What would you do re: bar package

pamrose228

So I’m booked for a 13 day TA with lots of perks one of them the bar package. My dilemma is both of us have to take the package and I am diabetic and don’t drink fruity cocktails or alcohol. My main beverage is bottled water and specialty coffee. Not included DH will have two glasses of wine and a fruity cocktail in the evening and soda but that’s it should I pay the grats for both of us even though I’ll drink club soda with lemon most of the days. Also last 7 days very Port intensive very little time for bar. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It does not take many drinks to hit $40 a day. A couple of decent glasses of wine will get you pretty close. Also when you have the UBP you most folks tend to drink a bit more. So those two glasses of wine might be 3 or an extra beer or two. It also makes it easier to have a desert wine or after dinner drink that you might not usually have or try drinks you might not have tried.

Drinking on a cruise is not the same as drinking in real life. In my real life, I *might* have two beers on a normal day (not every day). I might have 1-2 mimosas at brunch on Sunday. I do have a little Bailey's in my coffee in the evening most nights when I am at home.

Drinking on the cruise, I have 1-2 mimosas or screwdrivers at breakfast, a drink before lunch, a couple of drinks in the afternoon, a drink with dinner, and a couple of drinks after dinner. If your husband is likely to do the same sort of thing, where he spreads his drinks out over the many hours on a cruise, you will still save money by getting the UBP for both of you. If he really does stick to 2-3 drinks per day, then it really would depend on the price of the drinks involved.

Most drinks are $10.95 which is about $13 after gratuity, so you need maybe 3 a day between you to break even. You can get soda also, which is about $4.50

My wife doesn't drink and I had maybe two a day, but we had sodas. Overall, it probably wasn't worth it. I'd take another perk if its an option.

In your situation, I would forgo the drink package and do a pay-as-you-go on liquid enjoyment. Perhaps there is another perk you could choose instead?

I have the dinstintive cruise perk all perks including $100 excursion credit , 4 dining specialty meals, unlimited free WiFi, 2 hours phone calls

I don't know if you would feel comfortable or not but if you choose to get the Unlimited drink package a doctor's note may allow you not to get it and pay the service charge for the package. Of course, most likely NCL would not let you substitute something else but it is worth the try.

I don't know if you would feel comfortable or not but if you choose to get the Unlimited drink package a doctor's note may allow you not to get it and pay the service charge for the package. Of course, most likely NCL would not let you substitute something else but it is worth the try.

When I told them I couldn’t drink for health purposes they never suggested this unfornatrly NCL does not have a non alcoholic package

Well I just tried to book and you must do air and hotel to get the perk, problem is no hotel rooms on days after ship docks.

So I said well being as you have no hotel inventory and can not honor you should remove from web site, he got huffy and said I just answer the phones grrrr

PLEASE delete wrong thread

I don’t like to advise folks on dietary measures but being a diabetic (I am type 2 if that matters)does not mean you can’t drink. I agree, the fruity drinks are too high in carbs except for an occasional treat, but vodka itself has 0 carbs and you can always request grey goose in your glass of club soda and lemon. That drink is carb free and harmless to your blood sugar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t like to advise folks on dietary measures but being a diabetic (I am type 2 if that matters)does not mean you can’t drink. I agree, the fruity drinks are too high in carbs except for an occasional treat, but vodka itself has 0 carbs and you can always request grey goose in your glass of club soda and lemon. That drink is carb free and harmless to your blood sugar.

Exactly, that's why Dirty Martini's /Vodka and Diet Cola/Diet lemon lime have become my drink of choice.

No "fruity drinks" for me!

That would be fine if I were a regular type 2 but unfortunately I am insulin dependent and had a very complicated pancreatic surgery several years ago.

Was on the Epic with a UBP and am a very light drinker. I can tell you I drank the living daylights out of club sodas- well past the equal of the tip amount. Forget about the booze, just get it and drink what you want regardless.

we didn't get the UBP for a 15 day cruise because I seldom drink and hubby doesn't drink much - however, we were sorry as it ended up costing us more without it... even sodas add up... and at night everyone is chatting at the various bars - a drink here and there without the package adds up!

I am also type 1 and I don't drink. Too much complication and I can not risk masking a low with a buzz. For my family, it would not be worth it. We instead buy the soda package.

This was my thought buy a 24 pack of water a specialty coffee a day and I get what I want. DH will bring a couple bottles of Pinot pay the $15 corkage fee. And have wine for most of our trip. Maybe buy a soda package for him.

This was my thought buy a 24 pack of water a specialty coffee a day and I get what I want. DH will bring a couple bottles of Pinot pay the $15 corkage fee. And have wine for most of our trip. Maybe buy a soda package for him.

That works!

Two notes. First, the water is in liter bottles, so 24 might be overkill. Second, the ship's water is perfectly drinkable. It is desalinated and filtered right on the ship. So bring a refillable water bottle and save yourself even more money!