Safety while touring Costa Maya

We will be stopping at Costa Maya on our cruise. Is there any reason to be concerned with our safety while taking a tour? We will be going to the ruins at Chacchoben with Native Choice. My husband has read online warnings issued by the state dept. and now he's getting me wondering how safe are we?

We used Native Choice for our tour of the Mayan ruins a couple of years ago. I organized a group from our roll call. We had a very modern bus to take us there and back and the tour itself was excellent.

They were very responsive to all email and we had a man that walked his wife to the tour office before departure, but, looked sick. He really just came so she would go on the tour and then he returned to the ship. The company returned the man's fee to the woman while we were on the tour. she did not ask them to do this. . . . but, they are that kind of company.

The only disadvantage was you must walk or taxi to their office a short distance out of the port. They return you inside the port. I was not that bad and there were lots of people on the street for the walk.

We will be stopping at Costa Maya on our cruise. Is there any reason to be concerned with our safety while taking a tour? We will be going to the ruins at Chacchoben with Native Choice. My husband has read online warnings issued by the state dept. and now he's getting me wondering how safe are we?

been there, done that, and didn't feel unsafe. It does pay to be cautious especially in New York. Chicago OTOH is way too dangerous to visit. One word of caution though, The Brilliance of the Seas is not Penny's Boat.

Steven

Thanks for the quick replies. I think he is more concerned about on the road-it may sound silly but drug cartel incidents with tourists getting in the way, shootings that kind of thing.

Tampatramp-thank god we are on Adventure of the Seas!! I think Penny is there!

The warnings are overblown. We travel to Mexico every year for two weeks and have never felt unsafe. The drug cartel are not interested in your tour group unless one of you is a member of a rival gang. My husband was recently in Costa Maya and said it has built up but was still safe and he walks around and does not do organized tours. Be aware of your surroundings like traveling anywhere and don't do anything stupid and you will be fine. Tour operators depend on tourists so they want to keep you safe. You will love the ruins from there. I did it years ago and it was one of my favorites.

Thanks for the quick replies. I think he is more concerned about on the road-it may sound silly but drug cartel incidents with tourists getting in the way, shootings that kind of thing.

If it was all that unsafe, the ship wouldn't go there

There isn't much cartel activity in the Yucatan, it'd be like worrying about criminal activity in Atlanta while visiting Miami. Or LA and visiting Orlando. And an increase of homicides can be 10 instead of 2.

The roads between the port and Chacchoben aren't too busy, the busiest area is right outside where locals sell pineapple.

Our Daughter and Grand Daughter when with Native Choice Mayan Lunch and Ruins and enjoyed it very much. We walked them to the Native Choice Office and saw them off on a very modern bus. They were dropped off at the port after the tour. This was on the Liberty in August of 2018. The walk was fine, We stopped at a drug store on the walk back to the ship. This area is not very developed but it felt safe. The Native Choice operation appeared very professional with uniformed full time employees and nice vehicles.

The big problem with the road to Chacchoben is that it is dead straight (one slight curve) for many miles. Very boring ride with scrub brush to look at. Our driver knew the driver on the RCI tour that crashed on it - basically hypnotized. A few small villages, but you are basically out in the middle of nowhere going to the ruins.

The tour companies are just outside the port (and you have to walk 3/4 of a circle of shops just to get to the exit) and are pretty much in small offices along the road. We booked with Tucan Tours (through Shore Excursioneer). We felt very comfortable walking outside the port, on the drive and at the ruins. Security isn't an issue in this port. And we only had four people, the driver and our guide in the van. The people in the port are pretty much all in the tourist business and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Chaccoben is not crowded, facilities are well-maintained and well-run. We enjoyed the trip and wouldn't hesitate going back. But is was a long ride.

Edited by LeeW
more