Euro Exchange

thirstyman1

Different folks have their own favored ways of dealing with currency exchange. But there are some factoids that might influence the OP. The best exchange rate you can get will be by using an ATM/Debit card at a bank owned ATM in the country you are visiting. European bank ATMs do not generally charge any fees, so your best deal is if you have an ATM issued by a bank or credit union that does not charge fees. In our case we have 3 ATM cards (from 3 different Credit Unions)...none of which charge any fees and even reimburse bank fees charged by other banks.

Once you leave the world of foreign ATMs it is "shopper beware." Cruise ships that have currency exchange generally charge less than favorable rates :(. The best rates ashore are from major foreign banks but there is now a trend where European banks are refusing to exchange currency for non-customers. This leaves you with shopping around at local exchange places (cambios) for the best deal. Also consider that if you are only exchanging a relatively small amount (such as $100) you are probably better off using the most convenient exchange method and paying the few extra dollars. Some cruisers prefer to buy their currency at home, but in our experience the rates (and often fees) are not the best.

Hank

Agree that a ship is not offer the best exchange rates. We also avoid exchanging money at airports or cruise terminals.

We exchange a small amount of money at home, $50 -75, at our bank which doesn’t charge a fee. This gives us money for tips, taxi,etc until we locate a bank ATM. Depending upon where we are, if we believe we will be back in the near future we will get sufficient funds so that we can take home the needed $50 or so for the next trip.

we live in US went to my bank exchanged us to euros at rate posted that day. My bank did not charge for transaction. Rate changes daily but not enough to worry about a few dollars. this way when we get to Italy I will have tip money for cabs , luggage etc.

I am getting Euros from my AAA local office. Would you suggest a mixture of 50 and 20 Euros or should I get 10's and 5's? I am getting a number of 100 Euro so I can put the correct amounts in envelopes for each tour we are taking plus enough for tip.

I am getting Euros from my AAA local office. Would you suggest a mixture of 50 and 20 Euros or should I get 10's and 5's? I am getting a number of 100 Euro so I can put the correct amounts in envelopes for each tour we are taking plus enough for tip.

If you do your homework and do the math, you will find that getting Euro from AAA is probably the worst place in the U.S. to get Euro. Today the interbank rate for one Euro will cost you $1.15. If you go to AAA, it will probably cost you $1.35 for one Euro.

Your best bet is getting Euro from a Bank ATM in Europe.