Valor in Galveston, TX

atxlady

Does anyone know if issues on the Valor today? My brother just told me that they were sent to the Lido deck for lunch, but have yet to get their ID card? That's confusing, as how did they get on the ship w/out the ID card?

Boarding pass. If today is embarkation day they won't get them until 1:30. The S&S cards will be in the mailboxes outside of their rooms.

Greg, Thanks for the info. They are cruise virgins, and I have not cruised with Carnival in 3 yrs, and I didn't know that the cards were delivered to the cabin.

Again Thanks!!!

New system this year. Allows you to skip the check-in line where you used to get your S&S card. Makes for a much quicker embarkation process.

Edited by Saint Greg

I haven’t sailed Carnival since 2002 but we have a cruise booked on the Valor next May. In reading this thread I have a question on the new process of putting S&S cards in mailboxes by the cabins.

How does Carnival protect the cards from getting stolen out of the mailboxes on the first day? Ive never seen the mailboxes; are the cards secure there? It’s concerning that people could take them and run up charges, especially since the S&S cards are attached to your credit card or method of payment.

Greg, Thanks for the info. They are cruise virgins, and I have not cruised with Carnival in 3 yrs, and I didn't know that the cards were delivered to the cabin.

Again Thanks!!!

It happened to us in April on Splendor, and we weren't expecting it so we were a bit freaked out for a bit. But our rooms were ready really early, too and we weren't FTTF or Platinum.

I haven’t sailed Carnival since 2002 but we have a cruise booked on the Valor next May. In reading this thread I have a question on the new process of putting S&S cards in mailboxes by the cabins.

How does Carnival protect the cards from getting stolen out of the mailboxes on the first day? Ive never seen the mailboxes; are the cards secure there? It’s concerning that people could take them and run up charges, especially since the S&S cards are attached to your credit card or method of payment.

I was a but concerned to first time with the new peocess, but then realized you will know the cards are missing if they aren't in the mailbox, and once reported missing you would receive new cards with new folio number. No one would get far stealing the cards because the theft would be known straight away. The Sail and Sign cards are in a closed envelope in the open mail box outside your cabin door, so no one will have your folio number. The folio number is used to make charges to your account.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We have had the new process for several cruises now. We have never had a problem. As other posters mentioned, the cards are sealed in a packet like a credit card pin would come in. You have to tear off the sides to open it. That would alert you in the event they were tampered with. I have not heard of anyone missing their cards from the mailboxes. Once your cabins are ready, the cards are tucked into the side of the mailbox. Once the floodgates open and the rooms are all ready, you can check for your cards. If you are plat,diamond or have FtTF, they will be in your mailbox as soon as you board the ship.

They also leave excursion tickets in the mailbox. If they are not there at the time your room is ready, immediately alert guest services.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you use a passport and the picture looks like you, when they scan it at check in it will save your picture.

If you don't have a passport then they will take it upstairs at guest services if you go there to put cash or are incomplete. Finally, if you don't have a picture when it's time to go to the ship they take it right before you head up the ramp. They will scan your boarding pass, make sure you are good to go, and you will be on your way.

S&& will be outside your room at 130, coincidentally that's your check in time.

Sailing on Valor over Christmas. Looking forward to trying the new system. They also have a new disembarcation system: You pick up the tags yourself based on when you wish to leave the ship. We got to try that on our summer cruise.

Sailing on Valor over Christmas. Looking forward to trying the new system. They also have a new disembarcation system: You pick up the tags yourself based on when you wish to leave the ship. We got to try that on our summer cruise.

And basically everyone takes the lowest tag number available. We had a guy in our roll call who said he wanted to be last off the ship yet he took a low number. I was late learning about the new system and the lowest number when I got to it was 21.

And basically everyone takes the lowest tag number available. We had a guy in our roll call who said he wanted to be last off the ship yet he took a low number. I was late learning about the new system and the lowest number when I got to it was 21.

Yeah, we were almost late getting our tags, too! But we had lots of flexibility, and food was available the entire time we had to wait. Chillaxin.

Every time your S&S card is used your picture shows up on the computer register, which helps avoid someone else using your card. We have been on at least a half dozen cruises now where we got our cards at our cabin and we have never had an issue. I also have not heard of anyone else having a problem.

The only complaint I have heard is people can no longer get into their cabin early, unless they have some kind of priority or FTTF, because room stewards don’t put out the cards until 1:30 PM. Before it was fairly common for people without priority to go to their rooms before 1:30 PM.

Newly retired couple, never sailed before. Going on the Carnival Valor out of Galveston Tx. in Jan 2019. Unsure what to expect on embarkation at the the terminal. Any advise would be appreciated

Are you leaving on a Saturday? It will make a difference in my response.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but do they still take your photo when boarding for the S&S card? Also, if my check-in time is 1:30-2:00, will our S&S cards still be in our mailboxes at 1:30?

Great question, if you do not have a passport or picture, they will take one with their handheld device. If the port handles the s and s card in the mailbox thing, they will all be in the mailbox. Once the cabin is ready, that is. With such a late check in, you should be able to go directly to your room. Some years, when my hairstyle was different from my passport, they would snap another picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every time your S&S card is used your picture shows up on the computer register, which helps avoid someone else using your card. We have been on at least a half dozen cruises now where we got our cards at our cabin and we have never had an issue. I also have not heard of anyone else having a problem.

The only complaint I have heard is people can no longer get into their cabin early, unless they have some kind of priority or FTTF, because room stewards don’t put out the cards until 1:30 PM. Before it was fairly common for people without priority to go to their rooms before 1:30 PM.

And those people are the reason they no longer hand out the cards at embarkation! Now the rooms are locked and only the Priority people get in to drop off their stuff.

I'll be leaving on a Saturday (on the Vista). Is there anything special I should know?

I would imagine those sailing on the Vista will be at terminal 1, but if there is another Carnival ship in port you could be sailing from Terminal 2. Regardless of the terminal, the process is the same.

We arrived at the Terminal in the midst of the Labor Day flooding and check in was super fast because so many people had not yet arrived at the pier. The porters were all huddled inside the luggage area, so we were told to pull our luggage inside and give it to them. After getting rid of the luggage we walked down to the terminal entrance.

We are Diamond so we went in the Priority line, got our passports scanned, went through security and then headed upstairs where we were directed to immediately board the ship. As they scanned our cards it was decided to retake my photo because it had some wavy lines on it as my passport did not scan right. That took all of a second and we were on our way up the ramp onto the gangway.

From arrival at the check in desk to setting foot onboard it was about 7 minutes and would have been quicker if we were not behind some people dragging everything but the kitchen sink with them and blocking the gangway.

We went straight to our cabin, retrieved our room keys from the mailbox, put our carry on bags away and filled the safe. Then off to lunch on the Lido. It was great because there were no lines anywhere and plenty of tables.

We met with the Maitre'D to check our table assignement, went to GS to add some gift cards to our account and just sat around waiting for the muster drill.