Galveston cruiser wading in flood water to get to the ship

INCHARGE

Wondering if anyone that was actually there saw how the different port parking lots were? Did any of the vehicles in the lots flood?

Our indoor lot was dry. All lots I saw were not flooded. However, most streets, alleys, etc were flooded.

We saw a handful of stranded/stalled cars. One being pushed.

Outside of the cruise terminal, I saw one police officer at the bridge blocking entry. It was mass confusion with zero direction.

Our indoor lot was dry. All lots I saw were not flooded. However, most streets, alleys, etc were flooded.

We saw a handful of stranded/stalled cars. One being pushed.

Outside of the cruise terminal, I saw one police officer at the bridge blocking entry. It was mass confusion with zero direction.

Thanks for the info! What lot did you use? We are planning to use EZ Cruise. How did you get from your parking lot to the ship, did they shuttle you?

Perhaps the "protocol" Carnival should have enacted is cancelling the incoming shuttles and advising all passengers (via the e-mail and cell phone system) that the ship would NOT be boarding. Horrifically disappointing, ....
And unreasonable given how inconsistent that would be with how major cruise lines handle hurricane weather during hurricane season, last year, the year before, the year before that, etc. including through much worse than what we are seeing today.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Houston and Galveston are two different places. Galveston is an island. As soon as the rain slows or stops, the water drains pretty quickly. The rain wasn't from a tropical storm...there was no storm surge to cause destructive flooding. It was just plan old rain. Had it been me that was trying to get to the boat, I would have called Carnival to ask if boarding would be delayed. It so, I'd hang out for a couple of hours until the water cleared and I could make a better attempt at getting to the port. If not, I may have waded through the water too. :')

Wondering if anyone that was actually there saw how the different port parking lots were? Did any of the vehicles in the lots flood?

I parked at Falstaff and no cars were flooded due to the warehouse/parking structure being elevated, but the streets were so flooded that no one had been able to get their car out by 3pm when I caught a ride out in a pick up truck. Their shuttle had brought us from the terminal back to the garage and the water was so high that the shuttle bus had water covering the 2nd step. I had friends that parked at Port of Galveston lot A and they said some cars in that lot were flooded, but theirs were okay. We drove past 81st Dolphin and they had water in parts of their lot about halfway up the tires of a pickup truck.

If it helps at all, they had Harborside closed from 51st to 25th street due to flooding, if you're trying to gauge it. EZ cruise looks like it's at 28th, a block and a half off of Harborside

Thanks for the info! What lot did you use? We are planning to use EZ Cruise. How did you get from your parking lot to the ship, did they shuttle you?

We parked at Galveston Park N Cruise. I put my water shoes on and walked to the lot then picked up my wife in our car. The water was up to about 2 feet but easily over a foot most of the way. We sat onboard and watched crews move a fire engine and place barricades at Harborside and Rosenberg about 9:30am. I was up at 6:30am that morning and it was pouring rain from then until we got off the island at 11:30ish.

Perhaps in hind sight they should of opened up the other terminal to allow folks time to let the water to recede. It was if Carnival or The city of Galveston had never seen this. Everyone was on their own with zero direction outside of get off and get out of the terminal.

Occasionally a line of tropical thunderstorms swirls in off the gulf, and the path of the storms is that they continue to hammer the same stop as they form and move inland. This is called "Training". This is what happened Sunday morning and caused 7-8" of rain in Chambers and Galveston counties with most of the storms moving right along the coast. When this happens, alot of the old streets in the Strand cannot handle that much water that fast.