Sail away from NY

fizzy1

Any idea of sail away time from NY to Southampton ? On QM2 b2b from Southampton next Aug so just looking at how much time there is for a stroll in Manhattan. I know there may be bus tours but is there a shuttle maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any idea of sail away time from NY to Southampton ? On QM2 b2b from Southampton next Aug so just looking at how much time there is for a stroll in Manhattan. I know there may be bus tours but is there a shuttle maybe?

There is no shuttle bus but they do put on a Manhatten Transfer from Red Hook and it costs at the moment $49pp and all it does it takes you into Manhatten and drops you off at Macy's for 9am ish depending on traffic and they pick ypu up for return journey at 2-30pm. QM2 usually leaves New York at 5pm.

There is no shuttle bus but they do put on a Manhatten Transfer from Red Hook and it costs at the moment $49pp and all it does it takes you into Manhatten and drops you off at Macy's for 9am ish depending on traffic and they pick ypu up for return journey at 2-30pm. QM2 usually leaves New York at 5pm.

Thanks

There's a second transit option for Manhattan that might be interesting. The B61 bus runs from central Brooklyn very close to the dock, with connections to several subway lines that serve mid-town at the northern terminus of the bus line. I posted on this a few years ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47304542&postcount=19

One disadvantage of the bus-subway option for visitors is that the bus only accepts US coins in the fare box. The usual payment form is a metro card but I don't think there's anywhere close to the pier to get one so you would likely need start with US coins to get into Brooklyn. You might consider going into Manhattan on the ferry (the machine there takes credit cards) and you could then buy a fare card in when you get off the ferry and use it for the rest of the day.

Roy

There's a second transit option for Manhattan that might be interesting. The B61 bus runs from central Brooklyn very close to the dock, with connections to several subway lines that serve mid-town at the northern terminus of the bus line. I posted on this a few years ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47304542&postcount=19

One disadvantage of the bus-subway option for visitors is that the bus only accepts US coins in the fare box. The usual payment form is a metro card but I don't think there's anywhere close to the pier to get one so you would likely need start with US coins to get into Brooklyn. You might consider going into Manhattan on the ferry (the machine there takes credit cards) and you could then buy a fare card in when you get off the ferry and use it for the rest of the day.

Roy

Yes, as earlier post suggested ,we do like the idea of the ferry . We know NY well so that would be great for a few hours stroll . Thanks Roy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got the ferry this summer from Red Hook to Wall Street and can say that the Ferry is a great way of getting into Manhattan. You get the views of the city as you arrive from the River front, if you want good pictures the Ferry in summer is the way to go!

I got the ferry this summer from Red Hook to Wall Street and can say that the Ferry is a great way of getting into Manhattan. You get the views of the city as you arrive from the River front, if you want good pictures the Ferry in summer is the way to go!

Excellent . Looks like i think we will do that as we know everyone has to get off the ship but we would rather wait on board till the rush has gone

Excellent . Looks like i think we will do that as we know everyone has to get off the ship but we would rather wait on board till the rush has gone

About how long does the ferry journey take ?

About how long does the ferry journey take ?

About 20/25mins from Brooklyn (Pier6) to Wall Street (Pier 11)

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Just to make sure we're clear on the names of the ferry stops, it's the Red Hook (Atlantic Basin) ferry stop that's immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and QM2. The journey time between the Red Hook stop and Wall Street/Pier 11 is about 20-22 minutes.

Just to make sure we're clear on the names of the ferry stops, it's the Red Hook (Atlantic Basin) ferry stop that's immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and QM2. The journey time between the Red Hook stop and Wall Street/Pier 11 is about 20-22 minutes.

Xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Forums