Trip Report: Silver Wind 2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge, September 8 2018

jpalbny

Hi Jp and Chris

Have a great time. Say goodbye to the Wind for me before she is turned into the expedition fleet. Was hoping to Sail one more time before the drydock.

You will love the boarding via the WW2 war ship...

We have confirmed with MD of Silversea and have it in writing that there are “no plans to alter the cruising status of the Silver Wind until at least all present brochure commitments are fulfilled ie 2020.”.We enquired in writing two months ago as we have 60+ days booked on our favourite Wind in 2019.The rumours are incorrect at least until end of 2020 thank goodness,but they were not ruled out after that date.Hope this info helps those like us who are concerned at losing the Wind from 2021 onwards as a normal small cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the visuals from London and the excellent picture of Chris. Looking super good and fun!!! Keep up the great reporting and sharing from J.P. Sounds like things are going very well.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 211,777 views for this posting.

We have confirmed with MD of Silversea and have it in writing that there are “no plans to alter the cruising status of the Silver Wind until at least all present brochure commitments are fulfilled ie 2020.”.We enquired in writing two months ago as we have 60+ days booked on our favourite Wind in 2019.The rumours are incorrect at least until end of 2020 thank goodness,but they were not ruled out after that date.Hope this info helps those like us who are concerned at losing the Wind from 2021 onwards as a normal small cruise ship.

brimary, thanks so much for confirming this.

Really? Can you post the announcement of the Wind being converted to an expedition ship? I haven’t seen the announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I thought the official announcement was already done. I guess it should be coming soon. It's not a bad thing, just a lot of new ports for her to visit when it gets fitted with Zodiacs.

Sorry, I thought the official announcement was already done. I guess it should be coming soon. It's not a bad thing, just a lot of new ports for her to visit when it gets fitted with Zodiacs.

For the record, I do not believe there has been any announcement that Wind will become an expedition ship or fitted with Zodiacs. As far as I know, this is mere speculation with no basis in fact.

For the record, I do not believe there has been any announcement that Wind will become an expedition ship or fitted with Zodiacs. As far as I know, this is mere speculation with no basis in fact.

For the record, on June 4th 2018 Manfredi announced ......

“After 10 Years, Silversea Expeditions Considers More Ships, Extended Destination Stays”

The company is considering converting Cloud's sister-ship, the 296-passenger Silver Wind, into a dedicated expedition vessel as well but has not announced a decision”
https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=8679

Thanks Observer and UKCruiseJeff. It’s good to know I didn’t miss any official announcement as the Wind conversion is merely a consideration at this point.

For the record, on June 4th 2018 Manfredi announced ......

“After 10 Years, Silversea Expeditions Considers More Ships, Extended Destination Stays”

Hello all from a rocking but restful morning on the North Sea. A partial sea day today which is just what we need after two busy days in Hamburg.

Sunday night we didn't get off the ship until 9:30. So, we missed the official harbor cruises that night, but we made up our own by going with plan C.

I downloaded the HVV app and bought tickets for the public ferries, which run until midnight. We took one from the cruise ship pier over to Landungsbrücken and then walked over to the Elbephilharmonie. From there we caught another ferry back to Landungsbrücken and then switched to the one that delivered us back to the Altona pier. And voila, a night harbor cruise for two, for €12.

Hung out in the bar with the dance trio until midnight then slept like a log. We were up by 7 and ready to go, as we had a full day planned.

We walked from the pier through the Altona Balkon, then through a few nice parks to the Altona train station, where we caught the S-Bahn to the old town. We walked by the Rathaus and a few nice churches, then rode an elevator to the viewing platform of St. Nikolai Church. It was destroyed in WWII and only the spire remains. Nice view of the river and city.

We wandered in and out of narrow streets and canals, making a coffee stop then visited St. Michael's Church for another tower view. Then we ended up at the Großneumarkt and decided to make a lunch stop. Monday was Schnitzel day, and they were all €8.88, so that was what we enjoyed.

After lunch we debated between a history museum, or a harbor tour by day. So we grabbed the S-Bahn back to Landungsbrücken and bought tickets. The tour was just leaving so good timing! It looked very different at night and it covered areas that we hadn't seen yet.

After returning to Landungsbrücken, we walked the Saint Pauli Elbtunnel to the other side of the river. Nice panoramic city views, then we took the tunnel back.

Time to think about getting home, so we debated the ferry vs. the S-Bahn. In the end we did the Bahn back to Altona and walked back to the boat, stopping for more views from the Altona Balkon. So all in all, a successful self-guided tour of Hamburg.

We had a late reservation at LT which was fine after our big lunch. New menu, yummy food, many choices, so I'm glad we have another dinner booked there. Then more dancing in the bar until too late.

Today we rest until 6PM when we arrive in Amsterdam. Then we'll get off the ship immediately and try for a canal cruise before dinner. I have to check the timing. That's my project this morning!

A few cellphone pix. Harbor at night. Old Town and canals. Elbphilharmonie from St. Michael's. Lunch setting in the Großneumarkt. Walking under the Elbe. Landungsbrücken from the opposite side of the Elbe.20180910_152101.thumb.jpg.15561207a1c37708d3ecc1a811b6f1aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

20180909_223059.thumb.jpg.18a74cf1b80e04137ba8f96c44b7e9c4.jpg

20180910_085845.thumb.jpg.b09d1ea33951e06c25ffa241c223b68e.jpg

20180910_112207.thumb.jpg.ca0801e6067ab77a87c05fb019f3dc94.jpg

20180910_120552.thumb.jpg.39d94671337361963c45d807c3a8be85.jpg

20180910_150532.thumb.jpg.5582e17f21c5913a08350a488d5abcad.jpg

Hi JP

Good to see you aren't wasting a moment. Great to see Chris sans lunettes.

May not be your cup of tea, but I have taken extended family for a day trip to Amsterdam just for a rijstaffel and you are already there. :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rijsttafel+in+amsterdam&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiupOXzzbLdAhXIDMAKHXdhAdEQ_AUICigB&biw=2293&bih=797

impressive waves. George would love that.

One of our best friends here in Tulsa is Dutch and makes us a rijstaffel dinner every year when his daughter visits from the Netherlands. Very special treat, which I like more than George as he is not as adventuresome as far as eating as I am.

impressive waves. George would love that.

One of our best friends here in Tulsa is Dutch and makes us a rijstaffel dinner every year when his daughter visits from the Netherlands. Very special treat, which I like more than George as he is not as adventuresome as far as eating as I am.

:eek: How many dishes?

:eek: How many dishes?

Many--covers the whole center island in their kitchen which is very large--at least 20-25. Lots are little plates of things that I don't know. But he always has this delicious peanut sauce, really good cucumbers, and some very spicy stuff and multiple varieties of rice preparation. His grandfather was a missionary in Indonesia. In fact, his grandfather and father were POWs in a Japanese prison camp during WWII. His grandfather died, but his dad obviously survived.

We left Amsterdam 2 hours ago after an overnight stay. Now in the locks getting ready for the North Sea.

We got in about 5:30 last night and made a beeline to Centraal Station to pick up iAmsterdam cards. Then we went for a canal cruise. A most enjoyable hour! Followed by a little walking to knock a few sights off our hit list, and then a tram back to the boat.

Last night was an additional formal night not listed on the website. We'd been invited to sit with the ship's doctor but had to decline as we didn't think we'd be back from the canal cruise in time. So we had a table for two when we got back at 8:30. Good thing we hadn't tried to make a 7:45 dinner invite.

The usual drinks and dancing in the bar followed dinner, then time for a good snooze.

We were up by 7:15 today and grabbed a cappuccino in the lounge as usual. We headed to the tram stop right across from the ship, to catch the tram from the ship to Centraal Station, and saw that it was going to be way late. So we walked instead. Of course, it was spitting rain so the walk wasn't much fun.

Found the tram to Dam Square and then walked to the Anne Frank house. What a sobering visit. Anyone who thinks that people should be persecuted for their differences needs to visit. If a visit there doesn't move you, I'm not sure what would.

From there we went next door to the Westerkirch and did a tower climb to clear our heads. Nice tour with a charming guide and good views despite the intermittent rain drops. I'm finally getting the lay of the land.

We walked a bit further along the canals to the canal museum, then caught the tram back north for the hidden church museum. This was fascinating. A man connected the attics of three adjacent homes to build a massive Catholic church. They had to worship there in secret. Some theme...

We walked to the Waag which had been undergoing restoration work last visit - now all done and looking good. Then a few towers that were part of the original city wall. Nothing to climb through.

We had about an hour left so we grabbed a tram to another tower, then Rembrandtplein, and lastly we stopped for pix of the narrowest bridge in Amsterdam. It had finally stopped raining but it was still gray and ugly out.

And that was all we had time for. A quick metro ride back to Centraal Station, then the tram to the boat (running right on time now), and back on board by 3. A half hour before all-aboard. We are slipping!

No lunch so we had burgers at the grill, then a restful afternoon watching the scenery along the canal. Dinner at Hot Rocks tonight!

Pix: Westerkirche, canal houses, Silver Wind at the pier (all from the canal tour), iconic Amsterdam view of a canal and a tourist, the Waag, and Rembrandtplein.20180912_142050.thumb.jpg.d0f5fa49ccf8f16f2a8256b8e1d7d5d1.jpg

20180911_182603.thumb.jpg.744cd0add324d2af7e764097cc7f1082.jpg

20180911_183153.thumb.jpg.f2cfdb705663c1f483d61931e72fa58e.jpg

20180911_190508.thumb.jpg.9386f11b61415d782f48d918f7d9f4d2.jpg

20180911_192827.thumb.jpg.30acb3484b3dc5a2b3c201914646d4b8.jpg

20180912_133308.thumb.jpg.abdd2f2c48a935c3f8761c4277819ab7.jpg

Anyone who thinks that people should be persecuted for their differences needs to visit. If a visit there doesn't move you, I'm not sure what would.
Totally Agree!

Thx for sharing your trip with us JP. We love Amsterdam and especially its Rijksmuseum.

Now in Antwerp waiting for clearance. Still no JP and Chris sightings..must be that they move too fast! Certainly am loving their posts. While they were climbing towers, I went on a Rikesmuseum tour. Many of you will know what an overwhelming experience it is to be surrounded by the monumental collection of Rembrandt masterpieces. I can still feel the glow of his paintings’ streams of light and his use of gorgeous red. We had a guide who is a painter and she gave an impassioned, informative tour.

I’m going to walk around town this morning and then my friend and I will take the SS tour to Brussels. I’ve always wanted to see this city, and I now i’ll have the chance for a very brief overview. Better than nothing.

There appears to be a new policy concerning dinner in La Terrasse. Where it used to be about half filled..intentionally..it’s now fully booked. This has meant some very slow service and stressed waiters....all trying their best of course. I wonder why this new policy was initiated.

Trivia, with the irrepressible Colin, has been a highlight. Yesterday we took a humiliating fall from being winners to a score so low it was mortifying.

I may have been looking in the wrong directions, but the HD, pleasant at a superficial introduction, has been notably not in evidence. I’m so used to Norman, Paolo and Martin walking around, greeting us and asking how we were enjoying the ship, the ports, the cruise in general. I miss this above and beyond personal attention...to every passenger, I must add.

Off for a jaunt around Antwerp!

Enjoy Antwerp, Pashmina! We were among the first few to get off the ship (an hour late...grr) and we walked as fast as we could to the train station. We were going to get the 10:06 to Bruges but with the late arrival, we made the 10:37 with one minute to spare! Cutting it close.

Resting our tired legs on the train now until we change in Ghent. After we finish with Bruges we'll probably have a more leisurely stroll through Antwerp before coming back to the ship.

We visited Brussels in January for Chris's Birthday and enjoyed it very much. Have fun and we hope to run into you one of these days...maybe on the sea day tomorrow? At least you know that we will be on the ship then. :D