Rumours again....

ohnonotmeagain

We’ve found, particularly on RCI on a sea day, that in order to get the waiter to come back to you on deck that a dollar or two helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe on RCI, but this is a P&O board.

On P&O I have never had any trouble in getting service. Sometimes the exact opposite.

Yes I’m aware of that - as the drinks package is new to P&O I’m sharing my experience on another line

Is that why we are talking about $’s why would you use them on P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is that why we are talking about $’s why would you use them on P&O.

It’s not about the cruise line or the currency

I was answering ONT-CA when it was noted that once packages were introduced it was difficult to get served

It’s not about the cruise line or the currency

I was answering ONT-CA when it was noted that once packages were introduced it was difficult to get served

Yes I have heard more than once that service goes down when there are a lot of people with a drinks package. It was considerably worse when included in a deal and lots had it.

Certainly a path not to go down as it leads to conflict and bad service.

With the drinks package pitched high it should avoid some of the problems.

Yes I have heard more than once that service goes down when there are a lot of people with a drinks package. It was considerably worse when included in a deal and lots had it.

Certainly a path not to go down as it leads to conflict and bad service.

With the drinks package pitched high it should avoid some of the problems.

What RC do is offer a free!!! Drinks package and up the cruise price by around £500 per couple per week.

They cut right back on waiter service staff and you had to queue at every bar to get your own drinks.

The worry would be if P&O offer a similar free!! Drinks package the same could happen here.

A drinks package adds to the potential marketing offers.

Make out its free and people think its a bargain, even though more than the cost of the package will be added to the cruise cost.

In the UK we forget wholesale duty free alcohol is very cheap. Anyone can buy 100% 10 year old single malt whisky for £12 a litre, bottled.

It only becomes £50+ a litre when duty and VAT is added.

None of these apply to cruise ships, with discount they will pay less than £12. Two measures sold and the bottle cost is covered.

Gin, vodka and blended whisky is even cheaper.

With the loss of the $1 and $2 notes we are left with coins which we are told by staff are useless. So we use the American one not as a "bribe" but as a thank you if and only when service warrants it. We have ventured to the bar in the past and if not seated there are told that the waiter will be with us momentarily. With drink packages there is no incentive to increase service numbers as the unserved drinks are already paid for. It is the cash sales that suffer.

Why are the coins useless to them ? Just curious as we always give £1 or £2 when we get room service. No point if they are no good to them.

Why are the coins useless to them ? Just curious as we always give £1 or £2 when we get room service. No point if they are no good to them.

And if that is the case I can't see people giving £5 notes as a tip/bribe.

The smallest note is £5 or $5 not $1 like on RC.

I give £2 coins to room service and they are happy.

The crew do spend £ onboard in the crew bar or € and £ when they get ashore.

Being Canadian I hope we are not confusing anyone with the reference to coins. As suggested, coins may be used by the staff for onboard purchases but their main objective is to get their income home to their families. We are told that the wire process for doing this will not accept coins, just as any of our financial institutions will not accept those foreign coins that we happen to bring home with us. Paper currency whether US, British or Canadian is the accepted currency for transfer. So as we have no Canadian one dollar notes, we use the US green back although for larger tipping requirements we use our Canadian currency. Undoubtedly there may be limited means of converting coins to paper aboard or on shore but we feel why aggravate the situation.

We maintain that once passengers purchase a drink package they will understandably and fairly want to take full advantage of it before the end of the cruise. It is much like on board credits that must be spent or you will lose them. And the more expensive the alcohol package the more important it is to take full advantage, especially in consumption exceeding the value of the package. This demands service and certainly more service than when running a cash bar.

Is it in the interest of the line to see that everyone gets full value for their package? I think not. The profits made on paid for but unconsumed drinks far exceed the secondary cash bar that I use. Service does suffer. We have been on a cruise whereby the drink package was included in the fare and it resulted in sheer bedlam. Be careful for what you wish.

Note to Thejuggler: As you and I are both aware, the line could make a cocktail and sell it for £1 and still make a profit

And if that is the case I can't see people giving £5 notes as a tip/bribe.

I don’t know why you refer to tips as ‘bribes’ - it has a menacing undertone imo. If you’re served a drink and offer a small $ tip in order to receive ‘attentive’ service thereafter, why is that a bribe?

Can I remind you of the meaning?

‘to dishonestly persuade (someone) to act in one's favour by a gift of money or other inducement’

I don’t know why you refer to tips as ‘bribes’ - it has a menacing undertone imo. If you’re served a drink and offer a small $ tip in order to receive ‘attentive’ service thereafter, why is that a bribe?

Can I remind you of the meaning?

‘to dishonestly persuade (someone) to act in one's favour by a gift of money or other inducement’

Yes exactly. Giving somebody financial inducement to give you better service than other passengers is a bribe.

As you use the $ sign instead of the £ sign I'm assuming you are from the USA or Canada. Over here paying somebody before receiving a service in the hope of preferential treatment, while not, in the strictest sense of the word, dishonest, is seen as bribery.

Yes exactly. Giving somebody financial inducement to give you better service than other passengers is a bribe.

As you use the $ sign instead of the £ sign I'm assuming you are from the USA or Canada. Over here paying somebody before receiving a service in the hope of preferential treatment, while not, in the strictest sense of the word, dishonest, is seen as bribery.

Wrong on both counts.

While both a bribe and a tip involve a promise to pay in exchange for service, a bribe by definition involves an inducement to perform an illegal or dishonest act. This is an element which is absent from the act of granting a tip. Furthermore, a bribe is usually of a considerable value, while a tip is of a nominal amount.

Wrong on both counts.

While both a bribe and a tip involve a promise to pay in exchange for service, a bribe by definition involves an inducement to perform an illegal or dishonest act. This is an element which is absent from the act of granting a tip. Furthermore, a bribe is usually of a considerable value, while a tip is of a nominal amount.

Favouring one passenger over another because of financial inducement, the amount is irrelevant, is dishonest.

A tip is paid afterwards as a thanks for good service, a bribe is paid first To Ensure Service.

Anyway P&O have made it very obvious in their literature that once the daily service charge is removed tipping is neither expected or required.

Favouring one passenger over another because of financial inducement, the amount is irrelevant, is dishonest.

A tip is paid afterwards as a thanks for good service, a bribe is paid first To Ensure Service.

Anyway P&O have made it very obvious in their literature that once the daily service charge is removed tipping is neither expected or required.

There is nothing ‘dishonest’ about tipping. If a server receives a tip from me on delivery of a drink and then, because of the tip, returns to see if I need further service that benefits us both and shouldn’t impact on the service received by others.

I can’t be responsible for everyone else on board and their tipping arrangements nor should I.

There is nothing ‘dishonest’ about tipping. If a server receives a tip from me on delivery of a drink and then, because of the tip, returns to see if I need further service that benefits us both and shouldn’t impact on the service received by others.

I can’t be responsible for everyone else on board and their tipping arrangements nor should I.

I agree.

Unless the cruiselines totally ban tipping there is no reason why someone can't show their gratitude by giving the waiter who carries your drinks to where you are sitting a tip.

I often do but certainly not for any perceived preferential service on my part.

Is it not customary in the UK that, at times when ordering a pint, to tell the bar person to have one themself? I see this as a thank you and not a bribe. It is impractical to do something similar aboard, so a simple occasional financial tip conveys the same thanks. But I am not naive in realizing that bar service is generally offered to the area of best return.

Is it not customary in the UK that, at times when ordering a pint, to tell the bar person to have one themself? I see this as a thank you and not a bribe. It is impractical to do something similar aboard, so a simple occasional financial tip conveys the same thanks. But I am not naive in realizing that bar service is generally offered to the area of best return.
Tipping in the UK is widespread it's just most of us don't make a big deal of leaving a tip.

No, it is not customary. Only in TV programmes from the 70s, Christmas maybe, and in the pub which you regard as your local and frequent several times a week.

Yes. "Flashing the cash" is very much frowned upon and seen with suspicion.
When you pay by card in lots of restaurants the card machine says Gratuity Yes or No.

I click no and give the waiter cash.

I know plenty of restaurant mangers and waiters and tipping is expected and appreciated

When you pay by card in lots of restaurants the card machine says Gratuity Yes or No.

I click no and give the waiter cash.

I know plenty of restaurant mangers and waiters and tipping is expected and appreciated

Yes I do to.

But that is afterwards. Not before the meal in expectation of better service. And not if a service charge is already levied.

Yes I do to.

But that is afterwards. Not before the meal:') in expectation of better service. And not if a service charge is already levied.

I agree it should always be as a result of good service.

I know some restaurants charge a service fee which can be retracted but people rarely do out of embarrassment.

Yes it is customary, in a pub where you drink regularly or where you have spent the evening and have bought several drinks, to ask ‘have one yourself’.