Price increase of Behind the Scenes tour and dining packages on Edge

MisterBill99

I booked the Behind the Scenes tour for my 1/27 Edge sailing a few weeks ago since I have a bunch of non-refundable OBC. The price was $99, which was the normal price and I normally wouldn't pay it but I figured it would be interesting to see on Edge (I've never done one of these before, plus I have the non-refundable OBC). I just went into the Cruise Planner and I see that the price is now $119! This follows the increase of the dining packages -- I bought that for my other sailing for $125 for 4 nights and when I looked at it recently for the 1/27 sailing it was up to $165! Needless to say I did not buy it for the 2nd cruise and will just book the one(s) I want to try a second time.

I assume the dining package increase has been mentioned here although I couldn't find it. I was surprised about the Behind the Scenes increase because that was a recent change so it may be new news.

I booked the Behind the Scenes tour for my 1/27 Edge sailing a few weeks ago since I have a bunch of non-refundable OBC. The price was $99, which was the normal price and I normally wouldn't pay it but I figured it would be interesting to see on Edge (I've never done one of these before, plus I have the non-refundable OBC). I just went into the Cruise Planner and I see that the price is now $119! This follows the increase of the dining packages -- I bought that for my other sailing for $125 for 4 nights and when I looked at it recently for the 1/27 sailing it was up to $165! Needless to say I did not buy it for the 2nd cruise and will just book the one(s) I want to try a second time.

I assume the dining package increase has been mentioned here although I couldn't find it. I was surprised about the Behind the Scenes increase because that was a recent change so it may be new news.

I’m glad I was able to get my Behind the Scenes tour at the lower price.[emoji2]

Yes, there's nothing like a price increase to make you feel glad about buying something you previously thought was overpriced!

So true! :D The Edge roll out has been a good lesson in supply and demand. Many staterooms have doubled in price, Thermal Spa pass prices jumped within a few months, dining package prices went up (though understandable that it would be more expensive than other X ships' packages since the restaurants are more expensive) and now the ship's tour is up a bit. I actually got a Chef's Market Tour for $159 early on (on sale from $199) that is now priced at $239 (not sure if that holds true for all ships offering that tour).

Early responders generally did well with Edge purchases. Not that I would be able to book my S1 now at about $12,000 total, but I am happy with my $5648 price on day 1. My excitement about the ship led me to jump aboard early with everything I wanted to book so I can gloat a little about my savings. Hopefully the experience will be so amazing that we (and others) will return to Edge Class, even with higher costs. :D

Maybe dh would enjoy this....we'll see if prices come down and when it is offered,,,maybe while I am in the spa!

I see Elite perks list include a behind the scenes theater tour, comp.

That might be very interesting .

Do E plus guests still get invited to a Culinary and or Bridge tour?

The Tour is back down to $99 this morning. I wanted to wait for another flash sale but figured I would just pay $99 today and if there is a flash sale before I sail, I will call for a refund. So, if anyone is interested I would buy it now before it goes back up to $119. I learned my lesson not buying the SEA thermal spa pass at $249 and how it’s up to $399.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Tour is back down to $99 this morning. I wanted to wait for another flash sale but figured I would just pay $99 today and if there is a flash sale before I sail, I will call for a refund. So, if anyone is interested I would buy it now before it goes back up to $119. I learned my lesson not buying the SEA thermal spa pass at $249 and how it’s up to $399.

Interesting.. I still see it at $119 for my 1/20 and 1/27 sailings.

Interesting.. I still see it at $119 for my 1/20 and 1/27 sailings.

Hmm. Maybe it’s almost full on your sailings. I looked last week for 12/6 and 12/9, my sailings, and it was $119 as well. This morning it was $99, so I jumped on it! Oh X and their inconsistent prices. Glad you and I got it for the lower price!

Where do I find it on the Cruise Planner?

And do you get to pick a set time.?

Would not usually pay for this but I think DH might enjoy...me too!

Look under Shore Excursions -> Sea Days. Yes, you reserve a specific day/time.

This is nothing new, they've been selling it for years. But I've never thought it was worth buying. But I've never had $450 of non-refundable OBC to use on a cruise, either. Plus the new ship thing.

Thanks Mr Bill and M Campo...

Hope we find a time that works with spa appts, CC party etc..

Even if I can't go... DH can go while I spa

Also hoping for a comp back stage tour, if offered

Lots about EDGE will be unique,,...

. He did the free culinary tour and enjoyed it, and we have attended several comp bridge tours..

Thanks Mr Bill and M Campo...

Hope we find a time that works with spa appts, CC party etc..

Even if I can't go... DH can go while I spa

. He did the free culinary tour and enjoyed it, and we have attended several comp bridge tours..

On both my cruises the only option for time is 10 am. It’s a two hour tour. On my 7 day it’s on the first and last Sea Day! On my first celebrity cruise 10 years ago, this was a free tour. However, on every other cruise it has been for a fee. We are only doing it because My DH, as well will find it very interesting given it’s a new ship! I am also hoping for the theatre tour and the bridge Tour via CC.

Yes, they should still do the backstage tour. I also enjoy the galley tours, do them every sailings even though I've already seen them. I like to ask questions :).

My DH did a Behind the Scenes Tour on the Reflection a few years ago when she was new. It was $99 then, but included lunch at the Lawn Club Grill with some officers. He thoroughly enjoyed the tour and his lunch with the officers. There were only about 8 in his group - I remember that it almost was canceled because they didn't have the minimum the day before, but were able to get a couple more people. This time we are both going to go on the tour to see all of the new bells and whistles behind the scenes. :D

I imagine that they will offer the usual complimentary galley tour and maybe they will have others on this new class of ship, such as the theater (I have seen that offered as a Captain's Club benefit, but haven't done one), Magic Carpet (how is it operated, where does it go and all of the features) or new technology onboard (such as a tour of all the things with the xray technology). Lots of possibilities!

We booked it for our 1/27 cruise...Price was $ 119 pp..

.If it goes down we'll call for a credit like we did when excursion prices went down.

We picked 10 am...last sea day. At that point we may know our way around some places on the ship and behind the scenes tour will broaden our knowledge.

I'll list some highlights a bit later

Places on the 2 hour tour :

Main Dining Rm...not specified

Main Galley

Provisioning

Engine Control Room

I 95..Crew corridor

Laundry

The Bridge

Seems interesting and we'll have a nice long walk..

We will request sign up for the Theater tour as soon as meet our Cap Club rep

• 1 month later...

So I just looked at the Cruise Planner for my 1/20 sailing and the price of the tour was up to $149! Tried to check the 1/27 sailing but the website is acting up (surprise!) and I cannot get into the Cruise Planner for that one.

They're also selling a new Backstage Access: Edge Theatre Tour for $119.

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow..looks like you got the best price at $99... and no hope that we will do better than what we paid...$119

Yes, I booked early since I had non-refundable OBC that was available to spend online. Same for my 4 night specialty dining package that also jumped in price.

• 2 months later...

So we're back from our cruises and wanted to mention that the Behind the Scenes tour was excellent. I spoke to the Shore Excursions person onboard about the high online pricing and he said that they had complained to corporate about it. I'm pretty sure he said that they were charging $129 for it so if the price is too high online, wait and book it on board. Also, they added extra tours that were not originally available for booking. I changed to one of the new times and only had 7 people (the list said 11 but 4 were no-shows). The original tour time an hour later had 20+ people on it.

I also did the Backstage Access Tour in the theater because I was so impressed with the technology there. It was only $89 when I booked it the week before the cruise and i still had some non-refundable OBC to use. It was well worth it because it was much more thorough than the old Elite theater tour (which is now just a Q&A on Edge). We even got to ride one of the elevator platforms up to the stage! 

Bottom line is that I highly recommend both tours!

Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks for the feedback.  We did a "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Millennium in 2017 -- we also had a large amount of non-refundable OBC.  My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed it, and the first time we are on the Edge (we have ten future X cruise reservations, but none at this time on the Edge) we will consider it.