Specialty Restaurant – 3rd person? (Chld!)

MIA-CRUISER

We have Specialty Dining Package for 2 and I know we can order multiple Appetizer and desert (even though I don’t eat desert).

Who can tell me how to pay for my little girl who is 10 year old? If we order some appetizer with our Dining package and order only main dish for my daughter, only this main dish will be charged, right?

My daughter is not a big fan of food(really small bite), so if she wants to eat only appetizer, not main dish, this order can be covered with our UDP? So confused, please help!

Officially, no you can’t use your package to buy anything for your daughter. The package covers you only.

However, in practice it is possible that they will allow you to do so, as long as she doesn’t eat very much. We have on a couple of occasions not had any charge for our son because “he didn’t eat enough”.

Personally, I would go expecting her to be charged. Don’t try to sneak anything, and order the apps or things that she will eat for her. Worst case is that you end up with a small bill at the end, but they may decide not to charge you. If you are clearly trying to sneak her food then I think they will look less sympathetically at you.

Obviously this only applies in the a la carte places. Teppenyaki will almost certainly charge and they also will in Moderno unless she clearly doesn’t eat much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

The Specialty Dining Plan is associated with a person, not items ordered. If you stay with the basic 1 app, 1 enteee, 1 dessert, then the wait staff can’t argue with sharing with your DD.

It’s when you order 3 apps and your DD eats one, that there may be an issue.

Option: appetizers are usually reasonably priced. Order an app for her, with the intention of paying cash, share a bit of your main course and dessert with her. The waiters will likely not charge for the app for your DD.

Option: Order a main course for your DD from the complimentary kids menu and give her some of your main course too.

Officially, no you can’t use your package to buy anything for your daughter. The package covers you only.

However, in practice it is poasoble that they will allow you to do so, as long as she doesn’t eat very much. We have on a couple of occasions not had any charge for our son because “he didn’t eat enough”.

Personally, I would go expecting her to be charged. Don’t try to sneak anything, and order the apps or things that she will eat for her. Worst case is that you end up with a small bill at the end, but they may decide not to charge you. If you are clearly trying to sneak her food then I think they will look less sympathetically at you.

Obviously this only applies in the a la carte places. Teppenyaki will almost certainly charge and they also will in Moderno unless she clearly doesn’t eat much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! it helps a lot.

The Specialty Dining Plan is associated with a person, not items ordered. If you stay with the basic 1 app, 1 enteee, 1 dessert, then the wait staff can’t argue with sharing with your DD.

It’s when you order 3 apps and your DD eats one, that there may be an issue.

Option: appetizers are usually reasonably priced. Order an app for her, with the intention of paying cash, share a bit of your main course and dessert with her. The waiters will likely not charge for the app for your DD.

Option: Order a main course for your DD from the complimentary kids menu and give her some of your main course too.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Will order main course or app for her and pay definately. It's our first cruise and I have many questions on even small things. Thanks!

Earlier this year there were three of us eating at Cagney's. For two of us, we either used a Platinum dinner voucher or the dining package. The third person ordered only appetizers. We were not charged for any of the appetizers (even though we expected to be). I think it just depends. It was the second time we had that particular server (by accident -- we didn't request her) so that may have had something to do with it.

Before we realized we are all Platinum on our next cruise, we planned on doing the same thing -- just paying for one of the meals.

The other thing is that your child can order from the kids menu at no charge in all of the specialty restaurants, so that is an option as well.

On our last NCL cruise, our teenage daughter did not have the dining package. She is also a vegetarian. I went to the specialty restaurant earlier in the day, and asked if they could get the veggie meal sent up from the main dining room. There was no problem with this and no fee.

Earlier this year there were three of us eating at Cagney's. For two of us, we either used a Platinum dinner voucher or the dining package. The third person ordered only appetizers. We were not charged for any of the appetizers (even though we expected to be). I think it just depends. It was the second time we had that particular server (by accident -- we didn't request her) so that may have had something to do with it.

Before we realized we are all Platinum on our next cruise, we planned on doing the same thing -- just paying for one of the meals.

The other thing is that your child can order from the kids menu at no charge in all of the specialty restaurants, so that is an option as well.

Thank you!!! Yes, I may order APP for my girl probably, since I never finish mine and my girl is really eating small portion, of course I am expecting to receive bill to pay, no problem!

On the Bliss the servers offered to make things "count" as part of our Specialty Dining Package meals for the kids. We didn't buy packages for them and fully planned to just buy whatever they ordered a la carte. But the servers in each restaurant would offer to say "Ok.. you get xyz so I'll just order this under you and then I'll only need to add a charge for his salmon".... I think each of our 3 meals, we maybe paid for 1 extra item and the other things were worked out somehow.

So I would say just go in expecting to pay for her things, and be pleasantly surprised if they let you count them as part of your package and don't charge you.

Also, if she wants to order off the kids menu, that is all free no matter what. But the kids menu is limited and is the same kids menu everywhere - chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, hot dogs, etc... One night my son got the hot dog from the kids menu, plus an appetizer from the specialty menu, and they counted the appetizer as one of "mine" so it was free.

Google to find examples of the menus as well. I found the a la carte prices to be really reasonable and given that my kids were not going to order an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert anyway, it wouldn't have made sense to buy the package for them even if we paid for everything they ordered.

We have Specialty Dining Package for 2 and I know we can order multiple Appetizer and desert (even though I don’t eat desert).

Who can tell me how to pay for my little girl who is 10 year old? If we order some appetizer with our Dining package and order only main dish for my daughter, only this main dish will be charged, right?

My daughter is not a big fan of food(really small bite), so if she wants to eat only appetizer, not main dish, this order can be covered with our UDP? So confused, please help!

If she is taking up a seat you will have to order and pay for something for her unless she orders off the kids menu. I would guess some wait people might overlook the policy but be prepared to either, have her depend on the kids menu or pay. The only other option is for her to stay in the kids camp while you enjoy dinner.