Router/Wifi extender

It has nothing to do with your technical explanation. The speed test results are not changed by someone else sharing their individual pipe. Your speed test result would be the same if your cabin neighbor was streaming a video on a single device or if he was surfing his phone along with his three kids in the same room connected to a router (which would use the same BW as the single device streaming the video). Again, the speed test change (which I have experienced many times) is simply due to more people being on line at 4PM vs. 3AM. Back to the pipe/water analogy, your water output drops because everyone else is opening their spigot, not because someone has more buckets under their own spigot.

If you put 100 devices on that router (I know its an exaggeration) you are saying that only those 100 slow down and not the greater network?

Their logic (which I disagree with) is that the router is the device...flawed logic.

I agree its flawed logic but that would not be the only device on at the same time. and the rule says 1 device at a time.

2 phone on 1 router is multiple devices at the same time

Using your analogy, Royal charges by the bucket, not the pipe.

Nope, just like land based ISPs, in the internet world, providers like RCI charge by the pipe. Cell providers care a bit about the bucket, but mainly to curb the abusers.

Edited by Biker19

If you put 100 devices on that router (I know its an exaggeration) you are saying that only those 100 slow down and not the greater network?

Yes, thats exactly the point, the connection I pay for, like everyones will be limited if I put a 1000 devices on that one connection I cant pull anymore speed down that one connection than RCI intend for me to have which is why I argue that I am not "stealing" as a result of what I do the devices I connect to the router will run slower than if I bought a 2 device package so I am still only getting what I have paid for. I am just splitting that connection between 2 devices (this is assuming it will work anyway)

At home my max broadband speed is 70MB , no matter how may devices I connect to my home router I cant exceed this figure so 10 devices get 10mb each or 1 device will get the full 70mb. if RCI game us an unlimited download speed then yes fair enough I would be taking more than I am paying for but they are capped.

It has nothing to do with your technical explanation. The speed test results are not changed by someone else sharing their individual pipe. Your speed test result would be the same if your cabin neighbor was streaming a video on a single device or if he was surfing his phone along with his three kids in the same room connected to a router (which would use the same BW as the single device streaming the video). Again, the speed test change (which I have experienced many times) is simply due to more people being on line at 4PM vs. 3AM. Back to the pipe/water analogy, your water output drops because everyone else is opening their spigot, not because someone has more buckets under their own spigot.

Exactly, we agree. The number of devices connected changes the speed. It doesn't matter where those devices are on the data stream. That's why you have routers in the first place. If there were no routers then the ship would only have one connection available. When you add a router you are adding more spigots, not buckets. A spigot dispenses something, a bucket collects it. Another device on the network creates the need for another connection. Each one of those devices has it's own IP address.

Just show me where in the Internet world on RCI that says you have a fixed personal pipe?

Oh well, just google it.

Yes, thats exactly the point, the connection I pay for, like everyones will be limited if I put a 1000 devices on that one connection I cant pull anymore speed down that one connection than RCI intend for me to have which is why I argue that I am not "stealing" as a result of what I do the devices I connect to the router will run slower than if I bought a 2 device package so I am still only getting what I have paid for. I am just splitting that connection between 2 devices (this is assuming it will work anyway)

At home my max broadband speed is 70MB , no matter how may devices I connect to my home router I cant exceed this figure so 10 devices get 10mb each or 1 device will get the full 70mb. if RCI game us an unlimited download speed then yes fair enough I would be taking more than I am paying for but they are capped.

Cute word circus you got going on there.

1 device is 1 device. If you are using a device to split the internet, bypass the 1 device limitation, and allow you to access, at the same time, with more than one device... OF COURSE you are violating the rules.

Just do what you are going to do, but stop pretending like you are not stealing.

Good point. We will bring it up on Presidents Cruise.

Asking a generic question may not yield the right answer - you should ask the specific scenario outlined in this thread - using a router/extender to share a one device package. Also, the answer may depend on who you ask. Some upper level person who doesn't understand the specifics may give a different answer than the head IT person.

The only true part of your statement is your home connection is fixed.

You do not have a fixed data speed connection on RCI. You are not capped at the device level. You are only limited by the wireless router's speed that everyone shares in that area.

It's theft of service because you paid for one device.

Repeating the same baseless argument doesn't make it so.

Biker, who is surprised that we now have a VOOM sharing police on CC.

That's the same thing I said about your baseless argument.

Still waiting for you to show me the fixed data rate connection you get on RCI.

Thanks for the debate Bicker19, have a great day and enjoy all your future cruises.

BTW it's still theft of service. :cool::cool:

Well after googling it seems I have found this, now remember this isn't direct from RCi website it is from another post copying it.

It seems what I plan to do is actually against the rules, however it also seems many other people are breaking the rules as it clearly states you cant allow someone who hasn't paid for the service to access the service through their device or yours, so actually letting someone else use your log in on their device is breaking the rules.

What it doesn't say is specifically that I can connect 3 of my devices through the router, only that I cant allow anyone else to connect, so I guess it now comes down to who owns the device

what do you think ?

Acceptable Use and Conduct

You hereby agree to comply with Cruise Line's acceptable use policy ("Acceptable Use Policy"), as described below. You will not use the Service to (or assist another person to):

8. Allow another person who has not paid for the Service to access or use the Service on his computer or device through your computer or device

Virtually every couple who buys a one device VOOM package breaks this rule.

I would disagree with you on this...from personal experience. DW and I always spend the money and get the two device package. I use my cell phone and iPad but bounce between the two, DW does the same thing. In fact I think that I still remember the password from the last cruise. This upcoming cruise we are going with our friends and we bought the four device package...playing by the rules.

I would disagree with you on this...from personal experience. DW and I always spend the money and get the two device package. I use my cell phone and iPad but bounce between the two, DW does the same thing. In fact I think that I still remember the password from the last cruise. This upcoming cruise we are going with our friends and we bought the four device package...playing by the rules.

not sure what your disagreeing with, he said every couple who buys a one device package, you buy a two device package so it doesn't apply