Guaranteed cabin

KazLP

I have a simple view on this. People who pay to select their cabins will pick the best located cabin in any given category. Therefore, by default the cabins that are left as guarantees will be those cabins that no one paid extra to select. Think cabins under the pool area, next to cabin service areas, close to the laundry, next to unspecified white spaces etc etc. And don’t think that an upgrade will mean a better cabin either. The only time that I book a guarantee is if it is the top balcony cabin grade, with no cabins poorly located and the only upgrade possibility is to a suite...

Indeed. I booked QUEEN VICTORIA for next 6 September to the Mediterranean (one Cunard's total of three cruises to the whole region in 2019) and was "lucky" to get a P2 guarantee. But not wanting those two P2s all the way forward on 5 Deck or one of the accessible cabins, I kept looking at their website to see if a "real" cabin came up. Today, sure enough, a confirmed 5 Deck cabin became available and I called them to grab it. It's interesting they didn't assign that to me first off indicating these "guarantees" are indeed assigned last minute. And if location means something, I'd take a confirmed cabin over a guarantee any day.

BTW, maybe Cunard will look at the bookings... a year out.... for the Med and appreciate that they are making a big mistake cutting back their offerings to this region to the extent they have.

We booked a BV cabin (which I believe is mid-ship), through a (UK) travel agent, but our personalised travel itinerary page on Cunard's website doesn't specify the category yet - hopefully that doesn't mean we'll end up with a downgrade....!

We've also noticed that the TA is sold out except inside cabins. This trip will be our honeymoon, so fingers crossed our travel agent will be correct - that we'll at least have a BV cabin or perhaps another balcony type cabin, does anyone know from experience?

I'm sure it'll be fine, but these things go round and round in your head when you're not sure what to expect and when it's a special occasion! [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Forums mobile app

We booked a BV cabin (which I believe is mid-ship), through a (UK) travel agent, but our personalised travel itinerary page on Cunard's website doesn't specify the category yet - hopefully that doesn't mean we'll end up with a downgrade....!

We've also noticed that the TA is sold out except inside cabins. This trip will be our honeymoon, so fingers crossed our travel agent will be correct - that we'll at least have a BV cabin or perhaps another balcony type cabin, does anyone know from experience?

I'm sure it'll be fine, but these things go round and round in your head when you're not sure what to expect and when it's a special occasion! [emoji23]

Cunard tells us, that you will at a minimum get a cabin in the grade you booked. So not to worry.

I have a simple view on this. People who pay to select their cabins will pick the best located cabin in any given category. Therefore, by default the cabins that are left as guarantees will be those cabins that no one paid extra to select. Think cabins under the pool area, next to cabin service areas, close to the laundry, next to unspecified white spaces etc etc. And don’t think that an upgrade will mean a better cabin either. The only time that I book a guarantee is if it is the top balcony cabin grade, with no cabins poorly located and the only upgrade possibility is to a suite...

We booked Ocean View Cunard fare on QM2 earlier this year. I selected the cabin that we wanted. 4 days before we sailed I received an updated invoice from Cunard stating we were now upgraded to a sheltered balcony. It was fantastic and we loved the upgrade. I'm not sure I can agree with you Bedruthan. Cunard have their own algorithm.

We too have a guaranteed p2..sailing on QM2 nov 25th, first time trying a guarantee, as all cabins are to the front.. picking one did not make much difference to us...will be interesting to see where we end up.,category shows sold out at this time...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got our assignment today ..got a P1 midship

I’ve always been very specific about choosing my cabin and put a lot of research into it.

But we are sailing Q.V. to th Fjords next year and when booking the early saver fares were fantastic.

We’ve booked an obstructed view balcony cabin grade and saved over £400pp put that with the £100pp comp we had from Cunard from our QM2 last year, we’ve got a great deal.

I’ve checked every single possible cabin in the grade we’ve booked the guarantee and I’d be fine with any of them.

Heck I’m going to the Fjords and can sit on a balcony,

The only thing I don’t understand is; how does it work with your luggage and labels if you don’t get allocated until check in?

My guarantee wasn't allocated when the pre-cruise book was sent out, so they sent it without the luggage labels at the back. We got our allocation a few weeks later so I didn't have that experience, but I'm told that they can look it up and hand-write tags for you.

If you book a guarantee and you have not been assigned a cabin before the voyage books are sent, you will get one with no labels. You will be able to print as many as you need later from the voyage personalizer. It's a bit tricky getting them folded, but when you have attached them to your luggage they are pretty durable. If you get further upgraded after you have printed the labels, the bags will magically appear in your cabin.

Just got my own assignment.

Only two weeks before sailing.

Q5 as booked.

Rather late this time. I am happy with it of course there are no really bad Q5's.

Transatlantic from Hamburg QM2.

Edited by s.s.France
Error

We got our assignment today - sheltered balcony on deck 4, towards the aft section, near a small bank of lifts (4156).

We thought we were getting an obstructed view on deck 8; my husband is concerned that we have been offered a sort of down-grade, as he'd have preferred an obstructed - what is everyone's preference, obstructed or sheltered? Is it worth us calling our travel agent to get some advice?

Can you tell we're new to this?? [emoji23]

We got our assignment today - sheltered balcony on deck 4, towards the aft section, near a small bank of lifts (4156).

We thought we were getting an obstructed view on deck 8; my husband is concerned that we have been offered a sort of down-grade, as he'd have preferred an obstructed - what is everyone's preference, obstructed or sheltered? Is it worth us calling our travel agent to get some advice?

The same thing happened to us a few cruises ago, we booked a room on deck 8 with a little bit of a view, but noted we would take an upgrade..ended up on deck 4, technically sheltered balcony is in a higher category than instructed view on deck 8

in the end we paid more and got a better room but we have had sheltered a few times, it is ok as you have a full view, but only when standing, and I found the room slightly darker than a room with a glass balcony

find it interesting that deck 4 is not an option when you book, I think it is reserved to move people around.

First point is: why is everyone so fixated on Travel Agents ... if you have questions about your booking CALL CUNARD!!

For straightforward bookings, travel agents add little or no value that you couldn't do for yourself, and any information they provide will be second-hand or conjecture. It is so easy to go directly to the hose's mouth (Cunard), who provide much more authoritative and informed answers.

Second: if you track availability yourself starting about six/seven months prior to your desired dates you likely could have booked a full balcony for about the price of an inside cabin, as I did for my Aug/Sept return crossing in 12-001.

Third: you are sailing in November, when it is certain to be cold and likely to be rough, so it seems unlikely that you will be spending much time on an open balcony anyway. Most reports of sheltered balconies sound positive, so I'm sure you will find it acceptable.

Hope it works out well for you.

PJ

For straightforward bookings, travel agents add little or no value that you couldn't do for yourself, and any information they provide will be second-hand or conjecture. It is so easy to go directly to the hose's mouth (Cunard), who provide much more authoritative and informed answers.
My travel agent saves me several hundred dollars per booking. But if you're using a travel agent all communications with Cunard go through the TA.

For years I booked directly with Cunard, and had wonderful service from a very competent caring cruise consultant. Then she left. Her replacement was one of those persons who was working that job til her next one came along. It would take three or four calls to get her to call back. Then I found a very competent, attentive Travel Agent, and I have used her since then. She is well connected with Cunard and can do things that their own staff seem unable or unwilling to do. She takes care of every thing I need.

I definitely prefer the obstructed view cabins on Deck 8 over the sheltered balconies. They are much brighter because the most of the wall is glass instead of just a door like on the sheltered balconies. Also the sheltered balconies have more width so not much sun makes it through them into the cabin. Also Deck 8 is probably the best location on the ship IMO. Central to everything. You can even do a little homework and pick an obstructed view cabin with minimal obstruction. Some are better than others.

Lastly the lifeboats are not get right against the balconies like they would be on many other ships. They are set a pretty good distance from the balcony, which means you can see underneath them to the promenade deck and ocean, and also over them to the sky. In the right location you can even have a direct view right between them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We got our cabin assigned sometime after 10am this morning, 24 hours before sailing, a P2 guarantee, what did we get? One of the 2 disabled P2's in the bow of the ship. So be warned, you might draw the short straw! Not be doing that again if we decide to book another Cunard cruise!

This is very true - don't expect or even hope for your wishes to be granted. I booked in September for a December cruise and my usual travel agency was only able to offer guarantee cabin fares for Britannia balcony cabins. I was also told that it was possible to wish for a specific area or deck which might or might not be grantedbut they were quite hopeful.

As I simply wanted to sail on that specific cruise I booked and hoped for my small wish to be granted - due to mobility issues I asked for a cabin near the AFT elevators. What I got was the worst deck ( 5) in the category and a cabin next to the FRONT elevators a day after final payment - which means that the computer programme issued the cabin and nobody cared to find a cabin better suited to my needs. I would gladly have paid  a regular fare to have been able to choose my cabin! Lesson learned: Book early or choose another cruise line - Azamara, Celebrity or HAL have been much more accomodating to my special needs if I had to or wanted to book at a late time frame.

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

I booked in September for a December cruise and my usual travel agency was only able to offer guarantee cabin fares for Britannia balcony cabins. I was also told that it was possible to wish for a specific area or deck which might or might not be grantedbut they were quite hopeful.

What I got was the worst deck ( 5) in the category and a cabin next to the FRONT elevators a day after final payment - which means that the computer programme issued the cabin and nobody cared to find a cabin better suited to my needs.

Just wondering if you contacted Cunard directly with your request?
I tend to distrust any reassurances or promises given by a third party.

It is Cunard itself who assigns the staterooms; it is Cunard who is accountable directly to the passenger; it is Cunard that you will be speaking with once aboard the ship.