Passenger evacuated from Carnival Horizon

marynjohn

I watched the sailaway on the NY Port and Harbor cams, and then saw the brief local tv news coverage. One thing they need to address for those situation's is a better way to do those medevacs, when time is of the essence. I overheard them on the marine scanner having to change from one tender ramp to another, account difficulty getting the patient thru some passage or other.

With all the frequent safety drills they perform regularly, you would think that they would have this down pat, somehow.

And perhaps some kind of hoist to easily lower them from the hatchway down to the waiting rescue boat, rather than carrying a gurney down that steep stairway to the tender platform...

I watched the sailaway on the NY Port and Harbor cams, and then saw the brief local tv news coverage. One thing they need to address for those situation's is a better way to do those medevacs, when time is of the essence. I overheard them on the marine scanner having to change from one tender ramp to another, account difficulty getting the patient thru some passage or other.

With all the frequent safety drills they perform regularly, you would think that they would have this down pat, somehow.

And perhaps some kind of hoist to easily lower them from the hatchway down to the waiting rescue boat, rather than carrying a gurney down that steep stairway to the tender platform...

I don't want to sound insensitive, and I saw news coverage of the ship stopped but didn't see the actual transfer, but that sounds like one of two scenarios:

One, the medical department didn't communicate with the deck department as to how the patient was "packaged", meaning how much stuff was attached (IV drip, EKG, whatever) that needed to get moved with the patient, so the choice of tender ports was not an "informed" one.

Two, the size of the patient again may not have been communicated properly. The crew train with sand bags in Stokes baskets and foldable stretchers on even the steepest ladders like the engine room, but we have experienced difficulties when a patient does not fit into Stokes baskets, or exceeds the weight limitations of various transport devices, and that also places the crew in harms way when trying to carry an oversize stretcher case down a ladder, having to hold it above the railings.

Was it a gurney that was transferred, or was it a Stokes basket? I'd be real surprised if it were a gurney, unless there were very special circumstances with the patient or the patient's care.

As for having a hoist, this gets into a whole new avenue, as the lift would have to be certified for personnel transfer, and tested annually for this, and the operator would have to be certified for personnel transfer, which could slow the whole thing down depending on time of day and the few (one?) certified operator's work schedule.

I don't want to sound insensitive, and I saw news coverage of the ship stopped but didn't see the actual transfer, but that sounds like one of two scenarios:

One, the medical department didn't communicate with the deck department as to how the patient was "packaged", meaning how much stuff was attached (IV drip, EKG, whatever) that needed to get moved with the patient, so the choice of tender ports was not an "informed" one.

Two, the size of the patient again may not have been communicated properly. The crew train with sand bags in Stokes baskets and foldable stretchers on even the steepest ladders like the engine room, but we have experienced difficulties when a patient does not fit into Stokes baskets, or exceeds the weight limitations of various transport devices, and that also places the crew in harms way when trying to carry an oversize stretcher case down a ladder, having to hold it above the railings.

Was it a gurney that was transferred, or was it a Stokes basket? I'd be real surprised if it were a gurney, unless there were very special circumstances with the patient or the patient's care.

As for having a hoist, this gets into a whole new avenue, as the lift would have to be certified for personnel transfer, and tested annually for this, and the operator would have to be certified for personnel transfer, which could slow the whole thing down depending on time of day and the few (one?) certified operator's work schedule.

Here's a video of it....