not consider it stealing. The package is for one device to connect to the internet which is exactly what will be happening , it says nothing about having other devices connected through that one device.

on your other point I do not drink alcohol and a phone call to RCI was all that was needed to order my wife a drinks package and not me.

I imagine the wanted posters dotted around the ship ... WANTED - PEEWEE14 FOR STEALING INTERNET !

I have tried with vain to find a rule that prohibits me doing what I propose and therefore I do not consider it stealing. The package is for one device to connect to the internet which is exactly what will be happening , it says nothing about having other devices connected through that one device.

on your other point I do not drink alcohol and a phone call to RCI was all that was needed to order my wife a drinks package and not me.

I imagine the wanted posters dotted around the ship ... WANTED - PEEWEE14 FOR STEALING INTERNET !

Sure... keep trying to convince yourself.

drink package sharing, sure that is frowned upon, but wifi sharing, I don't think royal really cares all that much. They let you share the package between people with your login, and technically he would only be using 1 connection to their network. It is not like he is going to be using more bandwidth or slowing down the system by using an extender in his room. Heck I bet if you could even ask for help setting it up and the IT staff would help you lol. Back in the day Royal would shut down a lot of apps on the network to save bandwith, no VPN, no Remote Desktop, no VOIP...but now you can pretty much do whatever you want and they just throttle each connection to their specs

again, no flame, just my opinion

No its not, the router connected, no matter how many devices I connect to it will only use the same bandwidth and amount of "internet" as one device would anyway so I am not taking anything extra for my money. unlike sharing a drinks package which enables you to consume more product for free

Bob,

Really? I did not know this, thanks for the heads up. I leave Sunday on Oasis and I use a VPN to remote into quite a few of my customers, with that in mind I may have to setup other options.

Most likely depends on the VPN type. I've tried PPTP and L2TP/IPSEC and those are now blocked. If you use something based entirely on SSL (port 443), that might work.

No its not, the router connected, no matter how many devices I connect to it will only use the same bandwidth and amount of "internet" as one device would anyway so I am not taking anything extra for my money. unlike sharing a drinks package which enables you to consume more product for free

Keep trying to make excuses. So instead of one shot out of the Vodka bottle your getting two.

It’s still revenue you are taking away from Royal.

I remember all the "justifications" that were posted on why sharing a drink package is not wrong. Like suppose I bought a drink, did not like it, than I give it to my spouse. Bet the person did it 5 times a day, but they "justified" it as a good excuse. So the service is for one device. If you use a system to cloak the one device when you are using multiple devises, it is still going around the rules and what was bought. Justifying it, is basically the same as with drink packages.

I could go on with all the "justifications" made on a drink package. So this is not as big. Not as many people. But you are publically stating you are doing this. Once you do this, and do it publically, and than give out instructions, than the wifi will become more restrictive because of it.

So if you think masking several devises on a package that you bought that clearly states one device is not taking something you did not purchase, because it was not specifically stated in those terms. Maybe in the court system, a lawyer could argue it, but in a normal system, of common sense, you are doing the same thing as sharing something that you did not buy.

I remember all the "justifications" that were posted on why sharing a drink package is not wrong. Like suppose I bought a drink, did not like it, than I give it to my spouse. Bet the person did it 5 times a day, but they "justified" it as a good excuse. So the service is for one device. If you use a system to cloak the one device when you are using multiple devises, it is still going around the rules and what was bought. Justifying it, is basically the same as with drink packages.

I could go on with all the "justifications" made on a drink package. So this is not as big. Not as many people. But you are publically stating you are doing this. Once you do this, and do it publically, and than give out instructions, than the wifi will become more restrictive because of it.

So if you think masking several devises on a package that you bought that clearly states one device is not taking something you did not purchase, because it was not specifically stated in those terms. Maybe in the court system, a lawyer could argue it, but in a normal system, of common sense, you are doing the same thing as sharing something that you did not buy.

No I am not. The bandwidth is still the same bandwidth that one device gets I am getting no more internet than anyone else. The bandwidth and usage for one device will then be split between whatever I connect to the router. I have no need to justify anything unlike sharing drinks packages I am not breaking any rules. The amount of internet I use will be exactly the same.

I am surprised RCI doesn’t employ some of you lot as enforcers as you seem to have nothing else better to do [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Keep trying to make excuses. So instead of one shot out of the Vodka bottle your getting two.

It’s still revenue you are taking away from Royal.

Actually no if you insist on using that analogy I am still getting one shot of vodka but split between 2 glasses. The volume is the same and the amount I am getting

I tried using the hotspot on my iphone. It was blocked by RCI.

Way beyond my techincal ability to work around it.

It was not blocked by RCI. Your phone hotspot is for sharing your cellular internet connection, not your WiFi connection.

Actually no if you insist on using that analogy I am still getting one shot of vodka but split between 2 glasses. The volume is the same and the amount I am getting

Just put him on your annoying list oops I meant Ignore List:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes and no. You will still be limited to the allowed pipe to their system.

So if you are given a 1 megabit per second pipe, if you have 5 devices connected, they share that 1 megabit per second.

The big limitation will be range, as the steel walls will make it not usable beyond a short range from the router.