Passing other cruise ships at sea

JaiJae

The captain did announce that the Splendor was passing us in Glacier Bay but did not announce the Princess ship passing us. I just happened to be out on the balcony when it passed us. Like many others have said, it is very easy to spot other cruise ships at night by their lights.

We were on Legend with you for this cruise. Did you notice the captain of Splendor sounded the horn but Legend’s Captain did not? The staff captain told us that horns were not supposed to be sounded near the glaciers. Risk of landslides. Or glacier slide :o

Probably the best case of "seeing" another ship, was when I sailed the final 'Winter Crossing" of the old QE2 in January of 2008, from Southampton to New York. We sailed "in tandem" with the then brand new Queen Victoria, making her maiden transatlantic voyage to New York. One day she was on our port side, the next day on our starboard, to enable everyone with a balcony or window to get a view. And when we finally reached Lower New York Bay, we fell in line with the Queen Mary 2, for a Cunard "Three Queen's" convoy under the Verrazzano Bridge. :cool:

On one of our cruises, we were on the Lido having breakfast. There was another Carnival ship off in the distance. One of the workers was standing by the window looking over at it. I ask him which ship it was. He told me the name and said that his girlfriend was a worker on that ship. I guess their relationship was just two ships passing in the night. (Even though it was morning.)

While ships normally pass pretty far apart at sea, on my first Carnival cruise back in 2012 that was not the case.

It was late on the last night of the cruise and we were south of Key West returning to Miami from Cozumel on the Imagination. I was up on Lido Deck hanging out with a few other guys when we saw something bright on the other side of the ship. We ran across the deck and saw another, larger Carnival ship passing by no more than 700-800 feet away. We were just about the last people awake at that hour (the ship had sailed 70% full, so it had been quiet at night and for much of the cruise) and we felt privileged to be among the few who were awake to see the close pass. Neither ship blew its horn -- it was well after 1 am, after all -- but it was really special. I pretty much "made" that cruise for me.

The passing in Glacier Bay NP happens every day as two cruise ships are allowed in. The standard route has the first ship heading back south after a morning at Margerie glacier while the second ship proceeds north. The exchange occurs near Russell Island at the base of the Tarr inlet.

I've been on three cruises the past several year (6 I think) and I've seen several other ships, not just cruise ships. One of them it seemed we followed, passed, got passed, re-passed the same ship. It was in three of the same Carribean ports. Of course I think there is only one photo I have of it.

1b6438d0bd53c13de795418a06f57dff.jpg

e52cad0d3c7716e5787ac70703f103f0.jpg

18e10e46c7dba96c988d6a2ab6443161.jpg

922a1be8c806b952b059dd383b59c83e.jpg

b70d52a26842dc4ff309b17d1b91c12d.jpg

Edited by VictorWI

I would love to see and take pics of other cruise ships while at sea. I’ve been on 3 cruises and I’ve never seen other ships. Is there a way to find out when and where other cruise ships will be at sea when we sail?

Jae[emoji624]

We have seen other ships on a few of our cruises. However, they are really far away.