Formal/Elegant dining attire

stauncie

A dress shirt and tie without a jacket makes you look like an 18 year old out on his first job interview. Bring a jacket, it doesn't take up anymore room than a pair of shorts if folded properly.

Or you can just not wear a tie and wear an open collar shirt.

Some men don't own sport coats or suits. My husband does own a sports coat, but we were trying to not take clothes that weren't needed. He looked great in his dress chinos, long sleeve dress shirt, and his dress shoes. I wore a dress one night and dressy black pants with a fancier long sleeve top.

I agree with the tie and no jacket combo. I had asked this question on the HAL board. lol

When you cruise to Alaska and you are from the tropics you tend to pack many more layers and extra shoes.

Some men don't own sport coats or suits. My husband does own a sports coat, but we were trying to not take clothes that weren't needed. He looked great in his dress chinos, long sleeve dress shirt, and his dress shoes. I wore a dress one night and dressy black pants with a fancier long sleeve top.

I agree with the tie and no jacket combo. I had asked this question on the HAL board. lol

When you cruise to Alaska and you are from the tropics you tend to pack many more layers and extra shoes.

If you are attempting to travel light and not check bags on a flight then even dress chinos, a dress shirt and dress shoes become expendable. It's not worth the extra weight and space just to be fashionable.

If you are attempting to travel light and not check bags on a flight then even dress chinos, a dress shirt and dress shoes become expendable. It's not worth the extra weight and space just to be fashionable.

This thread is about “Formal/Elegant Dining Attire”; if you don’t consider bringing good chinos and a collared shirt on topic, and plan to live in the jeans you travel in, you are missing the point.

This thread is about “Formal/Elegant Dining Attire”; if you don’t consider bringing good chinos and a collared shirt on topic, and plan to live in the jeans you travel in, you are missing the point.

No, what this thread is about is the enforcement of dress codes on formal nights and whether the OP will feel under dressed without a jacket on Celebrity. He won't on Celebrity and most other lines. No jacket required. Dress pants, dress shirts and dress shoes are also optional.

How strictly enforced is the requirement that men wear a jacket to the main dining room on formal/elegant dining nights? Will I feel under dressed if I am only wearing a dress shirt and tie? Thank you in advance for any/all advice and my apologies if this question has all ready been asked and answered. Oh, also I am cruising on Carnival.

My husband wears a light weight crew neck sweater under a sport coat with khakis. No muss, no fuss, no tie!

He wears that in the Caribbean, too? Antardctica, sure, , even sometimes in Alaska but San juan? ;Yikes !!!

My husband wears a light weight crew neck sweater under a sport coat with khakis. No muss, no fuss, no tie!
He wears that in the Caribbean, too? Antarctica, sure, , even sometimes in Alaska but San Juan? ;Yikes !!!

No, what this thread is about is the enforcement of dress codes on formal nights and whether the OP will feel under dressed without a jacket on Celebrity. He won't on Celebrity and most other lines. No jacket required. Dress pants, dress shirts and dress shoes are also optional.

Actually, OP was asking about how to comply with suggested dress code, not how to ignore it.

Actually, OP was asking about how to comply with suggested dress code, not how to ignore it.

If the intention is to comply with anything there is no need to ask how strictly it is enforced. You simply comply with what is written. It is however a very good question to ascertain the consequences of ignoring the written standard which in this instance fall somewhere between zero and inconsequential.

Actually the OP was asking about Carnival, not Celebrity. Carnival does not require a jacket or tie in their dress code on Elegant night so no need for the OP to worry about them enforcing a dress code that does not exist on their ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the intention is to comply with anything there is no need to ask how strictly it is enforced. You simply comply with what is written. It is however a very good question to ascertain the consequences of ignoring the written standard which in this instance fall somewhere between zero and inconsequential.
Bazinga-Sticker-Vinyl-Decal-Big-Bang-Theory-Sheldon-Cooper-Funny-window-sticker-14x7cm.jpg_220x220.jpg

Actually the OP was asking about Carnival, not Celebrity. Carnival does not require a jacket or tie in their dress code on Elegant night so no need for the OP to worry about them enforcing a dress code that does not exist on their ship.

Thanks. One line easily blends with the other. Carnival is even less pre-occupied with fancy dress on their "special" nights.

For once I agree with CB. As another poster said in another thread a while ago a shirt with no jacket and only a tie makes a grown man look like the ass't manager at K-Mart. The tie/shirt combo would probably be OK for a young boy or early teen. JMO. :)

Seconded! A tie with no jacket is not a great look; while jacket but no tie is increasingly seen at upscale urban restaurants —- and makes sense for me personally as I always wear a blazer traveling - the pockets are great for documents, etc. and you have it if you feel like dressing up a bit as a courtesy to your wife —- without taking luggage space.

The male students at our children's high school and middle school are required to wear dress shirt and tie (but not jacket). Maybe it's because they are teens, but I think they look very sharp in their chapel dress - I will concede that short sleeves with tie looks odd/manager/car salesman. My husband used to wear long sleeve shirt with tie and jacket, but he'd have it off for dinner and I'd usually take it for the theatre since I was cold and he was warm. He still looked fine to me w/o the sport coat.

On our last cruise my husband left the sport coat at home and wore polo shirts with dress pants. This will probably be his go to from now on unless it's a very special occasion. He wants me to be happy and is willing to dress up, but I want him to be comfortable and am fine saving the space for snorkeling equipment;)

We have cruised Carnival for years and for our last three cruises we have not even packed any slacks for the husband. He wears nice pressed jeans and a nice button up shirt (tucked in with a belt) and no tie. I think as long as you don't try to go to "elegant" night in a swim suit or shorts your probably ok!

It is clear that a substantial number - if not a significant majority - of cruise passengers have no interest in dressing for dinner, and the lines are reasonably not trying to change that attitude; but it seems silly to continue referring to such an evening as an “elegant night” - there is no point in diluting the language.